The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+5
sKiZo
corndog71
Bob Latino
Dogstar
boeingpilot
9 posters

Curcio Stereo in Board. (SoB)

boeingpilot

Curcio Stereo in Board. (SoB) Empty Curcio Stereo in Board. (SoB)

Post by boeingpilot Fri May 19, 2017 10:37 pm

Lining up bits for my third ST70 re-commissioning in the last 3 years. 1st was my original one from college. That one has a VTA board, Curcio capacitor board and a Triode Electronics power transformer

Number two has a Chinese PC3 re-pop driver board with 7199s. Bias supply was rebuilt and quad capacitor replaced. Happy with both.

Looking at doing something different with the one I just picked up. Anyone running the Curcios single board PCB? I like that all electronics are in one place and replaces bias, capacitor and driver PCB in one shot. But, wondering how it sounds. Any input appreciated
    Dogstar

Curcio Stereo in Board. (SoB) Empty Re: Curcio Stereo in Board. (SoB)

Post by Dogstar Fri May 19, 2017 11:32 pm

From looking at the Curcio web site and looking at the ST-70 PCB you are talking about it sure looks like the better option would be to go with a Tubes4HiFi VTA ST-70 PCB for a number of reasons. Most notably it's a lot cheaper than the Curacio PCB. Even if you buy the complete kit or the board fully assembled it's a whole lot cheaper. It's also made better. And that being said will probably be less likely fail. I'm sure other members here could probably give you more reasons but those are a few to start.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Sat May 20, 2017 9:44 am

Joe Curcio hasn't posted anything on his own forum in almost two years. His last post was in August of 2015. Check out this post on his own forum from August of 2016 where a potential customer said he tried calling Joe and found out the business number listed on his web site was no longer in service ?

Is Curcio Audio still in business ?

Bob
    boeingpilot

Post by boeingpilot Sat May 20, 2017 10:10 am

I will look at the links. Joe has updated his website and also put a notice up
    That he's in the middle of a move.

When I installed the VTA board in my system with the Curcio capacitor board he was very quick to reply to a request on how to handle. Though I haven't touched base recently, I've always had good response when I've emailed him with questions

Thx

Post by Guest Sat May 20, 2017 10:20 am

Last edited by PeterCapo on Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
    corndog71
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 Sat May 20, 2017 1:40 pm

I've used Curcio's circuits in my first ST70 and a pair of MkIV's and they sounded great. Very competitive with VTA circuits. I appreciate his choice to use 6922/6DJ8 for drivers.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Sat May 20, 2017 2:49 pm

I'd think the lack of a pentode option would limit the power output some?
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Mon May 22, 2017 11:02 am

I have corresponded recently with Joe. He is moving several states away from before, but still 'west', and I can respect why he is suspending parts of his business in the meantime.

When he gets settled, he has agreed to help me with an autobias circuit for my LK150 - which is notorious for *not* holding bias - amongst other issues.

Post by Guest Mon May 22, 2017 4:40 pm

Last edited by PeterCapo on Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Mon May 22, 2017 7:54 pm

I'm pretty sure he is at least ten years older than I am, and I'm 66. That could very well be someone else with a new job at Apple. I thought Joe retired several years ago!

Post by Guest Tue May 23, 2017 2:56 pm

Last edited by PeterCapo on Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
    ericoto

Curcio Stereo in Board. (SoB) Empty Curcio SoB

Post by ericoto Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:49 am

I just read this post, I see it is older, but last fall 2017 I rebuilt a ST70 using Joe Curcio's SoB, He is still in business although he has moved to Washington State, I believe. It was a fun project and the amp sounds great. If you send an email via his website, He'll respond.
    solderblob
    solderblob

Post by solderblob Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:21 pm

boeingpilot wrote:Lining up bits for my third ST70 re-commissioning in the  last 3 years.  1st was my original one from college.  That one has a VTA board, Curcio capacitor board and a Triode Electronics power transformer

Number two has a Chinese PC3 re-pop driver board with 7199s.  Bias supply was rebuilt and quad capacitor replaced.  Happy with both.

Looking at doing something different with the one I just picked up. Anyone running the Curcios single board PCB?  I like that all electronics are in one place and replaces bias, capacitor and driver PCB in one shot.  But, wondering how it sounds. Any input appreciated

How about trying the VTA octal version?  My Mk3s sound great with this mod.

dave

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:19 am