The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products


    Swedish VTA ST-70

    Share

    warptech

    Posts : 11
    Join date : 2016-06-15

    Swedish VTA ST-70

    Post by warptech on Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:54 pm

    My first post here!

    As the title says i´m from Sweden and a diy newbie. Searching for a tube project i found this forum and site and couldn´t be happier after recommendations from BoB Latino so i would like to share a few pics of my newborn VTA ST-70 if any is interested? From the beginning my intentions was to build my own chassis so i´m not using the stock chassis.
    A wooden base to start with!


    10-E-C

    Posts : 87
    Join date : 2014-02-12
    Age : 63
    Location : upper east tn

    Re: Swedish VTA ST-70

    Post by 10-E-C on Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:57 pm

    Looks like you are off to a great start, and welcome to one of the finest forums around.

    TM

    warptech

    Posts : 11
    Join date : 2016-06-15

    Re: Swedish VTA ST-70

    Post by warptech on Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:08 pm

    Thank´s TM!

    Inspired by other members here i designed my own top-plate from an Italian workshop! A brushed surface with som specials.


    warptech

    Posts : 11
    Join date : 2016-06-15

    Re: Swedish VTA ST-70

    Post by warptech on Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:35 pm

    After sanding, painting, sanding etc, etc it was ok. Thinking more than once about the finish. Ended up in shiny black finish.
    I choose after ok from Bob to put his name on the alu-plate.




    This is how the back-plate looks like


    warptech

    Posts : 11
    Join date : 2016-06-15

    Re: Swedish VTA ST-70

    Post by warptech on Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:00 am

    More painting!






    warptech

    Posts : 11
    Join date : 2016-06-15

    Re: Swedish VTA ST-70

    Post by warptech on Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:17 am

    A few days later!






    warptech

    Posts : 11
    Join date : 2016-06-15

    Re: Swedish VTA ST-70

    Post by warptech on Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:53 pm

    Everythings ok at the start up procedure! The last thing was to listen to it!
    This was a very fun project and thank´s to Bob for an excellent amp kit! Sounds absolutely fantastic! Very Happy  










    Dave_in_Va

    Posts : 143
    Join date : 2013-04-02

    Re: Swedish VTA ST-70

    Post by Dave_in_Va on Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:02 pm

    Wow....that's one of the nicest looking VTA amps I've seen here!
    Congrats.

    warptech

    Posts : 11
    Join date : 2016-06-15

    Re: Swedish VTA ST-70

    Post by warptech on Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:06 pm

    Thank you so much for the kind words!

    Bob Latino
    Admin

    Posts : 2413
    Join date : 2008-11-26
    Location : Massachusetts

    Re: Swedish VTA ST-70

    Post by Bob Latino on Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:23 pm

    Patrik,

    Really nice work on your custom version of the VTA ST-70. You can do a lot with these amps ... Custom chassis .. Slightly different layout etc.

    Bob

    Kentley

    Posts : 335
    Join date : 2015-03-06
    Age : 64
    Location : Worcester, MA

    Re: Swedish VTA ST-70

    Post by Kentley on Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:51 pm

    In a word -- STUNNING.
    There's just enough room for Mr. Latino to put his signature under his name. Nice touch, which I'm sure will raise a few eyebrows.

    warptech

    Posts : 11
    Join date : 2016-06-15

    Re: Swedish VTA ST-70

    Post by warptech on Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:41 pm

    Thank´s again!

    I´m so impressed about this amp! Have only 20h on the amp and the sound?, absolutly terrific. The Pio´s and the tubes need a few more hours i´ll guess to deliver it´s best? Can it get better than this?? Very Happy

    maritan

    Posts : 3
    Join date : 2016-06-23

    Re: Swedish VTA ST-70

    Post by maritan on Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:21 am

    That's a really nice build. I just bought a M125 kit without the stock chassis and am going to design my own enclosure.

