The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+12
cci1492
jfine
pedrocols
GreggW
Tubes4ever
Tube Nube
Kentley
deepee99
bluemeanies
sKiZo
wgallupe
rustybutt
16 posters

cleaning the pins on your tubes

CletusB
    CletusB

cleaning the pins on your tubes - Page 3 Empty Re: cleaning the pins on your tubes

Post by CletusB Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:46 am

Been using it a long time ....never an issue.
    cci1492
    cci1492

cleaning the pins on your tubes - Page 3 Empty Re: cleaning the pins on your tubes

Post by cci1492 Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:52 am

Does anyone here have an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner? That would work nice too.
    Roy
    Roy

Post by Roy Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:53 am

doubt the filaments or even the plate coating would appreciate that though cci ?
    CletusB
    CletusB

Post by CletusB Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:00 am

cci1492 wrote:Does anyone here have an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner? That would work nice too.

As a trainee tech, I did that back in the 70's with some tubes for a Beckman Impedance Bridge .....The tubes were not at all impressed, nor was our Chief Engineer. Embarassed
    Roy
    Roy

Post by Roy Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:22 pm

cleaning the pins on your tubes - Page 3 Wp_20111
    cleaning the pins on your tubes - Page 3 Wp_20114
    cleaning the pins on your tubes - Page 3 Wp_20112
    cleaning the pins on your tubes - Page 3 Wp_20113
    This was a stainless 18/10 spoon though with no oxides that the deoxit would dissolve - still  residue wise it was next to nothing - that little pink stain on the qtip was all that was picked up off the spoon.
    CletusB
    CletusB

Post by CletusB Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:26 pm

That spoon over the candle flame had me a little concerned for a bit there! LOL!
    Kentley
    Kentley

Post by Kentley Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:28 pm

Obviously, Roy, you were born with a silver spoon in your DeOxit.
    {I couldn't help myself. Laughing }
    cci1492
    cci1492

Post by cci1492 Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:37 pm

Those pics remind me of the Stones song Dead Flowers: "I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon. And another girl to take my pain away. Take me down little Susie, take me down"
    Roy
    Roy

Post by Roy Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:43 pm

cci1492
    cci1492

Post by cci1492 Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:48 pm

Another classic heroin song!
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:20 pm

286 deg C is the boiling point of light Oleic Acid at sea level (or whatever that trade-secret ingredient might be).
    829 deg C is the temperature of a paraffin-based candle flame.
    This method is not 'fractional distillation' - which would be necessary to separate two mutually soluble VOCs from each other. Otherwise, the lighter fractions can 'pull off' heavier molecules as they boil.
    Starting from a 5% initial concentration, the magic moment in any case would be very short indeed.

Guys and gals - using DeOxit D5 in this application - TUBE SOCKET - is, to be as gentle as possible, contraindicated. But, do as you see fit.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:04 pm

Peter W. wrote:286 deg C is the boiling point of light Oleic Acid at sea level (or whatever that trade-secret ingredient might be).
    829 deg C is the temperature of a paraffin-based candle flame.
    This method is not 'fractional distillation' - which would be necessary to separate two mutually soluble VOCs from each other. Otherwise, the lighter fractions can 'pull off' heavier molecules as they boil.
    Starting from a 5% initial concentration, the magic moment in any case would be very short indeed.

Guys and gals - using DeOxit D5 in this application - TUBE SOCKET - is, to be as gentle as possible, contraindicated. But, do as you see fit.
    What's wrong with a little seriously de-natured alcohol (not the grocery-store grade) and a pipe cleaner?
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:12 pm

[/quote]
    What's wrong with a little seriously de-natured alcohol (not the grocery-store grade) and a pipe cleaner?
    [/quote]

Not one little thing. I keep a set of miniature spiral brushes for the purpose - and use only 100% volatile solvents. Easier for small-pin tubes.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:19 pm

[/quote]

Not one little thing. I keep a set of miniature spiral brushes for the purpose - and use only 100% volatile solvents. Easier for small-pin tubes. [/quote]
    Great minds think alike. Very Happy
    A caution, 80% (grocery store) de-natured alcohol has oils added to it. Not A Good Thing for tube pins or tape-heads. Metal to metal, nothing in between.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:42 am