The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

Tube rectifiers

tubenutr

Tube rectifiers

Post by tubenutr on Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:43 am

Hey, I've only had one tube fail and that was after a power blip.
    Looked around and found a non-clamping GFCI plug and hasn't happened again.
    I've tried quite a few tubes from Europe, the US and China.
    Currently using a Chinese tube by Langrex of GB.
    Works like a charm. For what this is worth.

Mike
    j beede

Re: Tube rectifiers

Post by j beede on Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:39 pm

Better order spare 5AR4s after that post. Mr. Murphy is predicting an onslaught of failed rectifiers in your future :-)

I have had good results with SOVTEK 5AR4. I attribute some of this to the series 1n4007 that many of us have inserted ahead of the 5AR4/GZ-34--the so-called "yellow sheet" modification. I also attribute it to keeping the load on my rectifiers on the light side. I suppose that's why my MkIIIs have such weak bass  Rolling Eyes

Yellow sheet rectifier mod
    tubenutr

Post by tubenutr on Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:48 pm

j beede wrote:Better order spare 5AR4s after that post. Mr. Murphy is predicting an onslaught of failed rectifiers in your future :-)

I have had good results with SOVTEK 5AR4. I attribute some of this to the series 1n4007 that many of us have inserted ahead of the 5AR4/GZ-34--the so-called "yellow sheet" modification. I also attribute it to keeping the load on my rectifiers on the light side. I suppose that's why my MkIIIs have such weak bass  Rolling Eyes

I have enough to last for years.
    Gregg R.

Post by Gregg R. on Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:20 am

I have also tried the Chinese/Shuguang 5AR4 from Langrex of the UK. It sounded real good, until it failed after just 3 months.
    As far as reliability, I have had the best luck with the Weber WZ68. However, I prefer the sound of tube rectification in my Latino VTA-70. An actual vacuum tube in that position seems to provide better flow and tactile presence to the music. Solid-state rectifiers sound more mechanical to my ears. It's a close call, however; most people will go with reliability.

For the last week, I've been using a Mullard GZ33, purchased from Upscale Audio. It sounds good, but hasn't quite bowled me over. I expected more for $100. The Shuggie actually sounded the best of all the tube rectifiers I've tried: Genalex U77, JJ 5AR4, Sovtek, NOS GE 5U4G. The Sovtek also failed after a couple months.

My advice, put your money into the center tube of the VTA board, then the power tubes, then the driver tubes, lastly the rectifier.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 24, 2017 3:29 pm