The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Replacing selenium rectifier on PAM

bubbasweet
    bubbasweet

Replacing selenium rectifier on PAM Empty Replacing selenium rectifier on PAM

Post by bubbasweet Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:55 pm

I have seen a few posts about this. Is there anyone that has the replacement procedure to Silicon Diodes in a little more depth? I will also replace Caps 1000uF 50V should be good? I have the schematic. Is it just as easy as putting the Silicon Diodes where the Selenium diodes go in the schem? THX
    peterh
    peterh

Replacing selenium rectifier on PAM Empty Re: Replacing selenium rectifier on PAM

Post by peterh Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:34 am

It should be that easy. Mechanically you might need a solder strip.
    GP49

Replacing selenium rectifier on PAM Empty Re: Replacing selenium rectifier on PAM

Post by GP49 Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:07 pm

You really could very probably get away with soldering a silicon diode across the old selenium rectifier, using it as a tie-strip.  The silicon is lower resistance so the presence of the selenium rectifier, especially if it has gone high-resistance (that's what happens to nearly all of them when they get old), won't make any electrical difference.
    bubbasweet
    bubbasweet

Post by bubbasweet Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:16 am

Anyone know if any added resistance is needed as only .7 across a diode? or just the IN4007s. Also do any of you use 2 diodes per side or is one good enough. I suppose I am over thinking.
    Tubes4ever
    Tubes4ever

Post by Tubes4ever Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:19 am

One diode is enough.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:10 am