The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+3
arledgsc
Peter W.
GP49
7 posters

Roll Your Own Capacitors

GP49

Roll Your Own Capacitors Empty Roll Your Own Capacitors

Post by GP49 Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:23 pm

From Popular Electronics, over 61 years ago:

Roll Your Own Capacitors J4wkds0h

Roll Your Own Capacitors RMTtG1Sh
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Roll Your Own Capacitors Empty Re: Roll Your Own Capacitors

Post by Peter W. Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:58 am

http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/hygiene/emergencies/fs3_4.pdf

It is also possible to make a DIY toilet.

Both skills are handy to know and have. Especially for the "whys" that go into them. I find that hand-on experiences are far better at conveying what the theory implies than any other method.

At which point I will stop for fear of making a political remark.
    arledgsc
    arledgsc

Post by arledgsc Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:15 am

That's all a cap is - two plates separated by a dielectric. Good learning experience but would be nervous with 400V across something I rolled up. Think I will stick with store bought caps.
    buchela

Post by buchela Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:07 am

"It is also possible to make a DIY toilet".

I'm not sure about that one.
    Back in the day in my more creative days. I tried to make one anatomically correct that worked, and for a moment I thought I had it.  Oh was I wrong !!! The whole darn thing collapsed in the middle of a " download" !!!

Last edited by buchela on Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : paragraph spacing)
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:20 pm

I was kinda-sorta going in that direction when I saw the part about dipping the whole shebang in paraffin at the end of the process. Paraffin does absorb small amounts (very small, but significant) of moisture, and that property is one of the contributing reasons to why vintage paper/wax capacitors fail.

What is surprising is that this property was observed in the 1930s with vintage paraffin-dipped radio coils failing in large quantities, but manufacturers still went ahead and used it into the 1950s. Cheap.

Note that as an insulator, paraffin is almost as good as Mylar - until it isn't.

I remember in my High School science class taught by a first-class curmudgeon and eccentric, we made gunpowder the old-fashioned way that included saving our urine for the nitrates (Civil war style), rendering oak for charcoal, but using sulphur from the lab. We also made Nitrogen TriIodide (AKA Contact Explosive), gun cotton (cellulose + Nitric Acid + hydrochloric acid) and all sorts of other 'stuff'. His theory was "in the case of all hell breaking loose, these things are good to know."
    Dogstar

Post by Dogstar Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:45 pm

Peter W. wrote:I remember in my High School science class taught by a first-class curmudgeon and eccentric, we made gunpowder the old-fashioned way that included saving our urine for the nitrates (Civil war style), rendering oak for charcoal, but using sulphur from the lab. We also made Nitrogen TriIodide (AKA Contact Explosive), gun cotton (cellulose + Nitric Acid + hydrochloric acid) and all sorts of other 'stuff'. His theory was "in the case of all hell breaking loose, these things are good to know."

I'm still stocking up on factory ammo.
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:49 pm

I was reading a few months ago about the virtues of wire wound resistors, and how some in the DIY audiophile community are winding their own at home. Sounds a bit tedious to me, but, hey, maybe we could have an Uber DIY challenge. I'd be willing to kick in to a pot that would be claimed by the forum member who makes the most DIY of diy VTA ST XXX amps. Roll your own caps, resistors, trannies anyone?
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:12 pm

Tube Nube wrote:I was reading a few months ago about the virtues of wire wound resistors, and how some in the DIY audiophile community are winding their own at home. Sounds a bit tedious to me, but, hey, maybe we could have an Uber DIY challenge. I'd be willing to kick in to a pot that would be claimed by the forum member who makes the most DIY of diy VTA ST XXX amps. Roll your own caps, resistors, trannies anyone?

Wire-wound resistors are also pretty effective as inductors. Of course, it would depend on the conditions and locations involved. But I would be wary of certain applications and locations.
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:30 pm

You're in luck, Pete, here's a link that teaches you how to roll 'em so they don't "react".
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:03 pm

Tube Nube wrote:You're in luck, Pete, here's a link that teaches you how to roll 'em so they don't "react".
    Noob, no link. Could you re-post?
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:12 pm

deepee99 wrote:
    Tube Nube wrote:You're in luck, Pete, here's a link that teaches you how to roll 'em so they don't "react".
    Noob, no link. Could you re-post?

Sorry, Dave,

Let's try again:

http://www.resistorguide.com/wirewound-resistor/

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:05 am