The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

Curcio Stereo in Board. (SoB)

boeingpilot

Curcio Stereo in Board. (SoB)

Post by boeingpilot on Fri May 19, 2017 10:37 pm

Lining up bits for my third ST70 re-commissioning in the last 3 years. 1st was my original one from college. That one has a VTA board, Curcio capacitor board and a Triode Electronics power transformer

Number two has a Chinese PC3 re-pop driver board with 7199s. Bias supply was rebuilt and quad capacitor replaced. Happy with both.

Looking at doing something different with the one I just picked up. Anyone running the Curcios single board PCB? I like that all electronics are in one place and replaces bias, capacitor and driver PCB in one shot. But, wondering how it sounds. Any input appreciated

Dogstar

Re: Curcio Stereo in Board. (SoB)

Post by Dogstar on Fri May 19, 2017 11:32 pm

From looking at the Curcio web site and looking at the ST-70 PCB you are talking about it sure looks like the better option would be to go with a Tubes4HiFi VTA ST-70 PCB for a number of reasons. Most notably it's a lot cheaper than the Curacio PCB. Even if you buy the complete kit or the board fully assembled it's a whole lot cheaper. It's also made better. And that being said will probably be less likely fail. I'm sure other members here could probably give you more reasons but those are a few to start.
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino on Sat May 20, 2017 9:44 am

Joe Curcio hasn't posted anything on his own forum in almost two years. His last post was in August of 2015. Check out this post on his own forum from August of 2016 where a potential customer said he tried calling Joe and found out the business number listed on his web site was no longer in service ?

Is Curcio Audio still in business ?

Bob

boeingpilot

Post by boeingpilot on Sat May 20, 2017 10:10 am

I will look at the links. Joe has updated his website and also put a notice up
    That he's in the middle of a move.

When I installed the VTA board in my system with the Curcio capacitor board he was very quick to reply to a request on how to handle. Though I haven't touched base recently, I've always had good response when I've emailed him with questions

Thx
    PeterCapo

Post by PeterCapo on Sat May 20, 2017 10:20 am

Joe has apparently been in some sort of period of transition.  He seems to have landed another job https://www.linkedin.com/in/joe-curcio-8278305

Joe’s unresponsiveness would be the biggest practical concern to considering using his products at this moment.  But, as boeingpilot pointed out, there is a notice that he is moving and may soon be back in operation: http://www.curcioaudio.com/dynadr_3.htm

Dogstar wrote:From looking at the Curcio web site and looking at the ST-70 PCB you are talking about it sure looks like the better option would be to go with a Tubes4HiFi VTA ST-70 PCB for a number of reasons. Most notably it's a lot cheaper than the Curacio PCB. Even if you buy the complete kit or the board fully assembled it's a whole lot cheaper. It's also made better. And that being said will probably be less likely fail. I'm sure other members here could probably give you more reasons but those are a few to start.

I will beg to differ with the notion that similar products competing with Joe’s are superior in materials quality and hence reliability for the intended application.  I have yet to hear of any valid reason to believe Joe’s products were/are inferior in some way, for the intended application.
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 on Sat May 20, 2017 1:40 pm

I've used Curcio's circuits in my first ST70 and a pair of MkIV's and they sounded great. Very competitive with VTA circuits. I appreciate his choice to use 6922/6DJ8 for drivers.
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo on Sat May 20, 2017 2:49 pm

I'd think the lack of a pentode option would limit the power output some?
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. on Mon May 22, 2017 11:02 am

I have corresponded recently with Joe. He is moving several states away from before, but still 'west', and I can respect why he is suspending parts of his business in the meantime.

When he gets settled, he has agreed to help me with an autobias circuit for my LK150 - which is notorious for *not* holding bias - amongst other issues.
    PeterCapo

Post by PeterCapo on Mon May 22, 2017 4:40 pm

Joe has had a range of interesting products. And, the archives in the Dynaco Doctor forum are excellent. The late, great Bill Thomas used to post a lot over there a few years back, RIP.
    tubes4hifi
    Admin

Post by tubes4hifi on Mon May 22, 2017 7:54 pm

I'm pretty sure he is at least ten years older than I am, and I'm 66. That could very well be someone else with a new job at Apple. I thought Joe retired several years ago!
    PeterCapo

Post by PeterCapo on Tue May 23, 2017 2:56 pm

If you scroll down through the profile on the LinkedIn page, he lists Curcio Audio.  Sure seems like it's him.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:44 pm