The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

BiAmp Experiment

LeGrace

BiAmp Experiment

Post by LeGrace on Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:05 pm

Decided to try biamping. Speakers are Tannoy D700's, dual 10" drivers. Decided to try driving the top dual concentric 10's with the M125's in triode mode, and the lower bass 10's with my SS Marantz PM11S1. Love it! Wish i had investigated  this sooner! Normally biamping is non productive, but I'm learning there are exceptions...

Dogstar

Re: BiAmp Experiment

Post by Dogstar on Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:39 pm

Did you use any type of a crossover, active or passive, to control the power going to speakers since your two types of amps are not similar? I'm asking because I currently building a Tubelab Simple Single Ended amp and I was think of trying something like what you've done though I figured I'd need to use some type of crossover. The SSE amp puts out about 8 watts and I I know it's a little low but I was building the amp as an experiment.

Tubelab also offers a board to build to build a push pull amp using EL84 power tubes. That amp puts out 18 wpc. Similar to an ST-35. That amp might work nicely as well.
    LeGrace

Post by LeGrace on Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:47 am

Not in the classical sense of fully external with nothing internal to the speakers. But do have something rudimentary. M125's are connected through an external high pass crossover set at 160 hz.  

Main interest in trying this was as a way to augment anemic triode mode. The extra 100w/ch out from the SS unit certainly amps up the bass! The M-125's still deliver the warmness of triode into the mids and highs, but now without worry of starving the bass as volumes increase. In UL mode the M-125's were more then up to the job, but I simply prefer the triode sound.  The associated power penalty is where things were going a bit pear shaped.

This in turn has allowed me to convert the M-125's back over to dual tube format w/o sacrificing anything this time around. Quite pleased with how it all sounds now, a really nice full bodied presentation overall.

Your 8w SSE could be fine if all it will be driving is the upper end. Anyway pays to experiment!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 24, 2017 3:38 pm