The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

For the man who has everything . . . a levitating turntable

deepee99

For the man who has everything . . . a levitating turntable

Post by deepee99 on Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:30 am

Peter W.

Re: For the man who has everything . . . a levitating turntable

Post by Peter W. on Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:54 am

There was much speculation on this in another venue. Mostly highly skeptical. Having seen magnetic levitation in the past, I came up with a sketch that, although wildly speculative, does cover the basics. After which is my further wild speculations.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/huq5ehstsoe0cbo/maglev%20wild%20speculation.docx?dl=0

a) Neodymium magnets are wildly powerful. And can be shaped more efficiently than many other materials.
    b) By offsetting the suspension rings as shown, the forces centering and keeping the platter level would be very strong - certainly stronger than most suspension springs for that matter.
    c) And there would be negligible elastic forces - that is, no wobble or bounce. That window fan would not have a chance. Damping, similarly.
    d) The wow and flutter issue, though very real, would be pretty much eliminated by the mass of the platter (considerable) coupled with the very negligible mass of the drive motor.
    e) As the platter is essentially frictionless, it would not take much to keep it running once started. I would anticipate a few seconds of start-up, but after that, gyroscopic effects would contribute to leveling and to speed control. The couple of grams on the stylus, again, would not have a chance.
    f) The soft shut-down is already addressed. There is an on-board soft shut-down capacity that will raise the posts and lift the stylus.
    g) As to magnetic fields - consider that both the suspension field and the drive fields are static relative to each other. Meaning that there will be very little generated by way of stray fields, and that the platter, if properly designed, will be enough to shield the cartridge. Considering what goes on inside my HK/Rabco without ill effect, or my Revox B295, this would be low on my worry-scale.

Again, this is a neat trick, not something I intend to purchase. But a neat trick that appears to be both possible and reasonable to execute.

arledgsc

Post by arledgsc on Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:06 pm

Would the power magnets affect the cartridge coils and the very tiny currents induced during playback? Seems the platter is rotated by a moving magnetic field which has the making for a generator with the static cartridge.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. on Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:49 pm

arledgsc wrote:Would the power magnets affect the cartridge coils and the very tiny currents induced during playback?  Seems the platter is rotated by a moving magnetic field which has the making for a generator with the static cartridge.  

Not really. This would be no worse than a direct drive TT using a conventional motor - less so, actually as only a fraction of the energy would be required to turn a very nearly frictionless platter. The platter itself would also be a shield - as they are on conventional devices.

Keep in mind that the very tiny energy requirements of the system suggest strongly that the suspending primary magnet is not electric, but also a permanent magnet. Hence the need for extendable legs when the platter is at rest. So, as there are no reversing poles, the rotation will not generate any current in the suspending magnets, nor any stray fields. Quite elegant, in my opinion.
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 on Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:54 pm

I guess we'll know the answers soon enough, because you know at least one of us crazy OCDs is gonna buy one.
    Actually, for a kilobuck it's certainly on the bottom of the price point for upper end spinners.
    Mag-lev technology has worked for a decade or two on Asian trains. Different application, and I would have concerns about cartridge noise. But the concept is fascinating. So please, somebody buy one and let the rest of us know. The idea of a floating platter would certainly be a chick-magnet.
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube on Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:26 pm

...but what good is a chick, magnetically stuck to a heavy freefloating turntable platter?
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. on Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:39 pm

Tube Nube wrote:...but what good is a chick, magnetically stuck to a heavy freefloating turntable platter?

This is one of those "if you have to ask..." situations.
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 on Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:41 pm

Peter W. wrote:
    Tube Nube wrote:...but what good is a chick, magnetically stuck to a heavy freefloating turntable platter?

This is one of those "if you have to ask..." situations.
    Guess it depends on the jewellery she's wearing.
    10-E-C

Post by 10-E-C on Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:50 pm

deepee99 wrote:I guess we'll know the answers soon enough, because you know at least one of us crazy OCDs is gonna buy one.
    Actually, for a kilobuck it's certainly on the bottom of the price point for upper end spinners.
    Mag-lev technology has worked for a decade or two on Asian trains. Different application, and I would have concerns about cartridge noise. But the concept is fascinating.  So please, somebody buy one and let the rest of us know. The idea of a floating platter would certainly be a chick-magnet.

I've seen this technology used it the drive axis of CNC machines. Oh what fun it was being an electronic maintenance tech for many years.

TM
    Dave_in_Va

Post by Dave_in_Va on Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:03 pm

That thing is SUPER cool!
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo on Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:33 pm

Just a prelude to invasion ...

Peter W.

Post by Peter W. on Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:39 pm

Well, it is absolutely certainly the case that any invading group would not be benign. Probably not such pushovers, either. At the same time, our Dynaco tube stuff would survive an EMP where very nearly anything with a programmed or programmable chip would not.
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo on Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:01 pm

Yup, the only casualty would be the Capitol dome in DC when the platter from your levitating turntable takes off and goes crashing into it ...

You gonna have some splainin to do!

PS ... is it just me, or do I see some serious wobble in the Z axis when that thing is spinning?
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 on Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:35 am

The Z Axis would only be of concern after the Pulse.
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo on Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:50 pm

The Pulse?

Dogstar

Post by Dogstar on Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:11 pm

I'd like to see the levitating turntable on top of my flying carpet.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:56 pm