The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

Room influence /Dreaded Cube ?

scottlowe76

Room influence /Dreaded Cube ?

Post by scottlowe76 on Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:35 pm

Hi , I am sitting in a room that is 11'8" X 11' 10" X 92" high . One 11'8" wall is only 5' 6" long . So I,m in a box with 3 1/2 walls . I truly need a bit of advise . Had same equipment in bigger room . and yes smaller too. I have to turn the bass all the way down . I once heard of a big bump around 160 cycles that mess's up the mid range due to the cube . standing waves . . . It sounded so much better in the job RV I was in . I need a cheap way to address this. I am sure knocking out the half wall would work . the room would then be aprox 12 X 19 . I have little to offer but kind thx.
    Kentley

Re: Room influence /Dreaded Cube ?

Post by Kentley on Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:11 pm

First, Scott, you should probably relocate this post to the Forum Basket, as this is where only those members interested in photos go, as a rule.

I have a couple of ideas for you, but before I share them, I'd like to know what the floor and walls are made of, and whether this room is furnished at all or empty. Does it double as space for any other purpose?
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. on Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:24 am

I am going to go way out on a limb here as you have not detailed what sort of speakers, nor much of anything else other than room dimensions.

Accordingly, and working mostly in a vacuum (pun intended):

a) Make sure your speakers are hard against a wall, and that the woofer is at least three (3) woofer diameters above the floor and away from any corner.
    b) Locate the speakers at the 1/3 and 1/4 points along the longer wall (4' & 3', which will make them approximately 4' feet apart as your starting point.
    c) From that point, using a rich signal source (full orchestra, if possible) start to move them slightly apart, but maintain the asymmetry, until you are happy with the results.

What this does:
    1.  Maximizes the mid-range/treble (keeping the speakers against the wall).
    2.  Helps break up standing waves.
    3. Minimizes boominess.

Now, if you have planar speakers, this does not work so well. Or any of several tower-types. However, it is a start.

This leads to the story of my AR9 speakers, purchased when I had a 17' x 28' x 9' living room. All good, driven by a 200 wpc/rms amp. Then, I got married and we bought a house with an 11 x 13 x 9 living room. The 9s went. Now, we have a 17 x 28 x 10 library - and I have Maggies! And a very understanding & tolerant wife who works around the speakers.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:27 pm