The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

Storing a tube amp Advice please.

Ernstmach

Storing a tube amp Advice please.

Post by Ernstmach on Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:17 am

I have an amp that I will be storing, likely long term (years).
    Any advice that will help to keep this amp viable when pulled from storage? Is that even possible?
    It will be stored in a sealed plastic container with desiccant pack.

Thanks!
    Bob.

Dogstar

Re: Storing a tube amp Advice please.

Post by Dogstar on Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:49 am

I would imagine you should remove the tubes, though I'm sure you've already planned to that. In order to minimize corrosion perhaps placing the amp in a heavy duty vacuum bag with desiccant and then removing as much air as possible.

Or you can send it to me and I'll take care of for you. :-)
    arledgsc

Post by arledgsc on Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:05 pm

Store in a climate controlled space without large swings of temperature and humidity. Electolytic capacitors would probably be biggest possible issue in years to come. Heat can also degrade wiring insulation. So keep it out of the attic or garage.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. on Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:03 pm

Keep it dry, in a conditioned space if possible, and away from any form of dampness. I suggest double-bagging it with a desiccant. Keep the tubes wrapped separately and protected, in the same bag.

Remember that the biggest issue for re-start will be any electrolytic caps.
    peterh

Post by peterh on Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:19 pm

Ernstmach wrote:I have an amp that I will be storing, likely long term (years).
    Any advice that will help to keep this amp viable when pulled from storage? Is that even possible?
    It will be stored in a sealed plastic container with desiccant pack.

Thanks!
    Bob.

No problem. Enclose any documentation you have, leave tubes in place,
    store upright in case some cap leaks.
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo on Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:58 pm

Just put it in the barn, packed tight with acorns, leaves, bugs, and dead mice ...

(oh, the horrors I've seen)

Anybody ever try one of those vacuum bags you hook up to a shop vac? Couple desiccant bags inside, and it should be pretty much bulletproof storage. Your electronics will still degrade with time, but without mother nature's help ...

If it's got a cover, I'd go ahead and leave the tubes in place. If nothing else, it'll make it easier to withstand the urge to knock the thing around in storage.
    Ernstmach

Post by Ernstmach on Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:20 am

Thanks for they advice everyone.
    I just ordered a 20lb's of acorns and interviewing mice for the job sKiZo! Laughing

Would leaving the tubes in be a good idea? I'd rather pull the tubes. Should the pin sockets be treated with something?

I'm thinking a large ziplock type bag and purging as much air from it is maybe the way to go.
    This will be stored in a closet that would see no large fluctuations in temp and little chance of being bumped.

This is a pretty good amp, not as good as my MKIII's. I have tried selling it but can't get what it's worth and shipping 60lbs scares most buyers off so I'll let my heirs deal with it.

Thanks much!
    peterh

Post by peterh on Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:03 am

Ernstmach wrote:Thanks for they advice everyone.
    I just ordered a 20lb's of acorns and interviewing mice for the job sKiZo! :lol:

Would leaving the tubes in be a good idea? I'd rather pull the tubes. Should the pin sockets be treated with something?

I'm thinking a large ziplock type bag and purging as much air from it is maybe the way to go.
    This will be stored in a closet that would see no large fluctuations in temp and little chance of being bumped.

This is a pretty good amp, not as good as my MKIII's. I have tried selling it but can't get what it's worth and shipping 60lbs scares most buyers off so I'll let my heirs deal with it.

