The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

VTA ST-120 Alternative Transformers

Dogstar

VTA ST-120 Alternative Transformers Empty VTA ST-120 Alternative Transformers

Post by Dogstar Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:48 am

As a few may remember a month ago or so a few forum members were good enough to try out a 12AU7 to 6SN7 adapter that let me try out the octal tube in my VTA ST-120. After the test it was suggested that I should just replace the noval board altogether which I'm currently contemplating. If I do that it leaves me with a 'classic' board.

Since I'm currently building a Tubelab SSE amp and I've already built a Glassware tube buffer I have quite a few leftover parts and I've now considered building a new amp with the old board. I hoped that Bob would sell me a set of transformers that would allow me to do that but he said all of the transformers he gets go only to kits he sells. And that's fine. I can understand not wanting to go into selling only components.

Can anyone tell which Edcor USA transformers would be OK to use as an alternate? I don't think I've seen the specs for the VTA ST-120 transformers and I'm not an electronics expert so I'm hoping that someone that is can tell me.

Thanks in advance,

Dogstar
    peterh
    peterh

VTA ST-120 Alternative Transformers Empty Re: VTA ST-120 Alternative Transformers

Post by peterh Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:23 am

Dogstar wrote:As a few may remember a month ago or so a few forum members were good enough to try out a 12AU7 to 6SN7 adapter that let me try out the octal tube in my VTA ST-120. After the test it was suggested that I should just replace the noval board altogether which I'm currently contemplating. If I do that it leaves me with a 'classic' board.

Since I'm currently building a Tubelab SSE amp and I've already built a Glassware tube buffer I have quite a few leftover parts and I've now considered building a new amp with the old board. I hoped that Bob would sell me a set of transformers that would allow me to do that but he said all of the transformers he gets go only to kits he sells. And that's fine. I can understand not wanting to go into selling only components.

Can anyone tell which Edcor USA transformers would be OK to use as an alternate? I don't think I've seen the specs for the VTA ST-120 transformers and I'm not an electronics expert so I'm hoping that someone that is can tell me.

Thanks in advance,

Dogstar

A431 from dynakitparts would be a good substitute
    http://www.dynakitparts.com/dynakit-products/transformers/A-431-transformer
    deepee99
    deepee99

VTA ST-120 Alternative Transformers Empty Re: VTA ST-120 Alternative Transformers

Post by deepee99 Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:34 pm

Consider also the hand-wound Polish toroidals. Very good workmanship and performance. I use them in my own gear.
    https://sklep.toroidy.pl/en_US/c/Toroidal-transformers-AUDIO-GRADE/75
    BTW, 1 Polish Zloty converts to $0.28 U$D.
    Dogstar

Post by Dogstar Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:18 pm

Thanks but I want to stick with Edcor USA.
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:42 am

Dogstar wrote:Thanks but I want to stick with Edcor USA.

I suggest you pick up the phone and give them (Edcor) a call. Most companies of this nature would prefer to have satisfied customers who will refer them to others. And so, they will spend some time to be sure of what you think you want, what you may expect, and what they have to offer along those lines.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:53 am