The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

MkIII Restoration video

Kentley

MkIII Restoration video

Post by Kentley on Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:53 pm

This showed up today on OohTube. Anyone interested in Dynaco tube amp restoration should check it out.

Tube Nube

Re: MkIII Restoration video

Post by Tube Nube on Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:58 pm

Nice of him to acknowledge tubes4hifi as an option for a new kit.

A couple things I disagreed with-- he didn't appear to realize the board in Roy's kit is modern and an upgrade to the original.

He believes the original trannies are better than the new-- correct me if wrong, I thought the new ones are beefed up.

He didn't consider bead blasting the old chassis, chrome or painting them, and re stuffing them with Roy's driver board and other sundry parts from Roy and / or Kevin at Dynakits.

This would have also avoided the need for a matched quad of tubes, sparing the ones he already has.

So,I think he had room for a few more proposal options that would have made this a better "resto-mod" project.

Kentley

Post by Kentley on Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:10 pm

I agree, TN. What was good about this effort was the step-by-step delineation of the costs and the orderly approach. On specifics, not so good.
    The same is true of all of this guy's vids.

Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube on Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:09 pm

Good point Kentley, I agree. The way he broke down the project proposals on a spreadheet was excellent.

I'm gonna steal that off him when I lay out my plans for how I might mod my SP14 with exotic resistors, capacitors and tubes.

DarthBubba

Post by DarthBubba on Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:25 pm

I'm still waiting for him to discover that the Audio Research ARC SP-3-A1 he's also working on puts both channels in each tube.  He seems to think that the RIAA section is one channel, and the line amp is the other.  Shocked

-DB

tubes4hifi
    Admin

Post by tubes4hifi on Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:05 pm

in the end, it seems to me it came across as a sales pitch for him to upgrade your MK3s for $1250 rather than buying a new pair for $1800.
    So you spend $500-600 on some old beaters, then $1250 for a rebuild. Comes out about the same price . . .

Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube on Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:51 am

Not really a cost effective way to go.

If one knows enough to DIY the restoration, and make better choicesfor example, that will allow retaining those tubes, it could be a worthwhile project--provided one wants the challenge of restoring those.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 8:05 am

Current date/time is Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:05 am