The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Rectifier lighting up like a christmas tree

jrubin
    jrubin

Rectifier lighting up like a christmas tree Empty Rectifier lighting up like a christmas tree

Post by jrubin Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:12 pm

From the amplifier featured in the ST70 resurrection, completely restored with low hours, I was shocked (no pun intended) when using it for a test with my Heathkit O-12 oscilliscope restoration, the rectifier lit up like a christmas tree.   I wont spoil the fun, so the troubleshooting movie is here, the cause will surprise you.

Jordan
    Kentley
    Kentley

Rectifier lighting up like a christmas tree Empty Re: Rectifier lighting up like a christmas tree

Post by Kentley Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:03 pm

Nice work, Jordan. Low-key, informative and well-presented.
    The big take-away for me here is that if you are trying to restore and use a fifty year old amp, you'd be well-advised to have the proper tools and know-how. Otherwise, stick with a new VTA. Not as much fun for the prepared hobbyist, but far less likely to blow up the neighborhood.
    jrubin
    jrubin

Rectifier lighting up like a christmas tree Empty Re: Rectifier lighting up like a christmas tree

Post by jrubin Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:03 pm

I've got the one in the living room thats part of the stereo, this one kinda stays in the lab. Sounds as good as any ST70 you'll hear, but for whatever reason, some of the steps iv'e decided to do after replacing the chassis, but then never did because it still sits in the original chassis. The positive side to all that is if I scratch something of drop a tool during experimentation its no big deal.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:14 pm