The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

Anybody tried Selah Audio speakers?

vtshopdog

Anybody tried Selah Audio speakers?

Post by vtshopdog on Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:50 pm

On a mission to do some wood nerd stuff and planning to get my tools out later this summer to build new speaks, anyone here have experience pairing their amp with Selah Audio speakers and kits?  They seem to have a small, loyal fanboy following.

http://www.selahaudio.com/lineup/

Had never noticed their stuff before last week. Their prebuilts are mostly more than I want to go, but he offers kits with nice drivers that are actually pretty reasonable when compared with Madi-Zaph-Troels at same level.

Thanks

daveshel

Re: Anybody tried Selah Audio speakers?

Post by daveshel on Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:17 pm

Timely thread. I'd like to try biamping but my speakers aren't set up for it. I remember some kit speaker threads around here or somewhere, but couldn't find any when I went back to look.

Dogstar

Post by Dogstar on Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:26 am

They look like nice speakers but they are not very efficient. Tube amps prefer speakers that are more efficient. Which speaker model did you have in mind?

bluemeanies

Post by bluemeanies on Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:31 am

Like the looks of there monitors...TEMPESTA!
    Would like to give a listen...I love three way monitors.

vtshopdog

Post by vtshopdog on Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:14 pm

Yes, Tempesta looks like good possibility and I am intrigued with learning how to build a curved cabinet.  Apparently his efficiency ratings are more conservative than most commercial products, but I built M125's with idea that they should power just about any speaker out there.       Rick at Selah has been quick with reply to my emails and he also seems to do lots of customized iterations of his designs

In meantime I'm back in Troels website and now considering his 3 way classic lineup (this one has super spendy AT drivers but similar price point to the Tempesta kit):
    http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/AT-3WC.htm#Using_ScanSpeak_D3004/604010_Be-dome
    Does not hurt that Euro is about 1.1x USD right now.

So basically I'm all over the map, but that's part of the fun.  Started out thinking floor standers but now 3 way monitor seems like much better WAF, plus half the mass and surface area for lifting and finishing during construction.  

Like all DIY, at some point one throws the money down then spends dozens of hours building with no chance to audition.  Pay ahead of time and hope it sounds great??  (or perhaps be so emotionally invested that one imagines it sounds great???)

Bluemeanies- is your upside down anti gravity M125 avatar gone now?  I always liked the idea of a 45 lb floating tube amp.....

bluemeanies

Post by bluemeanies on Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:48 pm

Floating m125 gone..if I had to choose I would pick the http://www.selahaudio.com/lineup/
    but that is my opinion.
    I am not a DIY when it involves electronics and speakers.

Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube on Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:02 am

I've been very happy with the Troels speakers I built last summer/fall/winter. They did take longer than expected to buld.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 6:27 am

Current date/time is Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:27 am