The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+8
bluemeanies
Gregg R.
pedrocols
deepee99
Kentley
Tube Nube
sKiZo
LeGrace
12 posters

New rectifier tubes

LeGrace
    LeGrace

New rectifier tubes Empty New rectifier tubes

Post by LeGrace Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:00 pm

These rectifiers dwarf my previous 5AR4's! No comparing!

New rectifier tubes Mullard
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

New rectifier tubes Empty Re: New rectifier tubes

Post by sKiZo Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:46 pm

Pretty much bulletproof under normal use too ... I've got a couple years on this one, and a spare just in case.

New rectifier tubes 6sn7-installed

Stands tall amongst the other big bottles.

Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:31 pm

Mmmmm. The GZ 37 is a sexy seductress among rectifiers.
    Kentley
    Kentley

Post by Kentley Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:00 pm

To me, it resembles nothing so much as a falcon at rest. Sleek, and ready to dive at near-supersonic speed into my tunage. Which it does nicely.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:21 am

But Real Men need GZ-33s. Tall as that DC-6B's tail. Now we're talkin'.
    pedrocols
    pedrocols

Post by pedrocols Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:01 pm

You guys are tempting me to take the GZ-33s out of the storage (aka drawer).
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:10 pm

Pedro, be happy to take them off your hands if they're a burden to you . . .
    LeGrace
    LeGrace

Post by LeGrace Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:31 pm

I originally wanted GZ33's, but wasn't able to find any.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:21 pm

LeGrace wrote:I originally wanted GZ33's, but wasn't able to find any.
    They're around. I know a guy in Ankara, Turkey who's got a few.
    pedrocols
    pedrocols

Post by pedrocols Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:38 pm

deepee99 wrote:Pedro, be happy to take them off your hands if they're a burden to you . . .
    You kind of scared me there for a second so I ran to my storage and they are still there... Laughing
    New rectifier tubes IMG_0700_zpsbtchpcxv
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:09 pm

pedrocols wrote:
    deepee99 wrote:Pedro, be happy to take them off your hands if they're a burden to you . . .
    You kind of scared me there for a second so I ran to my storage and they are still there... Laughing
    New rectifier tubes IMG_0700_zpsbtchpcxv
    Quit showing off, Pedrocols or I'll find out where you live and where you've stashed those tubes. Smile
    LeGrace
    LeGrace

Post by LeGrace Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:07 pm

deepee99 wrote:
    LeGrace wrote:I originally wanted GZ33's, but wasn't able to find any.
    They're around. I know a guy in Ankara, Turkey who's got a few.

I tried out your guy. My wife deleted the email confirmation because she thought it was Russian spam mail. Laughing But turns out they are totally legit. Surprising bit I received the tubes in just 6 days. From Turkey! That's faster then service I commonly get from Amazon!!
    Gregg R.
    Gregg R.

Post by Gregg R. Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:03 am

The Mullard GZ-33 is available from Upscale Audio:

Mullard GZ-33

I got one a couple of weeks ago; sounds good in my Latino VTA-70.

But to do it justice, you need to feature it center-stage, like sKiZo in his custom VTA-120, where it stands proud and erect. farao
    Kentley
    Kentley

Post by Kentley Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:28 am

Oh Gregg, go to your room and stay there until your father gets home!
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:38 am

Gregg R. wrote:The Mullard GZ-33 is available from Upscale Audio:

Mullard GZ-33

I got one a couple of weeks ago; sounds good in my Latino VTA-70.

But to do it justice, you need to feature it center-stage, like sKiZo in his custom VTA-120, where it stands proud and erect. farao
    We VTA owners all stand proud and erect, no matter where the rectifier is positioned . . .
    Kentley
    Kentley

Post by Kentley Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:47 am

Seriously, I've got a logic question on SS vs. tube rectifiers.
    I've long preferred the sound of tube rectifiers. I'm beginning to understand that it likely has to do with the voltage drop which all tubes provide, more or less, compared to the SS, which provides little or none.
    How does this impact the ability of the amp to handle peaks - i.e. headroom? It seems to me that a tube rectifier might change the way the output stage reacts to huge peaks in a way that is more forgiving, yet at the same time more realistic. Anyone?
    Gregg R.
    Gregg R.

Post by Gregg R. Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:56 am

The GZ-33 in my VTA-70 replaced a JJ 5AR4. I didn't need to adjust the bias at all, so I presume the voltage drop was about the same. Yet, the two tube rectifiers did sound different: the Mullard was richer sounding, the JJ thinner, but a little more detailed. I think there is more involved than simply a voltage drop.

In the overall scheme of the amplifier, the differences are small. But we are audiophiles, so any change assumes epic proportions.

I ordered some UF5408 diodes for the yellow sheet modification. When installed, does the amplifier retain the sonic signature of a tube rectifier, or does it now sound like solid-state rectification?

