The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

Anyone figured out how to match Dynaco's textured paint?

j beede

Anyone figured out how to match Dynaco's textured paint?

Post by j beede on Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:12 am

My FM-3 chassis cover has the typical "spattered" brown paint that Dynaco favored. Audio Research and GAS used a similar texture. Anyone have a recipe for reproducing that texture?

Rustoleum sells a product that is supposed to do it. The texture in the photo on the can looks perfect. I tried it and produced texture like 60 grit sandpaper. Not what I was after.

pmarcin

Re: Anyone figured out how to match Dynaco's textured paint?

Post by pmarcin on Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:46 am

Rustoleum(r) 'Hammertone' is the answer. Now, what was the question. It is fast drying, too.

j beede

Post by j beede on Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:55 pm

Hammertone may be a fine way to finish a chassis cover--but that will not match the factory finish that Dynaco used on the FM-3, FM-5, AF-6, PAS 2/3/3X, etc.

sKiZo

Post by sKiZo on Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:39 pm

Just have to experiment with what's available and hope for the best. I wouldn't expect to be able to patch an older paint job successfully - best to start over.

Here's an example ... Siltronix had a very deep pebble finish on their radio gear. I ended up going with a "stone" paint, then knocking that down with a sanding block to get rid of the high ridges, then a coat of "gravel guard" paint normally used on the bottom of car doors ... all in all, good enough to fool some of the hardcore fans of the rigs ...

* I also had to make my own swirled knob inserts, but that's another story. The radio was a real basket case when I got it.

deepee99

Post by deepee99 on Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:19 pm

sKiZo, I always figured you to be a ham.

Post by Guest on Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:35 pm

Plasti Dip. Works really well, stays on really well, but can be easily removed if you no longer like it.

GP49

Post by GP49 on Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:42 pm

I got some close results with two coats of brown paint...one normal, smooth coat and a second coat sprayed from too far away so it was like overspray. It wasn't exact but it was better than what I started with.

DynakitParts
    Admin

Dynaco paint finish

Post by DynakitParts on Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:41 pm

Hi,
       We use a polyurethane paint by the name 'Polane" by Sherwin Williams for all of our Dynakit covers. This would be their Texture finish although the actual texture can be either random or uniform depending on how this is applied. We selected the random texture finish which best replicates the original Dynaco finish. This is a (2) part mix of both paint & hardener and the ratio will determine the level of gloss and drying time. One gallon of Paint & one quart of hardener will cost upwards of $150. Since this is not a stock color, there is a one time color match fee. We tried powder coating which can be less costly but the finish was not quite as nice as the sprayed finish.  

GP49 suggestion seems to be good way of obtaining the random speck finish...but getting a close color match may be a problem.

Kevin @ Dynakit

Mandopicker

Post by Mandopicker on Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:48 pm

Maybe a dumb question, but does painting a cage seriously diminish the value of an older Dynaco? From my experience with vintage guitars and guitar amps, there are generally two sides of the fence when it comes to restoration - players and museum curators (sorry...maybe a bit harsh as likely we're a combination of both.)

When it comes to HIFI, I just feel like the presentation of the Dynaco ST-70 deserves more than the potentially, (and likely) slightly rusted, yet still brown cage.

When it comes to vintage stuff, there is also a mind set that "stuff" is only original once (not talking the bits that really need to change) and I kinda like the idea, too.

That said, my wife ain't gonna let me put that dusty, rusty, great sounding power amp in the living room...thus the question and dilemma.  

Thanks in advance and love the forum.

DG

GP49

Post by GP49 on Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:28 pm

Wives are overly concerned with cabinets and such. You need a new one. What a Face

Peter W.

Post by Peter W. on Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:13 am

Mandopicker wrote:Maybe a dumb question, but does painting a cage seriously diminish the value of an older Dynaco? From my experience with vintage guitars and guitar amps, there are generally two sides of the fence when it comes to restoration - players and museum curators (sorry...maybe a bit harsh as likely we're a combination of both.)

When it comes to HIFI, I just feel like the presentation of the Dynaco ST-70 deserves more than the potentially, (and likely) slightly rusted, yet still brown cage.

When it comes to vintage stuff, there is also a mind set that "stuff" is only original once (not talking the bits that really need to change) and I kinda like the idea, too.

That said, my wife ain't gonna let me put that dusty, rusty, great sounding power amp in the living room...thus the question and dilemma.  

Thanks in advance and love the forum.

DG

Not hardly a dumb question. In any case, and writing only for myself, I keep items that work. And appearance is of-a-piece with working. We are not discussing a renaissance chair with tatters and tears where the value is in how 'original' it is. We are discussing tube and solid-state gear from the 1960s on up. As with a vintage automobile, there are points for operation, and points for appearance.

I am perfectly happy with black hammertone paint. I will first sand and wire-brush a cage, then put it through the dishwasher (best degreaser there is). Then a light buff to get rid of any sand and brush marks, then a very light coat of flat black primer, then the hammertone black - but all this only if needed. There is no reason at all that I cannot paint my covers the way I want - again as with a classic car. In the words of James Bond, as long as the collars and cuffs match, color is not at issue.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 9:07 pm

Current date/time is Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:07 pm