The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

An infatuation turning into a love-affair with a dirt-cheap turntable

deepee99

An infatuation turning into a love-affair with a dirt-cheap turntable

Post by deepee99 on Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:44 pm

Holger at Montana Way turned me onto this, but I gotta share.
    There's a turntable floating around there, dirt-cheap, and it works superbly. If you've got any bit of vinyl, this is your baby.
    It's made by U-Turn Audio, http://uturnaudio.com/ entirely in Boston. They are nice and communicative people. So is the turntable.
    Starting price is $179 which includes an installed AT cart, but by the time you add the acrylic platter and the upgraded and pre-mounted Grado Black cart, you're still looking at $309 all in. For a brand-new dead-quiet turntable? I cannot make this puppy rumble or screech, all that comes out is music.
    Cons:
    You've got to accept whatever cart that comes with the model you select. But it's installed and aligned when shipped.
    Pros: They sent me an extra counterweight should I decide to install my heavier Orotofon. Gratis.
    I almost hate giving uturn a send-up. Once we all pile in prices are likely to double.
    Again, this is  report on a 100-hour experience, so if it blows up I'll let you know. But so far, so good. I mean, dayamn.

Doctor Hugocat

Re: An infatuation turning into a love-affair with a dirt-cheap turntable

Post by Doctor Hugocat on Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:08 pm

Thanks for this post: I wasn't aware of this company. The tonearm looks interesting, and I see it's made in the USA, a big plus for me! Keep us updated on how you get on. I already have a Grado Black, it's a nice cartridge in its price range.

Doctor Hugocat

Post by Doctor Hugocat on Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:18 pm

Also: excellent website: I love the page that take you step by step through the manufacturing process.

deepee99

Post by deepee99 on Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:39 pm

Doctor Hugocat wrote:Also: excellent website: I love the page that take you step by step through the manufacturing process.
    And they answer the phone!

ramon68

Post by ramon68 on Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:22 am

The tonearm looks like it was based on the Naim Aro. I have owned the Linn Ittok, Fidelity Research FR64, Zeta, and Aro tonearm, among others.
    The Aro is the best arm I have ever owned. If I needed a TT, I'd give this one a try. It costs a lot less than the cheapest upgrade I could make to my Linn.

Peter W.

Post by Peter W. on Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:44 am

deepee99 wrote:

Holger at Montana Way turned me onto this, but I gotta share.
    There's a turntable floating around there, dirt-cheap, and it works superbly. If you've got any bit of vinyl, this is your baby.
    It's made by U-Turn Audio, http://uturnaudio.com/ entirely in Boston. They are nice and communicative people. So is the turntable.
    Starting price is $179 which includes an installed AT cart, but by the time you add the acrylic platter and the upgraded and pre-mounted Grado Black cart, you're still looking at $309 all in. For a brand-new dead-quiet turntable? I cannot make this puppy rumble or screech, all that comes out is music.
    Cons:
    You've got to accept whatever cart that comes with the model you select. But it's installed and aligned when shipped.
    Pros: They sent me an extra counterweight should I decide to install my heavier Orotofon. Gratis.
    I almost hate giving uturn a send-up. Once we all pile in prices are likely to double.
    Again, this is  report on a 100-hour experience, so if it blows up I'll let you know. But so far, so good. I mean, dayamn.

Were I not irrationally committed to linear arms, I would definitely go this way. As it stands, I keep one Rabco and one Revox TT. So far, so good...

Dave_in_Va

Post by Dave_in_Va on Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:55 am

As an aside, when I swapped in an acrylic platter for the steel one on my Music Hall 5.1 it made a distinct improvement. Not a maybe/maybe not improvement but an honest audible difference. It was great $125 upgrade. Deeper tone, less noise.

I think the next improvement on my system will be a new cartridge but since I haven't swapped a cart for over 30 years I'm paranoid about being able to do it properly. I know it's a fiddly operation.

Peter W.