I chose the fancy Vishay branded diodes, but looking at the invoice I noticed that the country of origin is China; kind of a bummer: I was hoping for some sultry French-speaking diodes: Ooh-la-la!!
    bluemeanies
    bluemeanies

Post by bluemeanies Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:31 pm

I gotta a pair!
    Kentley
    Kentley

Post by Kentley Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:58 pm

Blue: I ass-u-me you meant "I gotta GET a pair"? Or maybe, "I gotta pair"??? {I hope you mean GZ-33s and not..... affraid}

Gregg, you hit a nerve with your statement about "small changes". and I totally agree, though some cynics would attribute the perception of change to wishful thinking. There's perhaps no logical, or empirical, reason for such discrepancies, yet that certainly seem very real. As I'm {too} fond of saying, there are things that can be measured but not heard and there are things that can be heard yet not measured.
    That said, I believe the import of the yellow-sheet diode mod is that you retain the SQ of the tube, while protecting same by "pre-rectification" with diodes. Thus spake tubes4hifi.
    Gregg R.
    Gregg R.

Post by Gregg R. Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:52 am

Hi Kent,

There is some wishful thinking on my part. I paid $18 delivered for the JJ 5AR4, and about $108 for the GZ-33; if the Mullard does not sound better, I'd be kicking myself. To double-check, I put the JJ back in last night; that confirmed my initial reactions: the Mullard is richer, the JJ thinner; I prefer the Mullard. The JJ looks plain and ordinary, the GZ-33 is tall and shapely. You have a hi-fi system and listen to music because it makes you feel good. It's difficult to measure that! Music can be reduced to mathematics, but it's the overall "gestalt" that you're after. Vacuum tubes help.

I'm glad that the "yellow sheet" modification retains the sonic flavor of the vacuum tube rectifier; I probably will be installing the diodes within the next week. I'll use the JJ 5AR4 first to test the new circuit, then if all is well, install the Mullard.

Thanks for your help. cheers
    bluemeanies
    bluemeanies

Post by bluemeanies Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:07 pm

Kentley wrote:Blue: I ass-u-me you meant "I gotta GET a pair"? Or maybe, "I gotta pair"??? {I hope you mean GZ-33s and not..... affraid}

Gregg, you hit a nerve with your statement about "small changes". and I totally agree, though some cynics would attribute the perception of change to wishful thinking. There's perhaps no logical, or empirical, reason for such discrepancies, yet that certainly seem very real. As I'm {too} fond of saying, there are things that can be measured but not heard and there are things that can be heard yet not measured.
    That said, I believe the import of the yellow-sheet diode mod is that you retain the SQ of the tube, while protecting same by "pre-rectification" with diodes. Thus spake tubes4hifi.

GZ-33's....if you were as old at Kently and myself I would call you a "DIRTY OLD MAN" Sleep
    Steve G

Post by Steve G Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:43 pm

Is it possible a GZ-33 or any rectifier tube cause hum? With all things being equal, that is my construction was the same, solder joints good, four KT-88's in each amp. I still have a hum in both channels. Tried different speaker, eliminated the ground with 3>2 adapter, relocated one amp, shorted out the input. All I can think of is the rectifier tube. Mullard GZ-33, your thoughts. I may order a pair of JJ GZ-34 from Amazon since they have everything and then some.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:08 pm

Steve G wrote:Is it possible a GZ-33 or any rectifier tube cause hum?  With all things being equal, that is my construction was the same, solder joints good, four KT-88's in each amp.  I still have a hum in both channels.  Tried different speaker, eliminated the ground with 3>2 adapter, relocated one amp, shorted out the input.  All I can think of is the rectifier tube.  Mullard GZ-33, your thoughts.  I may order a pair of JJ GZ-34 from Amazon since they have everything and then some.

I'd be checking my inter-connects before blaming a single rectifier for a two-channel hum. If your RCA cords are too close to the AC power lines, you're gonna get hum on both sides. If they *must* be close together, cross them at a 90-degree angle. A parallel run almost guarantees hum.
    cci1492
    cci1492

Post by cci1492 Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:36 pm

Kentley wrote:Blue: I ass-u-me you meant "I gotta GET a pair"? Or maybe, "I gotta pair"??? {I hope you mean GZ-33s and not..... affraid}

"pre-rectification with diodes"...I did the diode mod this week and 30 minutes ago just popped out the Webers and replaced with U77s. To my ears it sounds about the same so far...just a little jazz in ultra-linear mode. Does the diode mod actually allow the U77 put out more current than the stated current spec for this rectifier toob?
    Steve G

Post by Steve G Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:42 pm

deepee99 wrote:
    Steve G wrote:Is it possible a GZ-33 or any rectifier tube cause hum?  With all things being equal, that is my construction was the same, solder joints good, four KT-88's in each amp.  I still have a hum in both channels.  Tried different speaker, eliminated the ground with 3>2 adapter, relocated one amp, shorted out the input.  All I can think of is the rectifier tube.  Mullard GZ-33, your thoughts.  I may order a pair of JJ GZ-34 from Amazon since they have everything and then some.

I'd be checking my inter-connects before blaming a single rectifier for a two-channel hum. If your RCA cords are too close to the AC power lines, you're gonna get hum on both sides. If they *must* be close together, cross them at a 90-degree angle. A parallel run almost guarantees hum.

I completely re-located one amp with no input and the other amp was off, the input was shorted and no inter-connect cables were in the mix. Also used a different speaker. The only thing I did isolate causing a "buzz" not a "hum" was my cordless phone and when I unplugged it the buzz went away, so that's not it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:10 pm