The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

Plug-in solid state rectifier replacements

PeterCapo

Plug-in solid state rectifier replacements

Post by PeterCapo on Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:53 am

I recall that some of the folks over here use plug-in solid state rectifier replacements instead of a tube rectifier.  I thought you might be interested in a post I put up over at AK.  I don’t think this is an issue for the ones that have resistors built in.  Rather, this seems to apply to some that have only the solid state diodes alone.  The story has a happy ending in my case, but I thought you might be interested in seeing it:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/not-thinking-i-want-to-use-an-ssr-again%E2%80%A6-didn%E2%80%99t-see-this-coming.739249/
    arledgsc

Re: Plug-in solid state rectifier replacements

Post by arledgsc on Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:57 pm

About six months ago I wired up the ST-120 rectifier +5V heater winding as a line voltage bucker so I could use straight diode rectification (relay board HV delay is a must in this config).  Diode rectification without the bucker was running about 525V and felt that was too high with no margin.  With the heater winding bucker I get about 495V and about the same as with the WZ68.  I could not be happier with the amp's performance and runs cooler!  I was worried about the heater voltages being reduced about 4% but still measure over 6V with KT-120s and Black Treasure CV-181.  Zero issues so far.  Sand packed?... hmmm.... I'll check out your link...
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube on Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:44 pm

"Ashes to ashes, dust to dust,
    To sand, silicon returns is a must".
    PeterCapo

Post by PeterCapo on Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:17 am

lol

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content