The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

Tube DAC Build

jfine

Tube DAC Build

Post by jfine on Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:21 pm

Hey Bob and Roy,

How about building a DAC, something like the PH16, tubes, likely at least USB in and whatever the latest transport is, RCA outs and for the hardcores XLR maybe.

I think the trick with these is the logic for a computer to recognize it as a sound card, or maybe not. From there you could use files, CD's, whatever. The CHORD Qute2 did this easily, but too much bling and not enough sound, as usual.

I ask because I have tried a few DACS in the 1000-2500 range, and while they sounded better than my $25 woolfson DAC sound card from 2003 (yes it's PCI!), not by much. I think tubes in there somewhere would be the ticket.

Thoughts?
    CletusB

Re: Tube DAC Build

Post by CletusB on Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:50 am

I just love my Raspberry Pi / Allo Boss DAC with 2TB HD.

jfine

Post by jfine on Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:31 am

Yep people sure do love their devices, sadly (or not) I don't own one, I design for them and that's enough for me.

deepee has an expensive tube DAC which I'm sure can give most vinyl playback a run for its money, (mastering aside), but waaaay too much $$$, seems to me guys like Roy and Bob could come up with something that can rival a 5000 unit just like the SP14....
    jfine

Post by jfine on Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:25 pm

I know about the AN kit, this is a great example, but my bet is that if AN charges 2,635.00, it can be done cheaper, AN stuff while good, is normally overpriced?
    bluemeanies

Post by bluemeanies on Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:54 pm

You get what you pay for.
    Also the idea of something being overpriced is relative to the individual IMO.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:03 pm