    I really like the clean and simple chassis. Very elegant in my opinion.

    warptech

    Posts : 11
    Join date : 2016-06-15

    Re: Swedish VTA ST-70

    Post by warptech on Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:49 pm

    maritan wrote:That's a really nice build. I just bought a M125 kit without the stock chassis and am going to design my own enclosure.

    I really like the clean and simple chassis. Very elegant in my opinion.

    Thank´s Maritan!

    M125, very interesting. Please share pictures when ready.

    willieher

    Posts : 8
    Join date : 2009-04-19
    Age : 63
    Location : Ohio

    !!!!!

    Post by willieher on Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:34 pm

    I really like the look of this build, every thing is clean and very well laid out, backside looks just as good.
    Looks like expensive cabling.. Good job.

    sKiZo

    Posts : 1310
    Join date : 2013-04-01
    Location : Michigan USA

    Re: Swedish VTA ST-70

    Post by sKiZo on Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:44 pm

    Very tidy! Excellent craftsmanship!

    Maybe post up a link to your machine shop if they have an online presence. Looks like they really know what they're doing. We've got Front Panel Express here in the states, but not sure if they do work across the big water. In any case, CNC is certainly the way to go, adding a whole other level of professionalism.

    Couple questions. Your rectifier? Unusual to see one with a nipple on top ... either that or I haven't been paying close enough attention.

    Also, the industrial looking clamps on the can cap are nice ... source?

    PS ... Everything but the PIOs should be fairly well broken in by now with minor changes as they burn in more. The PIOs can take up to 600 hours to break in completely, but sweeten up considerably at around 100 in my experience. Stock up on popcorn - you've got a whole lotta listening ahead!

    BNR_1

    Posts : 78
    Join date : 2013-06-11

    Re: Swedish VTA ST-70

    Post by BNR_1 on Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:31 pm

    Very beautiful work and craftsmanship. I do have a question. Is it preferable to have a ground point for each of the tubes for the biasing? I have seen one or two (one per side), but not often to see four.

    Thank you

    warptech

    Posts : 11
    Join date : 2016-06-15

    Re: Swedish VTA ST-70

    Post by warptech on Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:52 am

    sKiZo wrote:Very tidy! Excellent craftsmanship!

    Maybe post up a link to your machine shop if they have an online presence. Looks like they really know what they're doing. We've got Front Panel Express here in the states, but not sure if they do work across the big water. In any case, CNC is certainly the way to go, adding a whole other level of professionalism.

    Couple questions. Your rectifier? Unusual to see one with a nipple on top ... either that or I haven't been paying close enough attention.

    Also, the industrial looking clamps on the can cap are nice ... source?

    PS ... Everything but the PIOs should be fairly well broken in by now with minor changes as they burn in more. The PIOs can take up to 600 hours to break in completely, but sweeten up considerably at around 100 in my experience. Stock up on popcorn - you've got a whole lotta listening ahead!


    Thank´s!

    We have front panel express in Germany that serves Europe but i decide to buy from www.modushop.biz or hifi2000 that sell the nice chassis many use.
    The recifier is the original from Bob, don´t know anything about it unfortunatellty, have it as spare right know using a JJ instead.
    The clamps isn´t that expensive that they might look like, only metal banding with holes that i put shrink tubing on.

    warptech

    Posts : 11
    Join date : 2016-06-15

    Re: Swedish VTA ST-70

    Post by warptech on Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:59 am

    BNR_1 wrote:Very beautiful work and craftsmanship.  I do have a question.  Is it preferable to have a ground point for each of the tubes for the biasing?  I have seen one or two (one per side), but not often to see four.

    Thank you


    Thank´s!

    I´ll guess you don´t need a special groundpoint att all if i´m right? I can use ground from the chassis anywhere. However, i´m perhaps little fussy and want it symmetrically Smile

    Sponsored content

    Re: Swedish VTA ST-70

    Post by Sponsored content Today at 12:02 pm


      Current date/time is Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:02 pm