The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products


    cleaning the pins on your tubes

    Share

    rustybutt

    Posts : 30
    Join date : 2015-01-12
    Location : Alameda, California

    cleaning the pins on your tubes

    Post by rustybutt on Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:15 am

    With New Old Stock tubes there is often oxidation on the pins which can make for a less than perfect contact when inserted into a tube socket.

    How do y'all clean the pins on your tubes if you feel they need it?

    wgallupe

    Posts : 81
    Join date : 2014-05-18
    Age : 62
    Location : Central Mass.

    Re: cleaning the pins on your tubes

    Post by wgallupe on Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:28 am

    I use a small emery board (fingernail file) to scrub each pin then follow with Caig Pro Gold.

    PeterCapo

    Posts : 380
    Join date : 2008-12-05

    Re: cleaning the pins on your tubes

    Post by PeterCapo on Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:22 am

    I've used combinations of brushes, alcohol prep swabs, alcohol wipes, compressed air.  I'd also like to get one of these at some point: http://youtu.be/R1hFEnAKB0s

    The Caig products are popular and tempting.  But, I am leery of transferring a film of it to the socket contacts, and then at some point resoldering a lead, which might then turn the Caig stuff to sludge.

    sKiZo

    Posts : 1287
    Join date : 2013-04-01
    Location : Michigan USA

    Re: cleaning the pins on your tubes

    Post by sKiZo on Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:39 pm

    99% iso alcohol, pipe cleaners, and a padded vise ... just drop some alky on the pipe cleaner, thread it between the pins from all possible angles and drag it back and forth lightly. The vise is optional, but hey, long as I got it ...

    Easiest cleaning method really is just pulling and reinserting the tube in the socket. This scrubs off any oxidation exactly where the pins and socket make contact.

    bluemeanies

    Posts : 119
    Join date : 2015-02-09
    Age : 66
    Location : Folsom Pa.

    Re: cleaning the pins on your tubes

    Post by bluemeanies on Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:26 am

    Have not had to do any cleaning but have looked on "you tube" about pin cleaning and socket cleaning.
    Some people have used an EXACTO knife for the pins holding the glass with a microfiber cloth.
    Also a dremel tool is very helpful with less effort.

    deepee99

    Posts : 1260
    Join date : 2012-05-23
    Location : Wallace, Idaho

    Re: cleaning the pins on your tubes

    Post by deepee99 on Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:04 pm

    I just squirt a bit of de-oxit into the socket holes and work the tube in and out, as Skizo suggests. That will get rid of 90 percent of the crud. Then a bit of retentioning for the sockets.
    For really nasty pins, a nail file or some 5-ought bronze wool will shine 'em right up, too.

    bluemeanies

    Posts : 119
    Join date : 2015-02-09
    Age : 66
    Location : Folsom Pa.

    Re: cleaning the pins on your tubes

    Post by bluemeanies on Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:03 pm

    Just received this little baby today..$20.78 including shipping...and it works
    Tube cleaning detail


    deepee99

    Posts : 1260
    Join date : 2012-05-23
    Location : Wallace, Idaho

    Re: cleaning the pins on your tubes

    Post by deepee99 on Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:57 am

    bluemeanies wrote:Just received this little baby today..$20.78 including shipping...and it works
    Tube cleaning detail


    Blue,
    Have you got a direct URL to where you bought this thing? I couldn't get there from your posting. Seems like I must have one.

    bluemeanies

    Posts : 119
    Join date : 2015-02-09
    Age : 66
    Location : Folsom Pa.

    Re: cleaning the pins on your tubes

    Post by bluemeanies on Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:52 am

    deepee99 wrote:
    bluemeanies wrote:Just received this little baby today..$20.78 including shipping...and it works
    Tube cleaning detail


    Blue,
    Have you got a direct URL to where you bought this thing? I couldn't get there from your posting. Seems like I must have one.


    Deep..I went to e-bay..just plug in "WEN DREMEL"..there are nicer ones on there than I purchased for close to the same price..$24-$28.00 with a case.
    I used the WEN as soon as I opened it. I had purchased some old stock driver tubes from Kently.

    deepee99

    Posts : 1260
    Join date : 2012-05-23
    Location : Wallace, Idaho

    Re: cleaning the pins on your tubes

    Post by deepee99 on Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:09 pm

    bluemeanies wrote:
    deepee99 wrote:
    bluemeanies wrote:Just received this little baby today..$20.78 including shipping...and it works
    Tube cleaning detail


    Blue,
    Have you got a direct URL to where you bought this thing? I couldn't get there from your posting. Seems like I must have one.


