The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

RIAA EQ Mod - PAS 2

8xlaxx

RIAA EQ Mod - PAS 2 Empty RIAA EQ Mod - PAS 2

Post by 8xlaxx Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:41 am

If anyone has performed the RIAA EQ mod to their PAS2, could you please advise on proper capacitor matching, suggested brands, AND parts numbers if you used a vendor ? (ie. Digi-key,...no affiliation.)
    Thank you!
    j beede
    j beede

RIAA EQ Mod - PAS 2 Empty Re: RIAA EQ Mod - PAS 2

Post by j beede Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:24 pm

I purchase the majority of my capacitors from Antique Electronic Supply. Excellent inventory, excellent service, no minimum. They sell the usual industrial brands--Sprague, Illinois, Mallory, CE, Solen, and others. Heads up: I discovered that the labeling on some CE types could be damaged/removed by common solvents.

The caps you will need are inexpensive. Buy more than needed and then "match" values using a simple cap meter. If you intend to use the stock PCB (or clone) you will probably find that many boutique brands take up too much space. I was unable to find every exact value so installed some paralleled sets--one cap on top of the PCB, one below. It worked out well.

I found that getting rid of that input selector "rat's nest" and the miserable caps located on it was the single best upgrade to the PAS. That preamp now operates without crosstalk--like a "real" preamp.

RIAA EQ Mod - PAS 2 Verhead
    RIAA EQ Mod - PAS 2 Selector%20switch
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:40 pm

8xlaxx wrote:If anyone has performed the RIAA EQ mod to their PAS2, could you please advise on proper capacitor matching, suggested brands, AND parts numbers if you used a vendor ? (ie. Digi-key,...no affiliation.)
    Thank you!

What RIAA mod are you talking about ? is it :
    http://www.curcioaudio.com/Dynaco%20PAS%20RIAA%20EQ%20Correction%20Mod.pdf

Then read :
    http://www.audioregenesis.com/documents/PAS_Phono.pdf

and then enjoy your PAS2 "as is"
    8xlaxx

Post by 8xlaxx Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:04 pm

Thank you Peter. I thoroughly read the article. The screwdriver is staying put on the bench. Will just have to sacrifice the Tape Out low-end frequency compromise/response.

Again, appreciate the link.
    j beede
    j beede

Post by j beede Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:39 pm

Regardless of what you do regarding the RIAA circuit... by all means replace your input selector and its associated wiring. If you are still running the stock power supply--that needs to go too.

Replacing the input selector is an ideal time to replace the stock RCA I/O board. This is not a trivial job but makes the PAS perform like a much more modern preamp.
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:30 pm

j beede wrote:Regardless of what you do regarding the RIAA circuit... by all means replace your input selector and its associated wiring. If you are still running the stock power supply--that needs to go too.

Replacing the input selector is an ideal time to replace the stock RCA I/O board. This is not a trivial job but makes the PAS perform like a much more modern preamp.
    Why replace the input selector ? Motivate please.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:51 am