The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+5
vtshopdog
Peter W.
deepee99
LeGrace
Steve G
9 posters

One down and....

Steve G

One down and.... Empty One down and....

Post by Steve G Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:34 pm

one to go. Good news, no problems bias adjusted properly even made sound through one speaker. Four KT-88's sure pump out the heat. The second one should go easier.
    LeGrace
    LeGrace

One down and.... Empty Re: One down and....

Post by LeGrace Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:23 am

Yeah they do pretty well as space heaters as well. I see that commonly cited as a criticism of tube amps within the audio community. But living In Canada its all upside as far as I'm concerned.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do!
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:34 am

LeGrace wrote:Yeah they do pretty well as space heaters as well. I see that commonly cited as a criticism of tube amps within the audio community. But living In Canada its all upside as far as I'm concerned.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do!

Normal M.O. here, living just south of the 49th parallel, is two tubes in summer, four in winter. Insofar as only about 3 percent of the power consumed by a tube amp translates into sound, the rest goes to heat and light. Since even the brightest tubes don't produce but a few lumens of light, one can think of them as quasi-efficient space-heaters with side benefits.
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:35 pm

Normal M.O. here, living just south of the 49th parallel, is two tubes in summer, four in winter. Insofar as only about 3 percent of the power consumed by a tube amp translates into sound, the rest goes to heat and light. Since even the brightest tubes don't produce but a few lumens of light, one can think of them as quasi-efficient space-heaters with side benefits.[/quote]

Same wishes for enjoyment!

Keep in mind that electric heat as such is 100% efficient. So if heat is the desired product whether from a tube or a heating element, there are no losses. What is not music is heat, and what is not heat is music - both desired products.

Making the use of tubes a 100% beneficial process in cooler climes.

Aside: Older AB PP solid-state designs 'waste' very nearly as much heat as tube designs at about 35%-and-up of rated output. Class A solid-state designs are equally "wasteful" as tubes on a watt-to-watt basis at any level except quiescent. So don't let the Solid State set criticize your choice of systems. Class D devices, however, are quite efficient as compared to other systems and types.
    vtshopdog
    vtshopdog

Post by vtshopdog Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:29 am

LOL - mine have the net effect of making the house cooler as the right channel amp is situated about 3' from the thermostat and tricks it into thinking the house iis warmer than it really is. Furnace doesn't run as often as us would otherwise.
    cci1492
    cci1492

Post by cci1492 Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:33 pm

Yup, during the hottest days last summer I actually switch back to SS for a few weeks.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:34 am

The heat don't bother me none. No air, but I do have the amp about five feet off the floor with a ceiling fan over it, and the windows open on two sides from the top and an open arch behind me to vent it out.

Truth be told, I think my McIntosh MC2205 puts out almost as much heat anyway.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:34 pm

My s/s Bedini runs lukewarm to the touch during class A/B operation, but I attribute this to heat sinks the size of Volkswagens. It weighs more than a pair of M-125s with all their iron. So the net heat generated is about the same for either type device. It's just spread out more.
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:32 pm

cci1492 wrote:Yup, during the hottest days last summer I actually switch back to SS for a few weeks.

I turn on the AC
    cci1492
    cci1492

Post by cci1492 Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:44 pm

Summer in Sweden must be nice. sunny
    Dogstar

Post by Dogstar Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:11 pm

cci1492 wrote:Summer in Sweden must be nice. sunny

Definitely better than Springtime in Bagdhad.
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:05 am

Dogstar wrote:
    cci1492 wrote:Summer in Sweden must be nice. sunny

Definitely better than Springtime in Bagdhad.

The worst weather in the world is in Dubai - 40C is normal, 44C not uncommon, and RH of 85+% is equally common.

We spent 2.5 years in Saudi, in the Eastern Province - daytime temperatures of 40C (in the summer) were common, and being right on the gulf, humidity was out-of-sight.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 pm