The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+3
deepee99
Dogstar
boeingpilot
7 posters

Anyone running Klipschorns?

boeingpilot

Anyone running Klipschorns? Empty Anyone running Klipschorns?

Post by boeingpilot Wed May 03, 2017 11:27 pm

Ok, since resurrecting two ST-70's a couple of years ago, both have been enjoyed with a pair of Klipsch Heresys (I have two identical systems). Knowing that speakers seem to be more of a matter of opinion than amps even, was wondering is anyone using the ST70 or ST120 with Klipschorns? If so.. any one in PA or on the road between PA and New York that would let a neophyte have a listen?

The Klipschorn has always been intriguing to read about, but I'd really love to hear what they sound like. Getting ready to build a new house, and wondering if I should plan a pair for the media / theater room?
    Dogstar

Anyone running Klipschorns? Empty Re: Anyone running Klipschorns?

Post by Dogstar Thu May 04, 2017 1:34 am

About three years ago I was in the market for Heresy's and considered buying a pair of Bob Crites' kits based on Klipsche speakers because I couldn't justify having a huge speaker in the room I would put them in. I ended up buying a pair of speakers that use Klipsche drivers in a tower with the same width and depth as Heresy's. At first I was disappointed but when they became broken in the sound was incredible. If I had the room I'd look into Klipschorns. Perhaps someone at Klipsche forum is using a Dynaco amp or a Dynaco base amp such as the VTA amps.

Sorry I can't offer anything more.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Thu May 04, 2017 11:02 am

Boeingpilot,
    Speakerlab used to offer the corner-horn in kit form. I heard them in Seattle. Downside is, you've got to be about 30 feet away to get the full low-octave capability out of them. Upside is you could drive them with the output from a crystal set. There are enough ported designs using passive drivers now that you can get 90 dB or better efficiency without having to knock out the walls or design a room around them.
    boeingpilot

Post by boeingpilot Thu May 04, 2017 12:15 pm

The point is they are 'legendary', and I'd  really like an opportunity to hear a set hooked to a Dynaco amp.

Not saying there are no better speakers. For example, cruising the forums, some hate the Hereseys, some love them. When I purchased my first set, found I liked them.

I also have to say that there is something (to me) about vintage design (Klipsch Heritage, Dynaco) and built in America that I truly am intrigued with.

Look, there's probably better amps, preamps and what not than our beloved Dynacos. But, for what I can hear (no golden ears here) and want to spend (both of my ST70s and PAS's were basically given to me) I find them satisfying.

So, back to the question.  Anyone running Klipschorns and any one in the NE that could let me hear them?

Last edited by boeingpilot on Thu May 04, 2017 12:18 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Typos)
    Ernstmach
    Ernstmach

Post by Ernstmach Fri May 05, 2017 10:26 am

An alternative to Crites: ALK:http://www.alkeng.com
    Dale Stevens

Post by Dale Stevens Fri May 05, 2017 3:55 pm

I have the Khorns based on the Speakerlab plans DeePee is referring to; Built late 1970's , these things really rock.
    The VTA ST120 has no trouble pushing these things that will ripple water in a glass!
    Have these on the long wall of my 18 x 28 feet den. I have not listened to other hi end in a very long time so can't
    really give you a compare. If you fly in to MYR give me a call (in the phone book) Dale
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Fri May 05, 2017 4:47 pm

Not to repeat myself again,much less repetitive, but give Tyler Acoustics' Decades or Highlands a swing. Top-end Scandinavian drivers, although he uses some very fine Dayton woofs on his lesser priced models. No flies on them, either, more a braggin' rights thing.
    A bit o' trivia for you. The Beatles' sound system at Shea Stadium for their last US concert was a beefy 800 watts of tube power driving horns. Still couldn't drown out the screaming of the teenie-boppers, but it filled the stadium.
    Other small story I could tell you is that in a stereo shop in Seattle that featured Kornerhorns somebody set up a pair of tiny Little David speaks and at 10 feet away they were indistinguishable bass-wise, same 35-watt KLH amp driving same. I know all the tricks they pull in the show-rooms, but there you have it.

Brap
    Brap

Anyone running Klipschorns? Empty Running Klipschorns

Post by Brap Fri May 26, 2017 12:19 pm

Actually, I did a few years back but since sold my K-horns due to a residential move and no loner had room for those. Too narrow of a basement.  The sound was fantastic and limited to triode mode. In addition, built a 2A3 PP which sounded very smooth with these.  Had the original 1980's crossovers.  Recently sold the Forte's and IMHO, these sound exceptional with Bob's VTA-70 if space is a consideration for you.
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Fri May 26, 2017 1:13 pm

Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Fri May 26, 2017 1:20 pm

"Other" legendary US speakers that are in current production include Maggies. But, despite what Bob suggests, Maggies are power pigs in large rooms - and even the 120 would be hard-pressed. Our main listening area is 17 x 28 x 10 and the big Maggies use every bit of the output from a Harman Kardon Citation 16, at a moderately loud, but hardly oppressive volume.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Fri May 26, 2017 1:31 pm

Dahlquist is still around, only building subwoofs and wall speakers anymore but refurbishing their DQ-10s if you're lucky enough to own a pair.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:07 am