Thanks much!

one very good reason to let the tubes remain in their sockets is to save
    the tubes from destruction. They are better protected there then in most other environments, and they don't have the stress associated with tube removal. Nor
    do they risk malplacing when in the future the amp is started again.
    Make sure no bugs may enter, a vacuum-sealed bag as suggested might be a
    good thing.
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:11 pm

What make/model amp is it?

j4570

Post by j4570 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:33 pm

If you are going to vacuum bag it, I would recommend wrapping it in some kind of cloth and then vacuuming it. I've done this with a lot of things and simply vacuum bagging usually results in the vacuum cutting the bag on a sharp metal edge. I would recommend a secondary seal and dessicant also. Storing it in an air conditioned space is ideal. I would build a wood box out of scrap ply wood or something if it was going to be left somewhere where a friend might have to move it and possibly damage it. See my other comment about blowing a cheap solid state amp? That was done by a roommate of my buddy (never could prove it) who hooked it up and used it when I had gone home one summer. I had stored my stuff with him. His roommate wasn't the best......
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. on Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:37 pm

Please note the interpolations:

Ernstmach wrote:Thanks for they advice everyone.
    I just ordered a 20lb's of acorns and interviewing mice for the job sKiZo! Laughing

I once had a few pros that would love that work. We have cats now in all locations that use tubes, so those pros have been dispatched to a better place.

No and no. No-1: Because if any corrosion does take place, the tube pins may 'weld' to the sockets. No-2: Because any treatment may not  'stop' and continue to eat away at the sockets should they be anti-oxidants.

Yes. Add desiccant packs to the bag, and use two bags, each with its own desiccant. Remember that Zip-Lock bags are not often entirely air-tight if not very carefully sealed. So, check about a week later to make sure that the seal 'took'.

Thanks much!
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 on Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:08 pm

Ernstmach,
    Since the amp(s) are going to be your heirs' problem, just dip the whole smash in Cosmoline. It can be removed 50 years later with low heat or with mineral spirits, *meaning paint thinner, not gasoline*. Won't save your electrolytics but it will keep everything nice and dry.

Dogstar

Post by Dogstar on Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:07 pm

Cosmoline certainly will protect the amp from corrosion as long as it doesn't crack. When I worked for Boeing Helicopters tooling and gages were dipped in Cosmoline after use to protect them from corrosion. But none of the fixtures included electronics. Cosmoline would turn everything into a mess.

Wrap the amp in a soft cloth after removing the tubes. Wrap the tubes individually in soft cloths also. Then put everything in a vacuum bag along with desiccant. And suck as much air out of the bags. Store the amp in tubes in a sturdy box that won't collapse.

Last edited by Dogstar on Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Ernstmach

Post by Ernstmach on Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:17 am

"just dip the whole smash in Cosmoline"
    Now there's an idea! I could then bequeath it to a family member I like the least.......

"Cosmoline would turn everything into a mess."
    Yea, I have dealt with it a bit. Cleaning up some Army surplus items.

I'm thinking of lowering the price to move it on. Or give it to a budding audio enthusiast that could learn to appreciate what the hobby has to offer.
    Thanks for the thoughts everyone!
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 on Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:15 am

IIRC, you never said what kind of amp it is, what you want for it, or where you've got it now.
    Yeah, the Cosmoline was a joke. Getting that stuff out of a mothballed pistol or rifle rivals continuous KP.
    bluemeanies

Post by bluemeanies on Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:42 pm

I disagree with leaving tubes in an amplifier that is being put in storage. I always save boxes of everything I have concerning electronics, even tubes boxes.
    However, one can always invest in a little eggcrate foam to store your tubes for a lengthy time period.
    As for the amplifier itself the idea of storing IT in a vacuum sealed bag is an excellent idea and safe from the elements for years.
    You might consider the same process for the tubes after you wrap them up in the aforementioned egg rate foam.
    Ernstmach

Post by Ernstmach on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:09 pm

Problem solved. Managed to sell the amp.
    Thanks very much everyone!
    bluemeanies

Post by bluemeanies on Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:57 am

From storing to selling.
    Well I guess you can always buy another one when you are ready.

Dogstar

Post by Dogstar on Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:52 am

Ernstmach wrote:Problem solved. Managed to sell the amp.
    Thanks very much everyone!

Out of curiosity what kind of tube amp did you decide to sell rather than store?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 28, 2017 2:36 pm