The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Dynaco Durability - a $15 ST-70

Kentley
    Kentley

Dynaco Durability - a $15 ST-70 Empty Dynaco Durability - a $15 ST-70

Post by Kentley Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:09 am

Some guys have all the luck. This YouTuber documents a thrift-shop find which is drool-worthy. This unit's survival is undoubtedly due solely to the bomb-proof design and build of the early ST-70. Hopefully, he eventually did the right thing - a Latino board. Watch 'em and weep.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th9JsYJSglw
    It is unclear from the evidence, but one supposes that due to the non-working right channel (the 7199 on the board is not lit up, but those original EL-34s are bright) that this guy may have run this amp with no load on the right channel extensively. And, once fixed, there was no damage. What an amp.
    wildiowa

Dynaco Durability - a $15 ST-70 Empty Re: Dynaco Durability - a $15 ST-70

Post by wildiowa Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:17 am

My ST-70 I inherited from a dear old DJ friend who passed away and who was the undisputed number one source of knowledge on old records, who played on them, where they were recorded, etc. etc. I turned him on to Dynas many years ago and he picked his up at a thrift store with the cage still clearly marked "$4.95" in Sharpie. I'm not sure if he talked them down or not....

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:03 am