The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

Audiobill has earned his doctorate

Kentley

Audiobill has earned his doctorate

Post by Kentley on Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:04 am

Many of you know our own "audiobill" as a witty and knowlegeable contributor to this forum. Some of you know that he has taken the task of building VTA products for dozens of our less-than- handy customers. A few know him as a patient personal assistant who helps us through the intricacies of setting up some new doohickie or process.
    Well, Bill has a new and important function in the VTA hierarchy - that of Amp Doctor.
    My own VTA ST-120 had its first birthday last week. I had become concerned with certain peculiar symptoms and mysterious growing pains. Such as rectifier intermittancies. And oddities in the bias circuit.
    So I arranged for Bill to do a complete diagnostic, and work out a treatment program.
    Well, Dr. Bill has all the surgical tools and diagnostic apparatii to accomplish this quickly, cheaply, and completely.
    In my case, the biggest problem I had was mangled pin connectors in my rectifier socket. Snip, snip, solder, test - and my circuit is perfect again with brand-new socket inserts, something this old fart would have botched, resulting more than likely in maiming injury or even Death to the ailing amplifier.
    In addition, the Good Doc took my even younger SP-14 to his clinic where he transplanted a pair of lovely Mundorf SGO coupling caps, so now I have the pleasure of a choice between Russian PIOs and the amazing Mundies.
    Don't we go to an M.D. for a thorough checkup every year? Most of us do - because we know enough to know what we don't know. Why not treat your VTA gear to the same consideration?
    And if you are very lucky, and Fate is on your side, Dr. Bill may even arrange to make a house call. WHAT???!!!
    P.M. audiobill and discuss this action. Your amp and your Peace of Mind will thank you.                                
      Kentley

Last edited by Kentley on Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : stupid spelling)

deepee99

Re: Audiobill has earned his doctorate

Post by deepee99 on Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:01 am

Kentley wrote:Many of you know our own "audiobill" as a witty and knowlegeable contributor to this forum. Some of you know that he has taken the task of building VTA products for dozens of our less-than- handy customers. A few know him as a patient personal assistant who helps us through the intricacies of setting up some new doohickie or process.
    Well, Bill has a new and important function in the VTA heirarchy - that of Amp Doctor.
    My own VTA ST-120 had its first birthday last week. I had become concerned with certain peculiar symptoms and mysterious growing pains. Such as rectifier intermittancies. And oddities in the bias circuit.
    So I arranged for Bill to do a complete diagnostic, and work out a treatment program.
    Well, Dr. Bill has all the surgical tools and diagnostic apparatii to accomplish this quickly, cheaply, and completely.
    In my case, the biggest problem I had was mangled pin connectors in my rectifier socket. Snip, snip, solder, test - and my circuit is perfect again with brand-new socket inserts, something this old fart would have botched, resulting more than likely in maiming injury or even Death to the ailing amplifier.
    In addition, the Good Doc took my even younger SP-14 to his clinic where he transplanted a pair of lovely Mundorf SGO coupling caps, so now I have the pleasure of a choice between Russian PIOs and the amazing Mundies.
    Don't we go to an M.D. for a thorough checkup every year? Most of us do - because we know enough to know what we don't know. Why not treat your VTA gear to the same consideration?
    And if you are very lucky, and Fate is on your side, Dr. Bill may even arrange to make a house call. WHAT???!!!
    P.M. audiobill and discuss this action. Your amp and your Peace of Mind will thank you.                                
      Kentley

May I second Kentley's emotion? While Audio Bill has not physically worked on any of my gear, he has talked me through some technical issues it would have taken me weeks at the library to figure out. He is generous to a fault with his time and wisdom. Were we not on opposite sides of the continent and shipping for these heavy and fragile things so expensive, I would impose upon him for annual physicals as well. Fortunately, Holger lives within a day's drive and I get good service from him. But yes, Bill gets the M.D. rating in our household. Also he is a very fine musician - always a plus when you're diagnosing audio gear. Musicians are by nature very finicky about their sound and are used to sleeping on park benches or VW buses and living on Twinkies and power bars.

thompson12

Post by thompson12 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:13 am

Yes Bill is a good guy he hooked me up with the upgrade resistors for my M125 mono block built

Mitch

bluemeanies

Post by bluemeanies on Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:09 am

Had to jump in here noting accolades for audiobill.
    I met audiobill thru another forum after he read my thread about trying to attain music nirvana and my disappointment with a B&M store I have been dealing with over a number of years.
    Bill was most gracious to invite me to his home.
    I was truly impressed with what I heard coming from bill's m125's and his 20 year old, home built Genesis speakers with external crossovers that audiobill built himself.
    I new from Bills' quick unhesitated answers to my questions that he knew what he was talking about and felt confident about his SUGGESTIONS on how I could improve my 2channel listening experience.
    Bill has always been there to answer my questions by phone even when he is on vacation!
    That's service!
    Dedication and friendship which I place a higher value on is more than what I bargained for from meeting audiobill.
    PS...a damn good JAZZ guitarist as well.
    Tube questions, repairs, new build on your VTA amplifier audiobill is your connection.

"TUBES RESISTANCE IS FUTILE"

audiobill

Post by audiobill on Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:11 pm

Thanks, all!!!!

I live to serve, I serve to live. !!!!!

pedrocols

Post by pedrocols on Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:41 pm

Precisely! Bill gave me an honest suggestion when I asked him about powering my current speakers with the M125's...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 9:31 pm