The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

Maximum seaker cable lengths..

Ernstmach

Maximum seaker cable lengths..

Post by Ernstmach on Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:56 am

I'm going to do some renovation in my listening room and I'm considering gear layout to maximize speaker location.
    I'm running MKIII's to my Focal 948 speakers. Plenty of power for these speakers. Cable run maybe at most 25'. If I were to run them straight it would be less but I don't want guests tripping over cables.
    The cables I'm using now are 12'.
    My room is 12X18X8.

Any thoughts, advice, other considerations?
    Thanks!

corndog71

Re: Maximum seaker cable lengths..

Post by corndog71 on Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:51 am

Ernstmach wrote:I'm going to do some renovation in my listening room and I'm considering gear layout to maximize speaker location.
    I'm running MKIII's to my Focal 948 speakers. Plenty of power for these speakers. Cable run maybe at most 25'. If I were to run them straight it would be less but I don't want guests tripping over cables.
    My room is 12X18X8.

Thanks!

If I were you I would set the amps next to the speakers with just a few feet of speaker cable and use longer interconnects which can run along the corners back to your preamp.

Peter W.

Post by Peter W. on Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:10 pm

Ernstmach wrote:I'm going to do some renovation in my listening room and I'm considering gear layout to maximize speaker location.
    My room is 12X18X8.

Thanks!

12gauge, fine-stranded THHN, spun in a drill until loosely spiraled. Good for 40' pretry much any amp, any speakers.

deepee99

Post by deepee99 on Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:29 pm

I believe you can run up to 50 feet (per side) of 10-gauge speaker cable with no increase in resistance, or impedance issues.

deepee99

Post by deepee99 on Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:06 pm

Peter W. wrote:
    My room is 12X18X8.

Thanks!

12gauge, fine-stranded THHN, spun in a drill until loosely spiraled.  Good for 40' pretry much any amp, any speakers.  
    Peter, just for education's sake, why spiraled?

vtshopdog

Post by vtshopdog on Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:08 pm

Short as possible is good general rule.

Speaker impeance, distance and wire gauge are the variables, there is a formula if you want to do math.
    Here is a link to a chart for rough guideline if you don't.  

http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/live_sound/pa_systems/stagepas_300/2521/7034

Peter W.

Post by Peter W. on Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:50 pm

deepee99 wrote:
    Peter W. wrote:
    My room is 12X18X8.

Thanks!

12gauge, fine-stranded THHN, spun in a drill until loosely spiraled.  Good for 40' pretry much any amp, any speakers.  
    Reduces already negligible induction.

deepee99

Post by deepee99 on Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:11 am

Peter W. wrote:
    deepee99 wrote:
    Peter W. wrote:
    My room is 12X18X8.

Thanks!

Reduces already negligible induction.

Peter W., thanks for that chart. I notice that Yamaha cautions against any runs over 50 feet, regardless of gauge. So I guess obsessing over whether an 8-foot or a 10-foot run is best is really picking the pepper out of the rat-shite.

Peter W.

Post by Peter W. on Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:16 am

That would be Fly material.... Rat material is too easy!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 6:15 am

Current date/time is Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:15 am