The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+5
anbitet66
corndog71
jfine
Peter W.
Bob Latino
9 posters

Photobucket now charges for photo hosting

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Photobucket now charges for photo hosting Empty Photobucket now charges for photo hosting

Post by Bob Latino Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:25 am

Many of the older posts that I had and others had on this forum that were hosted on Photobucket now do not work. Photobucket as of June 2017 now is holding those photos for ransom and will not allow them to show up on our site unless the user signs up for their "Plus 500 plan" which costs $399 per year. What Photobucket has not done is shut off (at least as yet) a direct link to the photo. You can still put in the web address of the photo as a link and when you click on the link, the photo will show up.

Fortunately there are many FREE web sites that will host a photo at no charge ... Check out some of these below.

https://postimages.org/

http://imageshack.us/

https://imgbb.com/

Bob

Last edited by Bob Latino on Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Photobucket now charges for photo hosting Empty Re: Photobucket now charges for photo hosting

Post by Peter W. Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:32 am

Bob Latino wrote:Many of the older posts that I had and others had on this forum that were hosted on Photobucket now do not work. Photobucket as of June 2017 now is holding those photos "for ransom" and will not allow them to show up on our site unless the user signs up for their "Plus 500 plan" which costs $399 per year. What Photobucket has not done is shut off (at least as yet) a direct link to the photo. You can still put in the web address of the photo as a link and when you click on the link, the photo will show up.

Fortunately there are many FREE web sites that will host a photo at no charge ... Check out some of these below.

https://postimages.org/

http://imageshack.us/

https://imgbb.com/

Bob

And for those who wish to post larger groups of photos without overloading in-boxes, dropbox.com will host albums and provide 'free' links to same. There are, apparently, limits. I have not  yet reached them, with about 400 pictures stored in a number of folders.

As an example, photos from our recent trip to Cuba:  

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ipgj9gng9rekvyc/AADKRLeTmX340NUFwfVM0y9ba?dl=0
    jfine
    jfine

Photobucket now charges for photo hosting Empty Re: Photobucket now charges for photo hosting

Post by jfine Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:25 am

That's odd, I use Photobucket for ebay listings, and they're still working.

Be that as it may, Photobucket is the slowest, crappiest user interface ever. If my photos do stop showing up, wouldn't lose sleep over it.
    corndog71
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:01 pm

According to their terms of service they still offer free accounts.  Mine still seems to working.  My pics are still showing but then I always use direct links.

Last edited by corndog71 on Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
    jfine
    jfine

Post by jfine Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:05 pm

Bob Latino wrote:Many of the older posts that I had and others had on this forum that were hosted on Photobucket now do not work. Photobucket as of June 2017 now is holding those photos for ransom and will not allow them to show up on our site unless the user signs up for their "Plus 500 plan" which costs $399 per year. What Photobucket has not done is shut off (at least as yet) a direct link to the photo. You can still put in the web address of the photo as a link and when you click on the link, the photo will show up.

Bob, are there any "pay for services" on this "free" forum?
    anbitet66
    anbitet66

Post by anbitet66 Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:27 pm

This is a test for uploading a picture to the forum using the box at the bottom of the page.  I used a photo I have on my hard drive.

Photobucket now charges for photo hosting Img_0410

Either drag the photo, or select them, then just upload them.

Tony
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:17 pm

jfine wrote:

Bob, are there any "pay for services" on this "free" forum?

Not that I know of ? Forumotion (the host for this forum) does not charge Roy or I anything for hosting the forum. They use a few ads on the forum to make some money every time the ad comes up. That is how they get away with giving us a FREE forum.

Bob
    jfine
    jfine

Post by jfine Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:39 pm

Bob Latino wrote:Not that I know of ? Forumotion (the host for this forum) does not charge Roy or I anything for hosting the forum. They use a few ads on the forum to make some money every time the ad comes up. That is how they get away with giving us a FREE forum.

Bob

Hopefully it will stay that way as well, just sayin.

jfine
    jfine

Post by jfine Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:44 pm

Even the image hosting for this site could be temporary...

Photobucket now charges for photo hosting Tp110
    LeGrace
    LeGrace

Post by LeGrace Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:48 pm

Coincidentally just rec'd a letter from my ISP advising they will be dropping their complimentary web hosting service as of Aug 15. So majority of pictures I've posted over the past 17 years are about to go bye bye.

Meanwhile still shopping around for interconnects. Wading through a lot of indecipherable claims.
    Maintarget
    Maintarget

Post by Maintarget Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:06 pm

Hey Jfine Tom Peterson and Gloria's too Proud sponsors of Portland wrestling LOL
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:30 pm

LeGrace wrote:Coincidentally just rec'd a letter from my ISP advising they will be dropping their complimentary web hosting service as of Aug 15. So majority of pictures I've posted over the past 17 years are about to go bye bye.  

Meanwhile still shopping around for interconnects. Wading through a lot of indecipherable claims.

I suggest you start with Switchcraft.com and consider rolling your own. This way, you will have absolute control of the results and may choose at several levels of cost and quality. If you can solder, you can do this.

Enjoy!
    corndog71
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:25 pm

LeGrace wrote:

I recommend low end Kimber interconnects. Tonik, Timbre, PBJ.
    jfine
    jfine

Post by jfine Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:29 am

jfine wrote:That's odd, I use Photobucket for ebay listings, and they're still working.

Yep mine are gone now as well. I think they made a huge mistake.
    corndog71
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:56 pm

Now I see it on other forums. That sucks since I've been using it for the last 8 years. I guess I'll have to look elsewhere.

arledgsc
    arledgsc

Post by arledgsc Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:26 am

Photobucket's online interface is (was) so jammed with ads that is almost unusable for the first 5-minutes after opening.  I would like to find something else as well.
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:34 am

arledgsc wrote:Photobucket's online interface is (was) so jammed with ads that is almost unusable for the first 5-minutes after opening.  I would like to find something else as well.

I repeat: Dropbox does not charge, and will link (not upload directly) to anything from 1 - 100+ pictures. I find it useful to send large numbers of pictures without jamming limited-capacity in-boxes.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iex2446d5c5vc4n/AADK0w9F0vf_8TA5Xl2oVg-8a?dl=0
    Dogstar

Post by Dogstar Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:18 pm

anbitet66 wrote:This is a test for uploading a picture to the forum using the box at the bottom of the page.  I used a photo I have on my hard drive.

Photobucket now charges for photo hosting Img_0410

Either drag the photo, or select them, then just upload them.

Tony

The price we pay for free photo hosting web sites is obviously an obsession with cats....as it is everywhere on the Interweb.

I've been using Flickr for years for no charge?
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:32 am

Dogs have owners.

Cats have staff.
    arledgsc
    arledgsc

Post by arledgsc Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:59 am

All my Photobucket pictures on forums went away a few days ago.  Yes, inserting photos directly does work OK.   In the editor click "Host an image" instead of "Image insert" where you normally entered Photobucket or other hosting site links.  "Host an image" is one button left of "Image insert".  

"Host an image" pops up another window.  Select photos or drag to the top.  Press the"upload" button to move the image files to www.servimg.com.

Photobucket now charges for photo hosting Image110

After uploading insert the image into the editor.  This is the middle "dialog" icon shown.  This will be shown as text in the editor... {url = https://servimg.com/view/2399093.....}

Photobucket now charges for photo hosting Image210
    corndog71
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:18 am

testing

Photobucket now charges for photo hosting Img_7710

Well, that worked however it seems if I want to maintain my own pictures I need to create an account with them. Who knows who has control over my pic above?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:51 am