The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+12
Kentley
Peter W.
peterh
crkohut
jfine
deepee99
Roy
CletusB
Dave_in_Va
sKiZo
arledgsc
wildiowa
16 posters

My VTA ST-120 is on the way .....and other loose ramblings of an old fart

deepee99
    deepee99

My VTA ST-120 is on the way  .....and other loose ramblings of an old fart - Page 11 Empty Re: My VTA ST-120 is on the way .....and other loose ramblings of an old fart

Post by deepee99 Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:20 pm

jfine wrote:
    CletusB wrote:
    Three way crossovers for my VOTTs,  550Hz and 6KHz
    Cheap units made by Audio Pipe. Typical Linkwitz-Riley networks on a decent PCB, which I've had for like 20-years (think they were originally in my lab at the Samsung factory back then, when we played with some home stereo speaker designs) and they've worked well all along, I've tweaked them quite a bit over the years adding L-pads and such. Just thought the caps could do with a change-out about now. Laughing
    The original electrolytics actually still measure decent

My guess is the those larger value electrolytics are likely on the low frequency circuit, maybe zobel like, probably wouldn't hear much diff changing those, tighter would be about it. The yellow mylars OTOH likely are mids and/or highs, probably would affect sonics much more if changed out (mylar in xover always bothered me JBL uses them a lot, I can't unhear them now), but Dayton for those? Not worth it. Mundorf silver/gold/oil or beeswax jupiters, much better. Smile But if it sounds good then why mess with it, and hey what do I know.
    Precisely. If it sounds good, don't mess with it.
    corndog71
    corndog71

My VTA ST-120 is on the way  .....and other loose ramblings of an old fart - Page 11 Empty Re: My VTA ST-120 is on the way .....and other loose ramblings of an old fart

Post by corndog71 Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:46 pm

For what it's worth, I know a speaker designer who modded a pair of cheap bookshelf speakers and made them so that you could switch between the cheap stock crossover and one with better caps, resistors, and air-core chokes. They measured exactly the same but everyone who heard them could hear the difference immediately. Of course the upgraded crossover sounded better.

I also agree that if it aint broke don't "fix" it.
    CletusB
    CletusB

Post by CletusB Tue May 22, 2018 3:58 pm

Have not even looked my bias settings in over a month. Just decided to do a touch up and noticed it has dropped equally on all tubes from 0.550mV to 0.320mV .....decided to just leave it there as it seems to be settling nicely (these are the KT-88s). Readings were taken today at a line voltage of 114vac.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content