    Deep..I went to e-bay..just plug in "WEN DREMEL"..there are nicer ones on there than I purchased for close to the same price..$24-$28.00 with a case.
    I used the WEN as soon as I opened it. I had purchased some old stock driver tubes from Kently.
    Blue, hope I just ordered the same thing from Amazon. BTW, never buy anything from Kently. It's likely crud I sold to him cheers

    Kentley

    Posts : 300
    Join date : 2015-03-06
    Age : 64
    Location : Worcester, MA

    Re: cleaning the pins on your tubes

    Post by Kentley on Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:39 pm

    "Blue, hope I just ordered the same thing from Amazon. BTW, never buy anything from Kently. It's likely crud I sold to him cheers"

    O.K. Deepeedy Doo - what goes around generally comes back to clog your toilet, eventually. tongue

    deepee99

    Posts : 1260
    Join date : 2012-05-23
    Location : Wallace, Idaho

    Re: cleaning the pins on your tubes

    Post by deepee99 on Sun May 01, 2016 12:38 pm

    Kentley wrote:"Blue, hope I just ordered the same thing from Amazon. BTW, never buy anything from Kently. It's likely crud I sold to him cheers"

    O.K. Deepeedy Doo - what goes around generally comes back to clog your toilet, eventually. tongue

    Oh Kentley, don't be so sensitive. I only sell you my best worthless stuff. It's called laying off risk.

    bluemeanies

    Posts : 119
    Join date : 2015-02-09
    Age : 66
    Location : Folsom Pa.

    Re: cleaning the pins on your tubes

    Post by bluemeanies on Sun May 01, 2016 8:19 pm

    It's that face that Kently has which gives the appearance of trustworthiness.
    Besides his humor is worth the price of a tube....

    Kentley

    Posts : 300
    Join date : 2015-03-06
    Age : 64
    Location : Worcester, MA

    Re: cleaning the pins on your tubes

    Post by Kentley on Sun May 01, 2016 9:43 pm

    Yeah, look at that face. Trust me! Buy a used tube from me. Forget that Isuzu guy....I'm your go-to moron.



    Last edited by Kentley on Mon May 02, 2016 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

    Tube Nube

    Posts : 603
    Join date : 2008-12-06
    Age : 53
    Location : Calgary, AB

    Re: cleaning the pins on your tubes

    Post by Tube Nube on Sun May 01, 2016 11:30 pm

    You guys crack me up! Might I suggesttaking out a membership on the Crossover network? Our British friends are sure to welcome and embrace your humour.

    And don't worry, they don't even hold a grudge about the Boston tea vandalism incident, and subsequent rebellion, as I think they call it.

    deepee99

    Posts : 1260
    Join date : 2012-05-23
    Location : Wallace, Idaho

    Re: cleaning the pins on your tubes

    Post by deepee99 on Mon May 02, 2016 12:56 am

    Tube Nube wrote:You guys crack me up! Might I suggesttaking out a membership on the Crossover network? Our British friends are sure to welcome and embrace your humour.

    And don't worry, they don't even hold a grudge about the Boston tea vandalism incident, and subsequent rebellion, as I think they call it.

    I'm afraid we've already crossed over -- to the dark side. The upside is watching the water level behind Grand Coulee Dam fall every time I turn on the stereo. Transformers in Wenatchee explode and our own little neighbourhood goes dark for a moment or two.

    bluemeanies

    Posts : 119
    Join date : 2015-02-09
    Age : 66
    Location : Folsom Pa.

    Re: cleaning the pins on your tubes

    Post by bluemeanies on Mon May 02, 2016 8:11 am

    Question for the resident experts...
    I am running my m125's with two Sovtek KT88's and recently change my driver tube in the voltage/amp position with an RCA 12BH7A...right Kently?
    I also changed my rectifier from the WEBER WZ68 SS to the Genalex GZ34...BTW never had a problem with the Weber.
    The two output tubes do a fine job in the handling of my B&W 803 diamonds but I believe the Genalex would not be sufficient enough if I wanted to go with 4output tubes.
    Here is guestion...is there a glass rectifier tube that could handle 4output tubes in the m125's?
    I think I am asking a rhetorical question but wanted to post this question just the same.
    Also is the Mullard GZ34 the one I should be looking at....?
    If the Mullard is the ticket...it's at a heavy cost...$150.00per..that's $300.00 for a pair and I like to have a spare so I would be looking at $450.00...I can't afford to go in that direction.
    This is not something I am doing in the immediate future b/c of the cost factor.
    The power issue is not a factor, but I am curious as to what change in sound 4output tubes would have on my system and ridiculious as it might sound those additional tubes glowing in a low level lit room....well what can I say.

