The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

Very Vintage ST70 Bias Upgrade

Peter W.
    Peter W.

Very Vintage ST70 Bias Upgrade Empty Very Vintage ST70 Bias Upgrade

Post by Peter W. Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:30 pm

This unit has the cursive Dynakit label as an indicator of age. But the second-generation driver board with the additional low-value caps.

Just for giggles (and peace of mind), this Sunday, I took an hour to do the bias diode, cap and resistors upgrade as previously detailed herein.

1N4007 diode.
    67 @ 140V 105C caps.
    10K @ 1/2 watt resistor
    22K @ 1/2 watt resistor

That latter value put the travel of the adjustment pot almost exactly dead-center to 1.5V. The suggested 20K value skewed it slightly.

I am running German Siemens "thin-man" EL34s with about 4,500 hours on them at best-guess. Two matched pairs, and as verified on the Hickok still 'close enough' for filament and plate current at the correct bias (all user-inputs/outputs on the 539B). Still lots of getter-flash. The 5AR4 is a British Mullard, the 7199s are Sylvanias with the same date code.

NOTES:
    I could watch the current drawn on the unit drop from about 1.5 A to about 1.4A when I reduced the bias from the approximately 2.5V (after resistor replacement).
    I am running now at 1.4V, steady as a rock after 15 minutes of warm-up. So, setting the proper bias has more just an affect on the output tube life.
    I also took the opportunity to test each connection with a dental-pick, and clean the switches and pots. The mono-stereo switch was failing - the back phenolic section split), so that is now bypassed. I re-soldered three connections and rebuilt two traces on the driver board. None yet failed but certainly getting there.
    The OEM 4 section cap tests out for capacitance *and* ESR. Imagine that! Not that I do not have my eye on it.

The unit is now sitting in my test shelf being fed by a PAS3x, FM3 & CD player. The next few times I am working at the bench, it will provide sound, until I have about 20 more hours of steadiness completed. Then it will shift back into permanent service.

Very Vintage ST70 Bias Upgrade AAB3JI7GsBnSfPhC01dbbXiFa?dl=0&oref=e&r=AAWcfLVH6S44CmKP4Km5XaNIshwxAL2N2zZio6oBl7Y4ewiHzquOrmcCxelAbii1-9NdBws967prpiLDQ9b_qi-C7eOy0nynxzjKcueLLIatFqUg4SoMt-MiV1M72NnjPJkelaZKMzVIW0EyxGR9htjDRIrIbHsMafCfDrlZGvFI0Q&sm=1

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 pm