The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Screw loose!

mazeeff

Screw loose! Empty Screw loose!

Post by mazeeff Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:07 am

I have been fighting a drifting bias problem on my VTA-70 for a couple of days. The problem was related to a single socket, and was not tube related. The bias on that socket would drift from 35-45ma, and change as the temp increased. I checked all the bias resistors, and bias circuit. Everything was spot on. While making another measurement on the 10 ohm bias resistor, I noticed that the resistance was jumping from 10 to 16 ohms! Closer examination uncovered a loose socket screw, which the bias resistor uses to make its ground connection. Tightened the screw, and all is well. Seems like a good idea to periodically check all screws/nuts related to the ground distribution!

Mike

Last edited by mazeeff on Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:34 am; edited 1 time in total
    peterh
    peterh

Screw loose! Empty Re: Screw loose!

Post by peterh Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:20 pm

mazeeff wrote:I been fighting a drifting bias problem on my VTA-70 for a couple of days. The problem was related to a single socket, and was not tube related. The bias on that socket would drift from 35-45ma, and change as the temp increased. I checked all the bias resistors, and bias circuit. Everything was spot on. While making another measurement on the 10 ohm bias resistor, I noticed that the resistance was jumping from 10 to 16 ohms! Closer examination uncovered a loose socket screw, which the bias resistor uses to make its ground connection. Tightened the screw, and all is well. Seems like a good idea to periodically check all screws/nuts related to the ground distribution!

Mike
    Screwing in stainless steel is not a perfect way of grounding. Myself used a
    coarse copper wire as grounding point, this is itself grounded at the PSU minus post.
    mazeeff

Post by mazeeff Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:46 pm

peterh wrote:
    coarse copper wire as grounding point, this is itself grounded at the PSU minus post.

Good idea. Did you just run the copper ground bus, across the length of the chassis? How did you mount it?

Mike
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:33 pm

Only screw loose here is sitting in the listening chair. What a Face

Good point though. Another fairly common area of concern is a loose multi-cap. That can cause substantial hum even if all the actual electrical connections are good.

Honorable mention also to the RCA jacks. Those can loosen up and rotate, shorting out a channel.
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:39 pm

mazeeff wrote:
    peterh wrote:

Good idea. Did you just run the copper ground bus, across the length of the chassis? How did you mount it?

Mike
    I user solder tags : see http://n.manet.nu/vta70/

( i think i made a thread about this build, but here is one picture again)
    mazeeff

Post by mazeeff Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:17 pm

peterh wrote:
    mazeeff wrote:
    peterh wrote:

Mike
    I user solder tags : see http://n.manet.nu/vta70/

( i think i made a thread about this build, but here is one picture again)

Thanks. Simple enough, and I have the parts on hand!

Mike
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:25 pm

sKiZo wrote:Only screw loose here is sitting in the listening chair. What a Face

Good point though. Another fairly common area of concern is a loose multi-cap. That can cause substantial hum even if all the actual electrical connections are good.

Honorable mention also to the RCA jacks. Those can loosen up and rotate, shorting out a channel.

My VPI turntable came that way, loose RCA jacks and you could spin 'em into a short.. But VPI seemed to have used a pneumatic drill to install the plate that held them in. It was a bitch to fix.

Post by Guest Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:03 pm

well I have been known to have some loose screws........but yes, I too have been caught out with those loose blighters! It is something that could be easily overlooked!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:24 pm