The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

Why remote control for my lazy butt??

novisnick
    novisnick

Why remote control for my lazy butt?? Empty Why remote control for my lazy butt??

Post by novisnick Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:23 pm

Just wondering why there is no option for a volume controll on any pre amps?
    Signal interference? Cost?

Yes, I can be that lazy!!
    Just very curious.
    Thanks in advance for any response. Question
    Maintarget
    Maintarget

Why remote control for my lazy butt?? Empty Re: Why remote control for my lazy butt??

Post by Maintarget Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:49 pm

Not sure if it is still an option but the web site currently lists at the bottom of the page under options for SP-14
    "ask about the new Khozmo 64 step attenuator with remote control - it's $280, a bargain!"
    I would talk to Roy when he gets back from vacation.
    novisnick
    novisnick

Why remote control for my lazy butt?? Empty Re: Why remote control for my lazy butt??

Post by novisnick Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:27 pm

Thanks so much! Will do!
    Kentley
    Kentley

Post by Kentley Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:22 pm

One of the nice things about VTA pre's is their roominess inside. There's plenty of clearance for the mechanisms and additional board necessary for the remote function. It's an easy mod. Except for the remote IR sensor, which must be mounted on the front panel. That's not something I'd want to do at home. When I bought my SP-14 months ago, I considered the remote option, thinking there are many aftermarket possibilities cheaper than the superb Khozmo. One thought I had was to use the hole cut for one of the channel gains, since I really have no use for them.
    In short, it's doable with a bit of ingenuity if you can't afford the Khozmo.
    In my case, I simply realized that the exertion of getting off my lazy rump more than once per millenium was good for my longevity. It's only a six-foot hike, all downhill, both ways.  bounce
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:34 pm

anything you want is an option, even if it doesn't show up as an option.
    I spent 5-6 years looking for a remote control that wasn't junk..
    You can always buy a cheap motorized ALPS volume control on ebay for $40 if you're cheap and lazy,
    but you'll turn a great preamp into a so-so preamp.
    I've found 3 remotes actually worth buying, two are over $400, the last is the Khozmo 64 step attenuator which is a volume only remote,
    no source selection with remote, and it's a bargain at $280, but not practical as a retro-fit unless you want to pay another $120 for a new front panel if you want the volume displayed. If you don't need the display, it can fit where the original volume control was,
    and you'll just need one extra small hole for the sensor.

Another good option is from BentAudio, they have a couple of different remotes,
    one is a stepper for a Goldpoint attenuator, another will also do source selection.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:05 pm

My butt's pretty much automatic ... never heard of one with a remote!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 am