The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

Transformer rebuild / clone

TXFlyGuy

Transformer rebuild / clone

Post by TXFlyGuy on Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:34 am

Can anyone name a good company that does transformer work? Mine has a hum issue. Its a 1kva toroidal unit. No longer available anywhere, not even from the OEM. I need a new custom built tranny!

wolverine

Re: Transformer rebuild / clone

Post by wolverine on Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:36 am

Contact Alden at Heyboer. They are here in Grand Haven Michigan where I live. I have had 4 power supplies built by them and no issues at all. Top notch work.

Heyboer Audio Transformers
    17382 Hayes Street
    Grand Haven, MI 49417-9305
    616) 842-5830

TXFlyGuy

Post by TXFlyGuy on Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:14 am

Thanks for the info! I'm going to contact them right now.

polarflux

Hum?

Post by polarflux on Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:17 pm

What is too much transformer hum? Any hum at all? The power transformer on my ST-70 (new kit, not original) has a hum to it.

TXFlyGuy

Post by TXFlyGuy on Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:06 pm

This is a 1kva toroidal tranny in a solid state amp (Hafler). When new, it was DEAD quiet. Now, after 17 years, it hums and I can hear it from 12 feet away, if the room is quiet. When playing music, it is not so noticeable unless you are sitting next to the amp.
    To my ears, any noticeable mechanical noise is too much!
    Heyboer Audio was no help. I have since contacted Toroid Corp. of Maryland. Looks like they are willing to build a "one off" custom design for less than a King's fortune.

Luddite

Post by Luddite on Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:58 am

Have you tried decoupling your amplifier from the surface (shelf) upon which it is resting? The probable reason you hear the hum from 12 feet away is that the surface is being excited by the vibration and thus acts like a soundboard. You can try "Vibrapod" feet or for an even cheaper experiment, try using 3 or 4 artgum erasers under the chassis.

Charlie

TXFlyGuy

Post by TXFlyGuy on Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:18 am

I have had it sitting on a kitchen table in another house, as well as various shelves all with the same result. The transformer is vibrating somewhere between 60hz and 100hz.
    Very irritating, to say the least!

Luddite

Post by Luddite on Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:32 am

One other thought. There should be a foam or rubber disc between the toroid and the amplifier chassis. If this has become brittle or overly compressed after 12 years, then it could be the source of the problem. It might not be the transformer itself.

Charlie

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 9:37 am

Current date/time is Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:37 am