The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+12
Kentley
Peter W.
peterh
crkohut
jfine
deepee99
Roy
CletusB
Dave_in_Va
sKiZo
arledgsc
wildiowa
16 posters

My VTA ST-120 is on the way .....and other loose ramblings of an old fart

CletusB
    CletusB

My VTA ST-120 is on the way  .....and other loose ramblings of an old fart - Page 8 Empty Re: My VTA ST-120 is on the way .....and other loose ramblings of an old fart

Post by CletusB Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:47 am

Seems really stupid, but it worked:   Shocked
    My old "Eagles Greatest Hits Vol 2" CD is all scratched up and the rip would not convert to flac with EAC, just too many errors. I tried washing, cleaning with Windex etc. ...nothing worked.
    Last night, for a final try, I wiped on some Deoxit D5 and stuck the CD into the PC and voila good rip to flac and of course it sounds great!   Rolling Eyes
    Roy
    Roy

My VTA ST-120 is on the way  .....and other loose ramblings of an old fart - Page 8 Empty Re: My VTA ST-120 is on the way .....and other loose ramblings of an old fart

Post by Roy Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:13 am

hehe yeah sometimes that works - basically the scratches n sort of oxidized plastic presents too many facetted surfaces for the laser to plow on through - fill that in temporarily with something translucent and voila.. Gotta mind the stuff being slung around inside your disc drive though ^^
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:06 am

At the present moment, I have *in operation* seven (7) sets of speakers. The oldest are a pair of crossover modified AR3as, the newest ARM5s. And a pair of Magnepan MGIIIas. Were I to be forced to pick one (1) pair, it would be the Maggies. And despite their awkward size and placement requirements, that would also be my wife's choice.

Before you think 7 pairs is ridiculous, there are three in the radio room, and two at the summer house, one serving the DVD system - no cable or OTA up there, and a mountain between us and the satellite - all good things.

Note:

Maggies do not like direct sunlight or extremes in heat and humidity.
    Roy
    Roy

Post by Roy Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:17 am

<3 Magnepans Peter - almost bought a pair in '92 but my appartment at the time the direct sunlight thing was an issue indeed - only spot that had enough space for em was right by the balcony and windows.. Think the sunlight thing was not so much an issue for the membrane etc used but possible warping of the frame?
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:32 am

Roy wrote:<3 Magnepans Peter - almost bought a pair in '92 but my appartment at the time the direct sunlight thing was an issue indeed - only spot that had enough space for em was right by the balcony and windows..   Think the sunlight thing was not so much an issue for the membrane etc used but possible warping of the frame?

The glues in early Maggies would oxidize/separate from the copper coils when in direct and warm sunlight. Less so now, but mine are classified as "early" by that standard. Note that grille cloth porosity is defined as being able to read a newspaper headline through it when held at arm's length. So not much of a barrier to sunlight.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:10 am

Peter W. wrote:
    Roy wrote:<3 Magnepans Peter - almost bought a pair in '92 but my appartment at the time the direct sunlight thing was an issue indeed - only spot that had enough space for em was right by the balcony and windows..   Think the sunlight thing was not so much an issue for the membrane etc used but possible warping of the frame?

The glues in early Maggies would oxidize/separate from the copper coils when in direct and warm sunlight. Less so now, but mine are classified as "early" by that standard. Note that grille cloth porosity is defined as being able to read a newspaper headline through it when held at arm's length. So not much of a barrier to sunlight.  
    My old Maggie IIs were the same way. I was too lazy to re-wrap them so just hooked up a pair of Heils in the system to compensate for the upper end. I think that poor amplifier was looking at about a 1-ohm load.
    Roy
    Roy

Post by Roy Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:37 am

lol yeah I got the amps I got now to keep my options open in this regard - it can handle 1 ohm no problem.. Was actually designed to deal with electrostats and the like - Van Medevoort CA and PA 220
    damping factor in the thousands too but you'd need some short cables to get that on the other end ^^

but I think we are hijacking Cletus' build thread Very Happy
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:39 am

Roy wrote:lol yeah    I got the amps I got now to keep my options open in this regard - it can handle 1 ohm no problem..  Was actually designed to deal with electrostats and the like - Van Medevoort CA and PA 220
    damping factor in the thousands too but  you'd need some short cables to get that on the other end ^^

but I think we are hijacking Cletus' build thread  Very Happy
    Not an infrequent occurrence here Smile
    CletusB
    CletusB

Post by CletusB Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:49 am

I just received the Allo Boss and hooked it up.  Just one word  .....WOW! What a Face
    Will pretty it up when the case arrives tomorrow.

