The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Tip for neatly drilling round holes into thin gauge metal

Roy
    Roy

Tip for neatly drilling round holes into thin gauge metal  Empty Tip for neatly drilling round holes into thin gauge metal

Post by Roy Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:52 am

Working on our little boat this trick did wonders and I imagine it is a useful tip
    for those working on the various amps here too
    gktamps
    gktamps

Tip for neatly drilling round holes into thin gauge metal  Empty Re: Tip for neatly drilling round holes into thin gauge metal

Post by gktamps Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:55 pm

That works particularly well with stainless steel, as you no doubt found, Roy. I had to cut, machine and drill lots of SS back in my boat working days.

Step drills also do a very good job at making nice round holes, and work well with stainless steel, mild steel, aluminum, etc.

Cheers,

Greg
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Tip for neatly drilling round holes into thin gauge metal  Empty Re: Tip for neatly drilling round holes into thin gauge metal

Post by sKiZo Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:36 pm

Something else that helps keep a clean burr free hole is to use a piece of scrap metal as a backing plate when drilling.
    CletusB
    CletusB

Post by CletusB Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:14 pm

Nice tip!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:05 am