The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

My VTA ST-120 is on the way .....and other loose ramblings of an old fart

deepee99

Re: My VTA ST-120 is on the way .....and other loose ramblings of an old fart

Post by deepee99 on Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:20 pm

Roy wrote:A ways back when the Unifi came out  was not too impressed by it - hence the Kef here now..
    That Q lineup from yesteryear is going   pretty cheap these days - Q500 would be a steal at the prices they've gone at here
    ( I've seen em go for 500 a pair new in the box ) Successor is the Q550   those would have a going price per pair about the same
    as that elac - my bet is the kefs will knock the socks off the elac - especially when the volume goes up a bit those other unifis I heard
    were not pleasing.

and it has that bit of umpf for a larger space
    Investigate Tyler Acoustics in Kentucky as well. Last speaks I'll ever buy, and very ~90 dB efficient. Hand-made to order and worth 4x the retail stuff.
    Oops, forgot you're in Europe. Still, talk to Tyler Lashbrook about shipping. It's free in N. America, maybe he can cut you a deal on the slow boat. Well worth the wait.

Last edited by deepee99 on Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Geography)
    CletusB

Post by CletusB on Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:00 pm

Roy wrote:..and very nice w the grandkid =]  You're going to get it busy lol

They're in the States and I'm here in Trinidad ....will go over n visit soon ...maybe build the ST-120 while I'm over there visiting ...certainly want the grandkid growing up with quality audio around Idea

Both of those speakers deserve at least an audition, before buying anything.
    CletusB

Post by CletusB on Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:06 pm

Oooooooh! The Tyler stuff certainly looks extremely impressive, but way out of his price range at this time.
    Roy

Post by Roy on Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:41 am

They do - the real test is where they are intended to live though eh - and ofcourse the WAF ^^

I bought a pair of B&W Matrix 3's before I met my wife - lovely beasts. Pretty big and not too pretty in her opinion though.. They grated on her - too big! Determine the layout of the livingroom too much! etc.. Over the years I tried some other speakers but they always returned to the livingroom.. Couple of years ago came across a pair of Kef Reference Model Three Two. They had been painted a very nice white by the owner - he ran a car body repair shop so the paint job is top notch though. They came home, are a good head taller than the B&W's and sound fantastic here.
    She was pleased =]
    Húge targets for the little godzilla here though lol.. so every now and then I mentioned maybe we should sell them on, get some smaller speakers with a sub or something - but these days she says no! they are staying! =D

These days Kef offers all white speakers on much of their lineup ^^
    CletusB

Post by CletusB on Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:47 am

Seems really stupid, but it worked:   Shocked
    My old "Eagles Greatest Hits Vol 2" CD is all scratched up and the rip would not convert to flac with EAC, just too many errors. I tried washing, cleaning with Windex etc. ...nothing worked.
    Last night, for a final try, I wiped on some Deoxit D5 and stuck the CD into the PC and voila good rip to flac and of course it sounds great!   Rolling Eyes
    Roy

Post by Roy on Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:13 am

hehe yeah sometimes that works - basically the scratches n sort of oxidized plastic presents too many facetted surfaces for the laser to plow on through - fill that in temporarily with something translucent and voila.. Gotta mind the stuff being slung around inside your disc drive though ^^
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. on Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:06 am

At the present moment, I have *in operation* seven (7) sets of speakers. The oldest are a pair of crossover modified AR3as, the newest ARM5s. And a pair of Magnepan MGIIIas. Were I to be forced to pick one (1) pair, it would be the Maggies. And despite their awkward size and placement requirements, that would also be my wife's choice.

Before you think 7 pairs is ridiculous, there are three in the radio room, and two at the summer house, one serving the DVD system - no cable or OTA up there, and a mountain between us and the satellite - all good things.

Note:

Maggies do not like direct sunlight or extremes in heat and humidity.
    Roy

Post by Roy on Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:17 am

<3 Magnepans Peter - almost bought a pair in '92 but my appartment at the time the direct sunlight thing was an issue indeed - only spot that had enough space for em was right by the balcony and windows.. Think the sunlight thing was not so much an issue for the membrane etc used but possible warping of the frame?
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. on Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:32 am

Roy wrote:<3 Magnepans Peter - almost bought a pair in '92 but my appartment at the time the direct sunlight thing was an issue indeed - only spot that had enough space for em was right by the balcony and windows..   Think the sunlight thing was not so much an issue for the membrane etc used but possible warping of the frame?

