The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Dynaco A25 Speaker Wood stain/mark question for the wood restoration in the know..

bubbasweet
    bubbasweet

Dynaco A25 Speaker Wood stain/mark question for the wood restoration in the know.. Empty Dynaco A25 Speaker Wood stain/mark question for the wood restoration in the know..

Post by bubbasweet Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:04 pm

Anyone know how I can get this mark off the top of this A25 Speaker? The marked area is perfectly smooth. Just has this mark like there was a vase on it and the sun faded or something. I do not really want to sand but might be the only way. Any tips?

Apparently I cannot post a link because I am a new member. I can PM if you message I guess. THX
    GP49

Dynaco A25 Speaker Wood stain/mark question for the wood restoration in the know.. Empty Re: Dynaco A25 Speaker Wood stain/mark question for the wood restoration in the know..

Post by GP49 Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:30 pm

One of my A-10s is like that. My parents had a vase on it...and it was in the sun. What happened was that under the vase was the original unfaded color, while the rest had faded. Applying linseed oil and rubbing it in got things closer but not matching. Thinking about it, I considered a wood bleach to lighten up the unfaded area and then restain the whole top panel. But then I'd have to match colors, and the faded area still might not stain the same. I decided not to do it, and put a small sculpture on top of it instead.
    vtshopdog
    vtshopdog

Dynaco A25 Speaker Wood stain/mark question for the wood restoration in the know.. Empty Re: Dynaco A25 Speaker Wood stain/mark question for the wood restoration in the know..

Post by vtshopdog Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:43 pm

Wood Nerd stuff is kinda up my alley  First, whatever you decide to do, try it first on a small hidden test area!!  Sometimes things don't go the way we plan.

Unable to view a photo I'll assume you have either a water mark or a darker area protected from sun fading.  How to mitigate will depend on your original finish.  If you want to avoid doing a full refinish you could try a product like Tung oil or Watco Danish oil. You will likely end up having to do both speakers as they probably won't match after your apply oil to one.

I wet sand Watco all the time, try 400 or 600 grit. Basically flood the surface, wet sand, leave for 10-15 minutes then wipe off with a rag.  The material removed from the wood by sanding will blend with the oil, smear around the surface and sort of mix the colors together.  This likely will not fully remove your spot, but it will be less visible.   If its sun faded, a but of UV exposure will catch it up to the rest of the wood.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:58 am

Howard's Restore-A-Finish has worked well for me over the years. Rub it with the grain with 00000 bronze wool or even a rag will work. You probably want the mahogany flavour. Then if you want to get totally anal-retentive, a coat or two of tung oil or Watco or even some good wax buffed out and you'll have a very nice and bullet-proof finish without losing any wood. Those veneers (I have A-35s but this applies to about any speaker) are only a bit thicker than a sheet of paper so keep the sander in its lair or you'll be looking at particle-board before you know it.
    P.S. Some people just use a bit of shoe polish to get rid of water stains.
    Dave
    bubbasweet
    bubbasweet

Post by bubbasweet Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:37 pm

Here is the before and after. I had it profesionally sanded and I teak oiled after. I do not think any stain was used.

Dynaco A25 Speaker Wood stain/mark question for the wood restoration in the know.. 63uirc

Dynaco A25 Speaker Wood stain/mark question for the wood restoration in the know.. 2s8ioa8

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 am