My VTA ST-120 is on the way  .....and other loose ramblings of an old fart - Page 8 P1070729

Last edited by CletusB on Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:50 am

CletusB wrote:I just received the Allo Boss and hooked it up.  Just one word  .....WOW! What a Face
    Any relation to Hugo Boss?
    Roy
    Roy

Post by Roy Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:09 pm

Glad you like it Cletus =]
    It's got some upmf doesnt it

https://www.allo.com/sparky/boss-dac.html the colors of the pcb does remind me of the hugo boss designed uniforms from that thing last century in a way deepee =} but its a very nicely designed DAC for use with the Raspberry Pi.
    I got one too and it is darn good value for money
    Roy
    Roy

Post by Roy Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:11 pm

what are those cinch connectors btw? look nice
    CletusB
    CletusB

Post by CletusB Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:13 pm

Roy wrote:Glad you like it Cletus =]
    It's got some upmf doesnt it

https://www.allo.com/sparky/boss-dac.html the colors of the pcb does remind me of the hugo boss designed uniforms from that thing last century in a way deepee =} but  its a very nicely designed DAC for use with the Raspberry Pi.
    I got one too and it is darn good value for money

Very Impressed indeed! ....Great value!
    Powering both units with one 5V 2A switch-mode supply at the Pi without any issues.
    Roy
    Roy

Post by Roy Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:19 pm

if you are going to try it with movies and such - dig into the menu and be sure to set audio to best match it wont down or upsample then
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:28 pm

To continue the thread drift hi-jack, I've got a Topping D20 DAC I'm not using. Cute little thing, and it works quite well. Can't locate the power supply (15VDC) but for postage and COVC (say, $10), it's yours.
    -d-
    Roy
    Roy

Post by Roy Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:33 pm

might be interested D ! ^^ lemme dig into the Pile for a psu.. get back to you
    our tv has no cinch outputs - got too many game consoles hooked up and the tv speakers are just meh.. this D20 has spdif inputs by the looks of it so daddy can hear the baddies go splat and gurgle using this!
    CletusB
    CletusB

Post by CletusB Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:35 pm

deepee99 wrote:To continue the thread drift hi-jack, I've got a Topping D20 DAC I'm not using. Cute little thing, and it works quite well. Can't locate the power supply (15VDC) but for postage and COVC (say, $10), it's yours.
    -d-
    Appreciate the offer but think I'm good for now thanks.
    Roy
    Roy

Post by Roy Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:38 pm

sold! - darnit the Kid just wont go to sleep =S time to break out the big guns and sing...!

deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:49 pm

PM me and we'll work out the details. Cheerio, -d-
    Roy
    Roy

Post by Roy Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:19 pm

I think you got the gear for this Cletus not sure but I wonder how the Boss dac actually measures =]
    CletusB
    CletusB

Post by CletusB Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:07 pm

Well, have not even thought of measuring. My setup is sounding so good now, I'm just sll taken-up delighting in it!
    Plus, I've got a whole carload of CDs to rip
    Roy
    Roy

Post by Roy Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:16 pm

good times ^^

I'm just curious - maybe when the sun starts shining here and the temperatures go up and my EE neighbour is hard up for some cold brew will talk him in to hooking things up and satisfy my curiosity on his scopes - and learn something in the process
    CletusB
    CletusB

Post by CletusB Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:03 am

Any recommendations for flac download sites?
    Kentley
    Kentley

Post by Kentley Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:15 am

I am fond of HDtracks. Not only do they have a good selection in many genres, but their customer service is excellent.
    I must say, Mr. Cletus, that this thread has been most entertaining and informative. Love to run into you someday.
    CletusB
    CletusB

Post by CletusB Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:18 am

Kentley wrote:I am fond of HDtracks. Not only do they have a good selection in many genres, but their customer service is excellent.
    I must say, Mr. Cletus, that this thread has been most entertaining and informative. Love to run into you someday.
    Thank you for the "HDtracks" lead and for that fine compliment! Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content