The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

HDTV free calibration

tubes4hifi
    Admin

HDTV free calibration

Post by tubes4hifi on Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:54 am

not tubes, but HDTV free calibration procedure, make that new big screen look as great as possible . . .
    http://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-calibration/hdtv-calibration
    arledgsc

Re: HDTV free calibration

Post by arledgsc on Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:02 pm

Good information. My Visio TV/monitor was so far out of whack when I received it that immediate setup was needed. Too much red and everything looked too bright. I eye-balled the setup and looks great. The Visio has a built-in grey scale pattern that you can use for 80% of setups. Getting your hands on good test patterns is another expense.

I tried the cheaper colorimeters or spectrometers but the supplied SW just did not cut it. The SW routines were consumer oriented and way too basic/ automatic. "Does this look brighter or darker to you?". The resulting picture was not optimum. I need SW like the pros use where you make an adjustment on the monitor and SW displays the RGB and white/ black gains. Or overlays the colorimeter output on a color wheel to indicate the monitor visual output while adjustments are made in real time.

But a little tweaking can go a long way in improving the picture quality.
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo on Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:59 pm

Head on over to AVS Forum ... there's a whole buncha geeks who really get down and dirty on settings, and tweak the heck out of their sets using professional grade calibration techniques. I've partaken of their expert knowledge on the last couple sets here, with freakin' spectacular results. You CAN expect to maybe have to make an adjustment here and there to match your personal preferences, but there's enough settings available on most of these things nowadays that I'd call it nigh near impossible to do just moving sliders and such.

http://www.avsforum.com

Just head on over and search for your set, but be warned ... bring a shovel! The thread on my particular model is up to almost 6000 posts now. MOST of the "official" threads will have a "cheat" post towards the beginning pointing to the most popular nuggets - that helps a LOT.

PS ... most important thing anyone can do is take a new screen out of "torch" mode. That's the default setting for most and does a nice job of competing with a flood of flourescents in a big box store, but really shite for the home environment. That should be part of the initial setup menu. If you missed it first time around, reset the screen to the defaults and try again.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:09 am