The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

Just when you think you've seen it all . . .

deepee99
    deepee99

Just when you think you've seen it all . . . Empty Just when you think you've seen it all . . .

Post by deepee99 Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:55 pm

A vacuum tube amp for your laptop.
    https://tubedepot.com/products/tubedepot-eclipse-stereo-vacuum-tube-amplifier
    Think I will go back to some old drinking and transistor habits . . .
    bluemeanies
    bluemeanies

Just when you think you've seen it all . . . Empty Re: Just when you think you've seen it all . . .

Post by bluemeanies Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:02 pm

deepee...you dog. You just beat me here. I just left the tube depot website.
    Really interesting piece and I might add impressive looking.
    What are moderately efficient speakers?
    I am not in the market but if I were I would consider this unit or at least to some comparing to this particular amplifier.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Just when you think you've seen it all . . . Empty Re: Just when you think you've seen it all . . .

Post by deepee99 Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:39 pm

bluemeanies wrote:deepee...you dog. You just beat me here. I just left the tube depot website.
    I am not in the market but if I were I would consider this unit or at least to some comparing to this particular amplifier.

Meanies, I can build you one from scratch for 5 large. Why settle for second-best?
    Gregg R.
    Gregg R.

Just when you think you've seen it all . . . Empty Just when you think you've seen it all . . .

Post by Gregg R. Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:30 am

Here's a battery-powered portable tube headphone amp for your laptop/tablet:

Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse

Only $1,899.00. Be the first kid on your block to own one!!
    pmarcin
    pmarcin

Post by pmarcin Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:45 am

It's a nice looking Beastie, I must say.
    bluemeanies
    bluemeanies

Post by bluemeanies Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:56 am

deepee99 wrote:
    bluemeanies wrote:deepee...you dog. You just beat me here. I just left the tube depot website.

Meanies, I can build you one from scratch for 5 large. Why settle for second-best?

Let me see if Larry Fine concurs...lol
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:54 pm

If new, too expensive to consider if any good.
    If vintage, too expensive to consider if any good.

Point being that good sound is about moving air. And that takes some combination of energy and surface area. One (1) EL84 on a very good day *might* be able to push out 8 watts. Driven to the bleeding edge. You will note that the ad says "Desktop SPL Levels". Suggesting a perhaps 3" speaker at best? Maybe?

I keep acoustic suspension speakers and I keep a pair of large Maggies. I have one 225WPC/RMS/8, one 100W, and four 60W solid state devices, in tubes, one 75, one 30, and one 15 W device. The Maggies suck up every watt of power from the big amp, my AR M5s perform well with the 100W amp, and my AR Receiver matches the AR3as well. The tube amps are adequate for the AR Athena sub-sat system, and the AR 14s.  The poor little ST35 works OK with the AR4x speakers in a small venue. This single-ended EL84 amp would not stand a chance.

Perhaps Klipschorns would do it. They are remarkably efficient, excellent sounding speakers, but huge and difficult to place. But, for good sound, good range and reasonable volume, that is where you would have to start.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:17 pm