The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Interesting Observation at the Kutztown Radio Show

Peter W.
    Peter W.

Interesting Observation at the Kutztown Radio Show Empty Interesting Observation at the Kutztown Radio Show

Post by Peter W. Sun May 14, 2017 9:12 am

And what to my wondering eyes should appear?

A Dynaco ST70, and a pair of MkIIIs in absolutely pristine condition. But, that was hardly the remarkable aspect.

They were also marked, in addition to the typical Dynaco markings: Hammond Organ Company, Indiana, USA.

There was a heavy expanded-mesh shield tack-welded over the circuit boards - they would have to be removed from below for service - and the boards themselves were deep red phenolic boards not like I have seen before. The circuit looked conventional, however.

I do have pictures, I might try to post later. The prices were beyond my reach by any stretch, all three items would have been well into four figures, more than half-way to five.

But, I did pick up a pair of very clean and working Dynaco (SEAS) A25 speakers for $30, and two rough-but-rebuildable ST120s for $20 (different seller).

Peter Wieck
    Melrose Park, PA
    wildiowa

Interesting Observation at the Kutztown Radio Show Empty Re: Interesting Observation at the Kutztown Radio Show

Post by wildiowa Mon May 15, 2017 8:27 am

Not sure if stock Dynas were used in organs of that era but I would not be at all surprised. I have posted before this is how Sunn amps in the Northwest were started...in like 1965 somebody hooked a Mark III into the preamp section a bass amp and holy crap. Most bass amps of that era were still the low-watt Bassmans etc. and this blew them away. They needed power and if you take apart the early Sunn bass amps you will find a stock Mark III in there. And it didn't hurt that they added some 15" JBL's. Later they just used the Dyna circuit design but the early Sunn bass amps actually had an original Mark III in the head, chassis and all. Wild. So many organ amps of that era are similar, I have several here, usually based around a couple 6L6's. Why I have them, I don't know...except they are kinda cool. I don't know that someone as big as Hammond would use a Dyna and put their name on it??
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Interesting Observation at the Kutztown Radio Show Empty Re: Interesting Observation at the Kutztown Radio Show

Post by Peter W. Mon May 15, 2017 9:52 am

wildiowa wrote:Not sure if stock Dynas were used in organs of that era but I would not be at all surprised. I have posted before this is how Sunn amps in the Northwest were started...in like 1965 somebody hooked a Mark III into the preamp section a bass amp and holy crap. Most bass amps of that era were still the low-watt Bassmans etc. and this blew them away. They needed power and if you take apart the early Sunn bass amps you will find a stock Mark III in there. And it didn't hurt that they added some 15" JBL's. Later they just used the Dyna circuit design but the early Sunn bass amps actually had an original Mark III in the head, chassis and all. Wild. So many organ amps of that era are similar, I have several here, usually based around a couple 6L6's. Why I have them, I don't know...except they are kinda cool. I don't know that someone as big as Hammond would use a Dyna and put their name on it??

They left the Dyna name on it, and put their name on it as well. Apparently, all three of these units were from one (1) organ. It may have been a special installation, it may have been a one-off or demonstrator. But it was unusual enough to note. Now that I think about it, I wonder if they even involved Dyna in the process, or just simply installed these into their organs. Given that they left the Jefferson Street markings intact, it may be just that simple.
    wildiowa

Post by wildiowa Mon May 15, 2017 10:25 am

One final band story. A sadly departed friend built a super Leslie, or FrankenLeslie, dropped a JBL D140 in the bottom and a special JBL driver in the top and drove it with 60 massive tube watts into each speaker using an HK CITATION II!!! Oh my what a rig. With a B-3, just outrageous. Totally over the top. Never heard anything like it.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Mon May 15, 2017 12:24 pm

Peter W. wrote:

A Dynaco ST70, and a pair of MkIIIs in absolutely pristine condition. But, that was hardly the remarkable aspect.

They were also marked, in addition to the typical Dynaco markings: Hammond Organ Company, Indiana, USA.

There was a heavy expanded-mesh shield tack-welded over the circuit boards - they would have to be removed from below for service - and the boards themselves were deep red phenolic boards not like I have seen before. The circuit looked conventional, however.

I had a post on the forum here from May of 2015 about the Hammond version of the Dynaco ST-70 ... See link below ..

Hammond Organ's version of the Dynaco ST-70

Bob
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Mon May 15, 2017 12:33 pm

Bob Latino wrote:
    Peter W. wrote:

I had a post on the forum here from May of 2015 about the Hammond version of the Dynaco ST-70 ... See link below ..

Hammond Organ's version of the Dynaco ST-70

Bob

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6v8xtj8rycdo842/IMG_20170512_111957328%5B1%5D.jpg?dl=0

This is a picture of all three beasts. The "Hammond" markings were on the side not shown.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:40 am