The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

What is the PS-1 For?

bubbasweet
    bubbasweet

What is the PS-1 For? Empty What is the PS-1 For?

Post by bubbasweet Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:35 pm

I bought 2 PAM-1 Mono preamps.. They each have a seperate power cord and then this PS-1 has a cable going to each mono preamp and also has it's own power cord. Why do they need a separate power supply when each already has a power cord?

Also does the PAM-1 have a built in Phono amp?

THX
    GP49

What is the PS-1 For? Empty Re: What is the PS-1 For?

Post by GP49 Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:36 pm

PAM-1 has built-in phono amp with switchable equalization.

PAM-1 has no power transformer, rectifier or capacitor bank and requires an external supply to provide B+ and filament voltage.  This can come from either a Dynaco power amp or the PS-1.  The AC cords on the PAM-1s provide power for the AC accessory outlets.
    bubbasweet
    bubbasweet

Post by bubbasweet Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:13 am

wow lol THX GP49. I looked all over the internet and didn't find that info. How do these PAM-1 pre amps sound? I am planning on using it with a turntable and going into 2 Mk3s..

I gather if you power them by the Mk3 Power amps and not the external supply, then you would need to come off the tube sockets in the front of the Mk3s with some cables.

THX for the response..
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:01 pm

The Dynaco (Dynakit) PS-1 is exactly as GP49 has mentioned above. See PS-1 photo, pictorial and schematic photo below ..

Bob

What is the PS-1 For? PS-1%20composite_zpsgozmddgk
    GP49

Post by GP49 Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:21 pm

bubbasweet wrote:wow lol THX GP49. I looked all over the internet and didn't find that info. How do these PAM-1 pre amps sound? I am planning on using it with a turntable and going into 2 Mk IIIs

Basically the audio circuitry is identical to the PAS preamps.  The phono stage has switchable equalization to select from several different curves besides RIAA.  You would plug your PAMs into the Mark III octal sockets for power supply and the Mark III AC cords into one of the PAMs...and also the AC power cord of the other PAM, so you can switch the whole setup on and off from only one PAM.  

A rarity: the Dynaco stereo adapter that combined two PAMs onto one faceplate with a common volume and balance control.  It was supplanted by the PAS-2, which was much cheaper and less cumbersome.  However, those who collect early-50s LPs that had different equalization curves...all of these are mono...still like and use the PAM.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:17 am