The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Opinions needed on SAM turntables

cci1492
    cci1492

Opinions needed on SAM turntables Empty Opinions needed on SAM turntables

Post by cci1492 Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:27 am

Anyone here have one of these? I'm going to need a new TT within a year or so and I'm starting to do my research now. I stumbled across this manufacturer from Croatia, there aren't many reviews available that I can find. Here's their website, they sell on ebay and audiogon http://www.sam-audio.biz/
    I was thinking of the ALDEBARAN model or the Reference. Before finding these, I was thinking of one of Kevin's offerings, like this one https://www.upscaleaudio.com/collections/vpi/products/vpi-super-prime-scout
    with the VTA on the fly feature. The SAMs are kind of ugly looking (very industrial like), but I'm looking for something that will sound good not so much looks. Anyway, I value the opinions here, and thank you in advance! Cheers!

Claude
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Opinions needed on SAM turntables Empty Re: Opinions needed on SAM turntables

Post by Peter W. Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:47 pm

Snark Warning!

The primary purpose of a turntable is to protect the vinyl. After which its purpose is to spin at the correct speed with a minimum of rumble and a minimum of transmitted noise from 'outside'. The rest of its functions devolve to the arm. And its sonic qualities devolve to the cartridge.

For any number of reasons, a linear arm is better than a tangental pivot-arm if properly managed. If you are contemplating spending four figures for a new TT, I strongly suggest you look into *the* proper turntable, and *the* proper arm and meld them together.

http://clearaudio.de/de/products/tonearms-tt3.php

https://www.thorens.com/en/td-907-en.html

These are only points of departure. But you will wind up with a product that is likely superior to any 'complete' package.

Writing for myself, I maintain and operate two vintage linear TTs, one a Rabco ST7, the other a Revox B791. Both perform as well as the vinyl they play, and do protect the vinyl itself. After which, the rest is more-or-less eyewash. Were I to hit the lottery at such a level as to make serious re-investment in Vinyl a consideration, I would go Thorens/Souther/Ortophon instantly. Others would choose differently.
    cci1492
    cci1492

Post by cci1492 Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:19 pm

Thanks Peter, the linear tracking turntables have prices that are insane and not the crazy Eddy type. I remember when they had started to become popular in the 80's. I didn't like how you had to buy the p-type cartridges for them, the selection was always slim. I'll look into them though but I doubt I'll find something in my price range ($2800 the most..and that's stretching it). Buying an arm then a plinth with a platter etc is more than I want to do to spin vinyl.
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:39 pm

cci1492 wrote:Thanks Peter, the linear tracking turntables have prices that are insane and not the crazy Eddy type. I remember when they had started to become popular in the 80's. I didn't like how you had to buy the p-type cartridges for them, the selection was always slim. I'll look into them though but I doubt I'll find something in my price range ($2800 the most..and that's stretching it). Buying an arm then a plinth with a platter etc is more than I want to do to spin vinyl.

Agreed, for the most part. I would not own a TT that required a proprietary or p-mount cartridge. The Revox and Rabco devices were somewhat fussy to set up, but I have been spinning the latter since 1982, and the former since 1992. If you are into vintage equipment, you might consider that route. But, Thorens for sure, should be on your list. And, if you are hunting for a good arm, you might also consider an SME. Many iterations and options.
    cci1492
    cci1492

Post by cci1492 Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:25 pm

jimmeq
    jimmeq

Post by jimmeq Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:16 pm

While I don't have an opinion on SAM TT except that servicing would probably be difficult at best.

I'm a fan of linear tracking TT as well. I do not listen to a lot of vinyl so my old Technics SL-J3 linear 'table worked for me. Yes, I jokingly referred to it as my Close-N-Play because the tonearm is fixed to the cover. It finally gave up the ghost; so I went to ebay and won the bid on a vintage Empire 398 TT. I lost an ebay bid on a Mitsubishi LT-22 and I've also seen a Revox B790, B&O Beogram 5005 and Harmon-Kardon ST-7* linear TT for auction.

In the sub $1000. TT market I don't think the build and materials quality can match vintage TT's. That said I have no idea of how vintage TT stand up to the latest technology.

I'll buy vintage before new for turntables.

* Owned one decades ago...loved it!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:05 pm