Post by Peter W. on Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:07 am

I think the next improvement on my system will be a new cartridge but since I haven't swapped a cart for over 30 years I'm paranoid about being able to do it properly. I know it's a fiddly operation.[/quote]

If your fine motor skills are still intact together with your vision, it is about 20 minutes work, most of which is summoning the courage to start....

ramon68

Post by ramon68 on Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:08 am

One more comment for vinyl lovers. On my Linn platter I replaced the felt mat with a cork one to some improvement.
    Finally went to a leather mat using it suede side up. Big improvement over cork. Blacker backgrounds and greater detail retrieval.

deepee99

Post by deepee99 on Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:31 am

Peter W. wrote:I think the next improvement on my system will be a new cartridge but since I haven't swapped a cart for over 30 years I'm paranoid about being able to do it properly. I know it's a fiddly operation.

If your fine motor skills are still intact together with your vision, it is about 20 minutes work, most of which is summoning the courage to start....[/quote]

The better grade Ortofons (2Ms for instance) have threaded mounting holes, which makes mounting and aligning a breeze because you're not having to fiddle with those bottom nuts. Spend $20 on an electronic VTF scale, and a like amount on a decent protractor, and you can knock it out in about a half an hour as Peter W says. OTOH, the nut-bolt combination will cost most of an afternoon and should not be done in the presence of wives or young children whose vocabulary you don't want to expand. And yes, summoning the gumption to do it is the hardest part.
    Ramon 68, where do you get a leather mat? I use cork but am always willing to do something twice if it doesn't kill me the first time.

wgallupe

Post by wgallupe on Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:54 am

Thanks for the 'heads up' Dave. Very timely. I just sent a link for this thread (and Uturn Audio) to my buddy who is helping his brother with a TT purchase.

Wayne

ramon68

Post by ramon68 on Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:55 pm

Deepee, I bought my mat from Analogue Seduction in U.K. The mat's brand name is Analogue Studio. Less than $40 plus shipping.
    You can spend less than $40 to over $100 for a leather mat, but this one works, especially if you are now using a felt or cork mat.

deepee99

Post by deepee99 on Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:07 pm

Many thanks. I will look 'em up.

Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube on Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:05 pm

ramon68 wrote:The tonearm looks like it was based on the Naim Aro. I have owned the Linn Ittok, Fidelity Research FR64, Zeta, and Aro tonearm, among others.
    The Aro is the best arm I have ever owned. If I needed a TT, I'd give this one a try. It costs a lot less than the cheapest upgrade I could make to my Linn.

When it comes to Linn upgrades, I cannot recommend more highly the tone arms by Audio Origami, and subchassis etc by aI (Analogue Innovations). Both small companies specializing in exceptional value for money Linn upgrades. No conection to the company,except for being a satisfied repeat customer of both outfits.

As for the UTurn--I've heard great things about these guys around the wee worldwide web, and here again, the reputation for value for money . . . . It can hardly be disputed that you can't lose. Compare the cost of two tix to a concert and gas to get there, plus dinner. . . . Even if you flushed all your vinyl in a purple haze that was light reflecting off one of your early cd's, with all its false promises. . . . It is a good time to get back to vinyl with the likes of the UTurn, or a vpi, or several other good companies with decent entry level decks. Moving up the scale, you can get a used Rega or Used Linn, then upgrade it in bits as budget allows. Never will you have to spend $45k on a record player to get exceptional sound. Unless you want to, and there are options for hise budgets too.

ramon68

Post by ramon68 on Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:09 am

Which arm from Audio Origami, PU7 or Uni?
    Audio Innovations has been promising for over 2 years to come out with an Aro armboard for their sub chassis.

Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube on Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:42 am

I have the PU7, but would love to hear the Unipivot.

deepee99

Post by deepee99 on Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:21 pm

FYI, the U-Turn Orbit has a unipivot tone-arm, regardless of the model. They're all the same, starting with the $179 entry-level. And it's plenty long enough that anti-skating ain't an issue. All you're paying for in the upgrades is to go to an acrylic platter as opposed to the MDF one on the basic grade, and better pre-installed and aligned cartridges. As I mentioned earlier, I went with their $309 "custom" model which included the acrylic platter and a Grado Black cart. I've run the hell out of this thing this past week, and it just seems to get better and better as the cart settles in. And they give you a hinged dust cover with any model. You don't even need a screwdriver to put it together.
    I've just no complaints about this machine and don't sense any coming.
    Again, if it craps out in a month I'll let you know. But I don't think that's going to happen.
    Cheerio,
    david

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 11:01 pm

Current date/time is Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:01 pm