The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

Simultaneous Speaker/Headphone listening.

Kentley

Simultaneous Speaker/Headphone listening.

Post by Kentley on Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:57 pm

This is not original. And in order for it to be effective, it's apparent that one must have three things: a set of open-backed headphones, like the Sennheiser 650s I use combined with a superb HP amp like the one Roy built for me, a smallish listening environment so that the delay factor between the sound sources is minimal, and a nicely-balanced overall system. Adjusting the balance is remarkably simple - each sound source at the level one might enjoy separately. Amazing results ensue. Depth and clarity - a lessening of the head-movement effect, and a gripping soundstage unlike any I've heard before.
    Try it. You'll like it.
    Kentley

Re: Simultaneous Speaker/Headphone listening.

Post by Kentley on Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:45 pm

It may seem nitpicky to be concerned about the delay factor incurred by a 7 foot difference between sounds from the speakers versus the relatively proximate headphones - it works out to about 1.5 milliseconds - until one considers that the human brain uses the time delay between sound reaching each ear to effectively locate sound. Look it up on Wiki - it's called Interaural Time Difference. I have specifically deadened my room ambience so that I receive as little reflected sound as possible (and I know that generally this is frowned upon). My ears are finely tuned. I can hear a Doppler Effect when I turn my head rapidly from side to side. Oh the Pain!
    So - the Big Question is: Is there a simple way to delay the signal through the headphone amp by 1.5 milliseconds? Since the speed of sound in air is so much slower than the speed of light - or electrons through a conductor - the addition of miles of conductor before the HP amp is out of the question. Anyone?

Current date/time is Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:40 pm