The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Mechanical hum: power transformer

2turbos

mechanical hum - Mechanical hum: power transformer Empty Mechanical hum: power transformer

Post by 2turbos Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:55 pm

I have a hum problem with my Stereo 70. It's mechanical, no detectable  hum in the signal on the outputs.

I assume it has to do with the way the transformer mounts to the chassis. If I put a heavy weight on it then the buzz stops.

Any way to isolate the transformer mechanically?

Last edited by 2turbos on Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

mechanical hum - Mechanical hum: power transformer Empty Re: Mechanical hum: power transformer

Post by Bob Latino Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:51 pm

2turbos wrote:I have a hum problem with my Stereo 70. It's mechanical, no detectable  hum in the signal on the outputs.

I assume it has to do with the way the transformer mounts to the chassis. If I put a heavy weight on it then the buzz stops.

Get FOUR 00 (double zero) flat neoprene plumbing washers and place them between the transformer and the top of the chassis. These will absorb most of the mechanical vibrations of the power transformer. Don't overtighten on top of these washers or you will flatten them out and they will loose their ability to absorb the vibrations.

All VTA amps have "isolation washers" between the power transformers and the chassis.

Bob
    2turbos

mechanical hum - Mechanical hum: power transformer Empty Re: Mechanical hum: power transformer

Post by 2turbos Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:07 pm

Bob Latino wrote:
    2turbos wrote:I have a hum problem with my Stereo 70. It's mechanical, no detectable  hum in the signal on the outputs.

Get FOUR 00 (double zero) flat neoprene plumbing washers and place them between the transformer and the top of the chassis. These will absorb most of the mechanical vibrations of the power transformer. Don't overtighten on top of these washers or you will flatten them out and they will loose their ability to absorb the vibrations.

All VTA amps have "isolation washers" between the power transformers and the chassis.

Bob

Thanks Bob. I was thinking along those same lines but wanted to check with forum members to see what they had done.
    Sounds like this problem already has a solution.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:51 pm