The glues in early Maggies would oxidize/separate from the copper coils when in direct and warm sunlight. Less so now, but mine are classified as "early" by that standard. Note that grille cloth porosity is defined as being able to read a newspaper headline through it when held at arm's length. So not much of a barrier to sunlight.
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 on Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:10 am

Peter W. wrote:
    Roy wrote:<3 Magnepans Peter - almost bought a pair in '92 but my appartment at the time the direct sunlight thing was an issue indeed - only spot that had enough space for em was right by the balcony and windows..   Think the sunlight thing was not so much an issue for the membrane etc used but possible warping of the frame?

The glues in early Maggies would oxidize/separate from the copper coils when in direct and warm sunlight. Less so now, but mine are classified as "early" by that standard. Note that grille cloth porosity is defined as being able to read a newspaper headline through it when held at arm's length. So not much of a barrier to sunlight.  
    My old Maggie IIs were the same way. I was too lazy to re-wrap them so just hooked up a pair of Heils in the system to compensate for the upper end. I think that poor amplifier was looking at about a 1-ohm load.
    Roy

Post by Roy on Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:37 am

lol yeah I got the amps I got now to keep my options open in this regard - it can handle 1 ohm no problem.. Was actually designed to deal with electrostats and the like - Van Medevoort CA and PA 220
    damping factor in the thousands too but you'd need some short cables to get that on the other end ^^

but I think we are hijacking Cletus' build thread Very Happy
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 on Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:39 am

Roy wrote:lol yeah    I got the amps I got now to keep my options open in this regard - it can handle 1 ohm no problem..  Was actually designed to deal with electrostats and the like - Van Medevoort CA and PA 220
    damping factor in the thousands too but  you'd need some short cables to get that on the other end ^^

but I think we are hijacking Cletus' build thread  Very Happy
    Not an infrequent occurrence here Smile
    CletusB

Post by CletusB on Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:49 am

I just received the Allo Boss and hooked it up.  Just one word  .....WOW! What a Face
    Will pretty it up when the case arrives tomorrow.

Last edited by CletusB on Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 on Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:50 am

CletusB wrote:I just received the Allo Boss and hooked it up.  Just one word  .....WOW! What a Face
    Any relation to Hugo Boss?
    Roy

Post by Roy on Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:09 pm

Glad you like it Cletus =]
    It's got some upmf doesnt it

https://www.allo.com/sparky/boss-dac.html the colors of the pcb does remind me of the hugo boss designed uniforms from that thing last century in a way deepee =} but its a very nicely designed DAC for use with the Raspberry Pi.
    I got one too and it is darn good value for money
    Roy

Post by Roy on Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:11 pm

what are those cinch connectors btw? look nice
    CletusB

Post by CletusB on Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:13 pm

Roy wrote:Glad you like it Cletus =]
    It's got some upmf doesnt it

https://www.allo.com/sparky/boss-dac.html the colors of the pcb does remind me of the hugo boss designed uniforms from that thing last century in a way deepee =} but  its a very nicely designed DAC for use with the Raspberry Pi.
    I got one too and it is darn good value for money

Very Impressed indeed! ....Great value!
    Powering both units with one 5V 2A switch-mode supply at the Pi without any issues.
    Roy

Post by Roy on Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:19 pm

if you are going to try it with movies and such - dig into the menu and be sure to set audio to best match it wont down or upsample then
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 on Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:28 pm

To continue the thread drift hi-jack, I've got a Topping D20 DAC I'm not using. Cute little thing, and it works quite well. Can't locate the power supply (15VDC) but for postage and COVC (say, $10), it's yours.
    -d-
    Roy

Post by Roy on Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:33 pm

might be interested D ! ^^ lemme dig into the Pile for a psu.. get back to you
    our tv has no cinch outputs - got too many game consoles hooked up and the tv speakers are just meh.. this D20 has spdif inputs by the looks of it so daddy can hear the baddies go splat and gurgle using this!
    CletusB

Post by CletusB on Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:35 pm

deepee99 wrote:To continue the thread drift hi-jack, I've got a Topping D20 DAC I'm not using. Cute little thing, and it works quite well. Can't locate the power supply (15VDC) but for postage and COVC (say, $10), it's yours.
    -d-
    Appreciate the offer but think I'm good for now thanks.
    Roy

Post by Roy on Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:38 pm

sold! - darnit the Kid just wont go to sleep =S time to break out the big guns and sing...!

deepee99

Post by deepee99 on Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:49 pm

PM me and we'll work out the details. Cheerio, -d-
    Roy

Post by Roy on Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:19 pm

I think you got the gear for this Cletus not sure but I wonder how the Boss dac actually measures =]
    CletusB

Post by CletusB on Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:07 pm

Well, have not even thought of measuring. My setup is sounding so good now, I'm just sll taken-up delighting in it!
    Plus, I've got a whole carload of CDs to rip

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:45 am