    Thanks anyone..

    deepee99

    Posts : 1260
    Join date : 2012-05-23
    Location : Wallace, Idaho

    Re: cleaning the pins on your tubes

    Post by deepee99 on Mon May 02, 2016 11:11 am

    Blue,
    If you can get your hands on a pair of Mullard GZ-33s they will handle even 4 KT-120s with no problems, they're tall and cool-looking and will last forever, but they are scarce and spendy, and then keep the Webers for backup.
    Another option would be to have MontanaWay do a mod on your M-125s which runs two GZ-34 type rectifiers in parallel on each amp. Dunno if he's still doing that mod but it sure works well in mine. The Genalex GZ-34s in tandem are just loafing, even with four big output tubes.
    There are also other solid-state rectifying options that don't use the Webers -- Holger and Don Sachs swear by solid-state rectification -- but I've not been persuaded enough and don't have the funds, either.
    The Webers get a bad rap, I think unfairly, when used in the M-125s. Albeit they're solid state, they're a consumable like any other tube and sit right amongst the iron and the back output tubes so tend to get cooked, but the price is right. TMadden on this forum has made some improvements to the Webers allowing them to run cooler, and replaces the thyristor with a beefier one. You might talk to him. I've got a couple he modded and you can try if you'll send 'em back.
    I often run just a pair of KT-88s (Gold Lions) in the front holes during the summer. But yeah, four output tubes looks twice as cool as two tubes. Whether doubling-up on the power tubes is much help to high-efficiency speakers, I don't know. I needed all four to run my old Maggies and Vandersteens, but the Tylers at 90 dB/watt do fine with just a pair.


    Tubes4ever

    Posts : 59
    Join date : 2015-07-14
    Location : Star, Idaho

    Re: cleaning the pins on your tubes

    Post by Tubes4ever on Mon May 02, 2016 12:50 pm

    Another option is to simply use a 5V3A tube. It can easily handle the current. I discovered that a GZ37 has about the same voltage drop in my ST70 as a 5U4GB. The 5V3A will have a slightly lower voltage drop than the 5U4 at the normal idle currents as it is rated at greater than 350mA. Heater current is 3A.

    The only drawback is that it doesn't give you the B+ delay. If you have the delay relay then you are good. They are fairly cheap on Ebay.

    GreggW

    Posts : 55
    Join date : 2015-07-15

    5V3A

    Post by GreggW on Mon May 02, 2016 8:28 pm

    Ive got a few more hundred hours on the same 5V3A in my ST120. All is well. No bias adjustments since December. Perhaps someone knows when the direct heated cathode starts conducting....

    pedrocols

    Posts : 62
    Join date : 2014-11-24
    Location : Western MA

    Re: cleaning the pins on your tubes

    Post by pedrocols on Mon May 02, 2016 11:42 pm

    deepee99 wrote:Blue,
    If you can get your hands on a pair of Mullard GZ-33s they will handle even 4 KT-120s with no problems, they're tall and cool-looking and will last forever, but they are scarce and spendy, and then keep the Webers for backup.
    Another option would be to have MontanaWay do a mod on your M-125s which runs two GZ-34 type rectifiers in parallel on each amp. Dunno if he's still doing that mod but it sure works well in mine. The Genalex GZ-34s in tandem are just loafing, even with four big output tubes.
    There are also other solid-state rectifying options that don't use the Webers -- Holger and Don Sachs swear by solid-state rectification -- but I've not been persuaded enough and don't have the funds, either.
    The Webers get a bad rap, I think unfairly, when used in the M-125s. Albeit they're solid state, they're a consumable like any other tube and sit right amongst the iron and the back output tubes so tend to get cooked, but the price is right. TMadden on this forum has made some improvements to the Webers allowing them to run cooler, and replaces the thyristor with a beefier one. You might talk to him. I've got a couple he modded and you can try if you'll send 'em back.
    I often run just a pair of KT-88s (Gold Lions) in the front holes during the summer. But yeah, four output tubes looks twice as cool as two tubes. Whether doubling-up on the power tubes is much help to high-efficiency speakers, I don't know. I needed all four to run my old Maggies and Vandersteens, but the Tylers at 90 dB/watt do fine with just a pair.

