The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

Moving to Japan w/SP13 and PH16

msikk

Moving to Japan w/SP13 and PH16

Post by msikk on Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:20 pm

Greetings,

My family and I will be moving to Japan (outside of Tokyo) later this year. Power mains are 100V/50Hz in that area. I plan to buy a step up transformer to increase voltage to 115V (ACUpwr or something similar), but have no way to convert 50hz to 60hz. I have a SP13 and PH16 I'd like to bring with me, but am unsure if the supplied transformers are the 50hz/60z variety or only work with 60hz. I'm not at home (and won't be for two months), so I have no way to go and look or test them anytime soon. If anyone knows off hand that would be great, if not, I'll wait for Roy to return from vacation and ask him. Thanks much,

Matt

GP49

Re: Moving to Japan w/SP13 and PH16

Post by GP49 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:41 am

Get the line voltage difference sorted; the AC line frequency will not be an issue.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. on Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:54 am

GP49 wrote:Get the line voltage difference sorted; the AC line frequency will not be an issue.

Yes.

60hz transformers will operate very slightly less efficiently at 50hz, but not so much as you will notice it in actual operation.
    What you will notice are the green-with-envy looks from visitors.
    Be careful of the Far Eastern cultural peculiarity that if you brag about an item you own based on the admiration of another, you are very nearly obligated to offer said item to that person (no, I am not kidding).

Be modest - it is nothing, nothing at all....
    CletusB

Post by CletusB on Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:19 am

Peter W. wrote:
    GP49 wrote:Get the line voltage difference sorted; the AC line frequency will not be an issue.

Yes.

60hz transformers will operate very slightly less efficiently at 50hz, but not so much as you will notice it in actual operation.
    What you will notice are the green-with-envy looks from visitors.
    Be careful of the Far Eastern cultural peculiarity that if you brag about an item you own based on the admiration of another, you are very nearly obligated to offer said item to that person (no, I am not kidding).

Be modest - it is nothing, nothing at all....
    "This is such an absolutely wonderful amp which I built myself, it has an incredibly low noise floor, etc., etc. and   .....HELL NO! you can't have it!   .....don't let the door hit you on the way out" LOL! Laughing Laughing
    Kentley

Post by Kentley on Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:01 pm

I wonder if this might be a convenient manner with which to dispose of a spousal unit gone sour....hmmm. tongue
    tubes4hifi
    Admin

Post by tubes4hifi on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:00 am

I would say 50 Hz works LESS efficiently than 60Hz, but try it with 120vac in and go to 125v in if need be.
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:28 pm

I thought Japan and most of Asia were on the British 240 VAC setting.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:22 pm