The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+4
peterh
Kentley
GP49
Bob Latino
8 posters

Interesting > The Gramovox vertical turntable

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Interesting > The Gramovox vertical turntable Empty Interesting > The Gramovox vertical turntable

Post by Bob Latino Sat May 28, 2016 5:59 pm

Interesting > The Gramovox vertical turntable Gramovox_turntable_zps0cepm8np

This is a new concept in turntables if I ever saw one .. The Gramovox vertical turntable. Comes with a built in amp and two speakers. has line level outputs in the rear if you want to run it directly into an amp. Headphone jack also. Read the details at the link below and be sure to check out the video about 2/3rds the way down the web page. I do not think that these are actually available now but they do have a $399 "pre-order" price elsewhere on the web site.

Gramovox vertical turntable

Bob

Interesting > The Gramovox vertical turntable Empty Re: Interesting > The Gramovox vertical turntable

Post by Guest Sat May 28, 2016 6:41 pm

You would have to think that the LP would attract less dust in a vertical position. Smile

Interesting > The Gramovox vertical turntable Empty Re: Interesting > The Gramovox vertical turntable

Post by Guest Sat May 28, 2016 6:58 pm

I've seen this before....and I still have the same question....WHY??
    GP49

Post by GP49 Sat May 28, 2016 7:17 pm

MontanaWay wrote:I've seen this before....and I still have the same question....WHY??

Because for the target audience, image...appearance, looking cool...is all-important. It's COOL to play vinyl records now, and they value COOLNESS above all else. So not only do they have to play vinyl records (that's OK, I do, too), they have to LOOK COOL while they are doing it.

They'll probably not even be LISTENING all that intently. Just looking COOL. Sizzle, not steak.

The concept is sound, though. Dynamically balanced tonearm, first appeared in the late 1950s.

Post by Guest Sat May 28, 2016 7:34 pm

GP49 wrote:
    MontanaWay wrote:I've seen this before....and I still have the same question....WHY??

Because for the target audience, image...appearance, looking cool...is all-important.  It's COOL to play vinyl records now, and they value COOLNESS above all else.  So not only do they have to play vinyl records (that's OK, I do, too), they have to LOOK COOL while they are doing it.

They'll probably not even be LISTENING all that intently.  Just looking COOL.  Sizzle, not steak.

The concept is sound, though.  Dynamically balanced tonearm, first appeared in the late 1950s.

meh!...just another gadget, no doubt though, it will probably sell well because its different.
    Kentley
    Kentley

Post by Kentley Sun May 29, 2016 10:50 am

One imagines that even the slightest warpage would wreak havoc. "Why bother?"
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Sun May 29, 2016 11:39 am

Kentley wrote:One imagines that even the slightest warpage would wreak havoc. "Why bother?"

I bother !
    It can be done, therefor it should be done!

I once rebuild a dual 1019 to play records standing on it's front.
    One prerec is that the tonearm is balanced in all axes, and the final "downward" pressure ( against the record) is done with feather power, so is anti-skating.

I needed a slight mod of the platter bearing, the motor was ok: when runninhg it was
    held in "center". Then i used a tandberg taperecorder reelholder ( tandbergs could also
    be played vertically, then you only need to use rubber "holders" to secure the reels.

Was it better ? Not really, one had greater risk of dropping the record when changing.
    But id sure raised some eyebrows !

sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Sun May 29, 2016 2:21 pm

Same thing, only different.

Interesting > The Gramovox vertical turntable Vertical_turntable_01

The old Mitsu vertical tables did all the same tricks, albeit with more of a standard look ... for a linear tracker anyway. Most do develop issues with the arm, but can be restored with a bit of TLC and head scratching. Built like tanks otherwise.

PS ... a vertical table actually makes sense. Required tracking force is relatively low as the stylus isn't fighting gravity, and you end up with much faster response and more delicate nuances - IF you use a cartridge that won't get confused with the different dynamics involved.

I'll leave the pros and cons of a linear tracker out of it, as that's one of THOSE debates. In this case though, I'd think a true linear arm would be more logical.
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Sun May 29, 2016 3:01 pm

The importent thing with all tonearms are that they are statically balanced, that is when no
    downforce is applied and antiskating is zero, then the arm stays in whatever position it is left in.

When the arm is balanced the it's also neutral against vibrations and any non-horisontal player.
    An arm of this type will have spring(s) to create downforce and antiskating ( or magnet as done by some ortofons)

There is other technologies that is not balanced but still works well. There is several ways to build a good player.
    GP49

Post by GP49 Sun May 29, 2016 7:31 pm

I worked on a lot of those Mitsubishis (we were a Mitsu dealer). The belts would turn to goo and the tonearm servo and end-of-side sensor depended on grain-of-wheat light bulbs and optical sensors...of course the light bulbs would burn out. Pretty simple work, other than cleaning the goo, and I'd use a better belt and replace ALL THE LIGHT BULBS AT ONCE. They worked quite well.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Mon May 30, 2016 12:44 am

Funny you should mention that ... the belts on my DP-EC10 turned to goo, and the lights burned out on the sensor mechanism ... Suspect

Also had a fun time getting everything to time out properly with the new bulbs. Different color temp and apparently threw the light sensors off. All's well that ends well though, right?

Couple other problems ... a mounting screw for the composite base cracked out - nothing a bit of PlastiFix couldn't cure. Also, the power switch built into the arm lock went south - couldn't find an exact replacement, so I added a switch to the side of the cabinet.

Interesting > The Gramovox vertical turntable Mitsubishi-switch

Other than that, excellent table and a strong performer. Bought it new back in 1980, and ready to go another 35 years now!
    j beede
    j beede

Post by j beede Mon May 30, 2016 9:29 am

i wonder if they offer a right-handed model... I would likely ruin a record/cantilever or two trying to cue using my left hand! As I recall juke boxes have been playing 45RPM records vertically since forever. Remember that the ubiquitous Rega RB300 arm applies VTF via spring.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Mon May 30, 2016 3:50 pm

One reason I can think of is it might have a much smaller footprint if you've got a cramped stereo hutch.
    Dogstar

Post by Dogstar Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:35 am

Didn't Dual claim you could mount their turntable to the ceiling upside down and it would easily track and play LP's? I've never actually seen one like that but I seem to remember the salesman making those claims.
    GP49

Post by GP49 Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:53 pm

That was a common claim among major manufacturers in the day of high-quality record changers with dynamically-balanced arms...where tracking force was applied by a downward (in normal use) pulling spring, with the rest of the arm counterweight-balanced.  BSR, Garrard and Dual made the claim, and featured it in advertising and in movie filmstrips at hi-fi shows.  Strangely, I do not remember it in Miracord advertising, though I may have blinked.

Most single-play, manual tonearms could not do it, as they typically applied tracking weight by a gram or two of IMbalance.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:02 am