The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

Dyna PAS 3

Mark Korda

Dyna PAS 3

Post by Mark Korda on Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:53 pm

Hi,
    a friend of mine modded my Dyna PAS3 a while back. He took out the tone controls, the loudness and filter(scratch) switches. It does sound great. Looking at the diagram in the manual it looks like I could also remove the Tape/ Input switch and the 6 position spatial switch with the snips of the connecting wires. I really don't use those at all and was wondering if anyone else has done this to minimalize the complete circuit.
    Do you think it would be safe to eliminate these 2 things?....Thanks Mark Korda
    peterh

Re: Dyna PAS 3

Post by peterh on Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:18 pm

Does the PAS sound more natural ( or less ) after the surgery ?

PeterCapo

Post by PeterCapo on Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:47 am

Mark Korda wrote:Hi,
    a friend of mine modded my Dyna PAS3 a while back. He took out the tone controls, the loudness and filter(scratch) switches. It does sound great. Looking at the diagram in the manual it looks like I could also remove the Tape/ Input switch and the 6 position spatial switch with the snips of the connecting wires. I really don't use those at all and was wondering if anyone else has done this to minimalize the complete circuit.
     Do you think it would be safe to eliminate these 2 things?....Thanks Mark Korda

I had a non-working PAS where the previous owner had already eliminated some of the original parts. It was good candidate for a rebuild. When I finished, the only remaining front panel functions were the power switch, the selector switch and the volume control. Yes, you can remove the tape monitor switch and the blend switch, but, like removing the tone controls, it needs to be done right.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. on Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:18 am

The PAS 3 X (emphasis on the X) version would benefit from a more rugged power-supply and careful recapping. The tone-controls are already out-of-circuit when centered.

I find the blend control useful.
    I find the extra positions on the selector switch useful (a second phono-input, for instance, with only minor tweaking of the Tape Head input).

So, upgrade the power-supply, clean the switches thoroughly. Match the caps channel-to-channel and use good-quality caps (no need for boutique stuff) and you will be fine.

The Non-X versions are a different story. Either seriously upgrade the pots, or cut them out of the circuit if that is what you feel you need. There used to be a gentleman out there that did an X-pot mod for installation in pre-X devices - I have not seen him around for a while. But that would be the better option if available.

Mark Korda

Post by Mark Korda on Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:00 pm

Hi to Peter, Pete, and Pierre,
    thanks for the comments and ideas. Peter from Sweden, my PAS came out of dormancy after with a less is more thinking I adopted when cd players came out I made my own passive. After years of changing preamps in and out I think the stripped down PAS wins. A cd of Sammy Davis live at the Coconut Grove is my best sounding cd, a test cd. 1963. The PAS reveils Sammy hocking up crap out of his throat before an explosive performance. I never heard that with the passive,Dynaco 35 powering. I think Sammy tried putting his hand over the mike, you can tell.
    Peter Capo I looked into the mod I was going to try and it is more involving than just clipping out the wires. After I heard from Peter W I think I will leave well enough alone. My switches are not in the PAS anymore. I made my own custom faceplate using the brass PAS 2 plate. The only picture I have is where it's in the middle of my rack 3 years ago......let me try for a picture and thanks Triple Petes....Mark.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:49 pm