    Glad I snatched a pair of GZ33.....

    bluemeanies

    Posts : 119
    Join date : 2015-02-09
    Age : 66
    Location : Folsom Pa.

    Re: cleaning the pins on your tubes

    Post by bluemeanies on Tue May 03, 2016 7:58 am

    deepee99 wrote:Blue,
    If you can get your hands on a pair of Mullard GZ-33s they will handle even 4 KT-120s with no problems, they're tall and cool-looking and will last forever, but they are scarce and spendy, and then keep the Webers for backup.
    Another option would be to have MontanaWay do a mod on your M-125s which runs two GZ-34 type rectifiers in parallel on each amp. Dunno if he's still doing that mod but it sure works well in mine. The Genalex GZ-34s in tandem are just loafing, even with four big output tubes.
    There are also other solid-state rectifying options that don't use the Webers -- Holger and Don Sachs swear by solid-state rectification -- but I've not been persuaded enough and don't have the funds, either.
    The Webers get a bad rap, I think unfairly, when used in the M-125s. Albeit they're solid state, they're a consumable like any other tube and sit right amongst the iron and the back output tubes so tend to get cooked, but the price is right. TMadden on this forum has made some improvements to the Webers allowing them to run cooler, and replaces the thyristor with a beefier one. You might talk to him. I've got a couple he modded and you can try if you'll send 'em back.
    I often run just a pair of KT-88s (Gold Lions) in the front holes during the summer. But yeah, four output tubes looks twice as cool as two tubes. Whether doubling-up on the power tubes is much help to high-efficiency speakers, I don't know. I needed all four to run my old Maggies and Vandersteens, but the Tylers at 90 dB/watt do fine with just a pair.



    Thanks deepee for the input and offer. Two KT88's work well with the 803diamonds @90db. The 88's don't break a sweat. I just put in a bid on e-bay for two new Mullards GZ33's. Four days left in the bid. I am not going crazy on these tubes. They are listed from GB. The bid thus far is $60.00+shipping and we already are at $80.00+. I know they are expensive at $150.00 each from what I have seen so I am not complaining but at this time I not going near that high a price. At least not at this time.

    deepee99

    Posts : 1260
    Join date : 2012-05-23
    Location : Wallace, Idaho

    Re: cleaning the pins on your tubes

    Post by deepee99 on Tue May 03, 2016 8:28 am

    Yeah, the GZ-33 Mullards are the best of the best. They just loaf in a fully stuffed M-125, though the heater current pull is a bit near the high edge of the envelope of the transformer's tap.
    These guys:
    http://www.nosvacuumtubes.net/product/mullard-gz33/
    appear to have them in stock at $150 per tube. You won't need a spare.
    Same outfit also carries the old Bendix rectifiers - the Bendix 5852 is a drop-in replacement for the 6X5 rectifier used in the SP-14. Another tube that will out-live your grand kids.
    A caveat: I've not done business with them so can't speak to their integrity, and the Bendix is a bit over-priced at $85. I think Tube Despot carries them for $75.

    Tubes4ever

    Posts : 59
    Join date : 2015-07-14
    Location : Star, Idaho

    Re: cleaning the pins on your tubes

    Post by Tubes4ever on Tue May 03, 2016 5:06 pm

    GreggW wrote:Ive got a few more hundred hours on the same 5V3A in my ST120. All is well. No bias adjustments since December. Perhaps someone knows when the direct heated cathode starts conducting....

    Good to hear Gregg! The cathode starts conducting as soon as it starts glowing...which is fairly quickly.



    bluemeanies

    Posts : 119
    Join date : 2015-02-09
    Age : 66
    Location : Folsom Pa.

    Re: cleaning the pins on your tubes

    Post by bluemeanies on Thu May 19, 2016 7:13 am

    Hi guys...still waiting for the Mullards!
    They are coming from the UK. After I won the bid and PAID I was told the guy was going on holiday and would not be able to ship until the 16th...Brits...
    Ya gotta love 'em.
    So I am trying to be patient.
    Maybe it's better this way since this week I am overloaded with family commitments.
    Next week will be a different story.

    Sponsored content

    Re: cleaning the pins on your tubes

    Post by Sponsored content Today at 5:59 am


      Current date/time is Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:59 am