The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

Tube DAC Build

deepee99

Re: Tube DAC Build

Post by deepee99 on Mon May 21, 2018 8:28 pm

CletusB wrote:Being very happy with my "el-cheapo" system, including my Rpi DAC, I went out and spent a bunch on that Breitling Navitimer I always wanted! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
    Nice watch. I have their Antares World. Beautiful piece of bling but a $75 Seiko will keep better time.
    CletusB

Post by CletusB on Mon May 21, 2018 8:32 pm

deepee99 wrote:
    CletusB wrote:Being very happy with my "el-cheapo" system, including my Rpi DAC, I went out and spent a bunch on that Breitling Navitimer I always wanted! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
    Nice watch. I have their Antares World. Beautiful piece of bling but a $75 Seiko will keep better time.
    Could not resist!   ...always drooled over it! bounce
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. on Tue May 22, 2018 6:51 am

CletusB wrote:
    deepee99 wrote:
    Could not resist!   ...always drooled over it! bounce

Lemme see.....

There are two (2) Clocks in the car.
    There is a clock on my cell.
    There is a clock on the computer.
    There is a clock on the stove, microwave, kitchen wall, DVR, DVD.
    Not to mention the tall-case, coo coo, mantle and school-house pendulum clocks.
    There is a wall-clock in the office.

I am not making a habit of launching satellites or similar.
    There is nothing in my life that being a couple of minutes early (my general habit) will change.
    I am pretty good with time-zones, so I can tell you the time in Moscow or Riyadh if asked.

Wearing a watch is just one more leash to get yanked, a potential source of anxiety, one more thing to maintain, and one more thing to misplace.

My wife, on the other hand, has, perhaps 20 watches, most of the flea-market variety, but a few fine ones. For her, it is an accessory with about the same meaning as a bracelet.
    CletusB

Post by CletusB on Tue May 22, 2018 7:03 am

To each their own I guess     ......Have always been a watch/clock freak!   .....absolutely love the Rolex Daytona and the Breitling Navitimer, my everyday watch is a Citizen Eco-Drive Calibre 2100 Titanium.  Two years ago I designed and built my own GPS Disciplined Atomic Clock (it sits next to my ST-120 amp)   .....and there's a beautiful Kienzle Grandfather Clock (inherited from my parents) that's on the wall in my living room.

Last edited by CletusB on Tue May 22, 2018 7:42 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : ....just some more detail)
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. on Tue May 22, 2018 7:07 am

CletusB wrote:To each their own I guess     ......Have always been a watch/clock freak!   .....absolutely love the Rolex Daytona and the Breitling Navitimer.  Two years ago I designed and built my own GPS Disciplined Atomic Clock (it sits next to my ST-120 amp)

I do like clocks - it could be a true vice were I not disciplined about it. There is something about a mechanical device that does its job.
    CletusB

Post by CletusB on Tue May 22, 2018 7:12 am

Sorry to have strayed off topic guys. Let's not hijack the thread!
    cci1492

Post by cci1492 on Tue May 22, 2018 8:12 am

That's some really valuable information there audiobill, thank you. The Audio Note looks nice, but the price...maybe that's what jfine was referring to. I'd be interested in the $2200 range for that one, but when you talk about the price of something it's a relative thing. Maybe one day Manley will have something in that price range.
    bluemeanies

re: tube for dac build

Post by bluemeanies on Wed May 23, 2018 6:44 am

audiobill wrote:I titled this post Observations rather than Review because it will not follow the usual form of features, bass, mids, treble etc.

After owning many great dacs over the past 5 years, including the DC-1, the PS Audio Perfectwave, the NAD M51, the Grace m920 and the Theta Gen V(a), I have become increasingly aware of the importance of the power supply and analog output stages to the sonic quality of a dac.  And while all these are great sounding dacs, I had a real revelation listening to the Theta, my first multibit dac.  Mike Moffat from Theta also started Schiit who has led the way forward to multibit dacs.

So, knowing that, for me, tubes are just plain better at creating wonderful images and soundstages while sounding impressively musical, I was intrigued by the Audio Note 4.1 LE, which I built from the kit.  While not inexpensive at $3,100 (the assembled version in the UK is 13,000 lbs UK or about $17.000 USD so quite a bargain in kit form) , it includes these goodies:

-Tube rectified and regulated power supply with very substantial transformers

-Multibit AD1865 dac chip - considered among the very best

-No upsampling or oversampling, sidesampling, reconstruction etc etc anywhere - just clean digital to analog conversion

-Transformer coupled I/V and C-Core transformer coupled output

-Tube output stage

I considered the Schiit Yggdrasil, but if you look at the inside pics on their site compared to the Audio Note 4.1 you will feel that you're looking more at a computer than an audio component.  Remember, the power supply and analog output stage are critical to great sound.  Just gaze at the Audio Note transformers and remember this is a dac....not a power amplifier!

www.schiit.com/products/yggdrasil

ankaudiokits.com/Non-Oversampling-Valve-Rectified-Tube-DAC.html

As for the sound, all this attention to design and detail comes through. For example, the bass is so solid that I disconnected my subwoofer, and the harmonics on bass instruments are clear, solid and satisfying.

The clarity, transparency, and overall presence are nothing short of amazing.  I find myself surrounded by the musicians, with no thought of fatigue, irritation or discomfort.  Just the music, and how!

I really don't want to engage in an engineering analysis, and will leave that to others.  You can buy specs on the cheap, but I've learned they don't always translate to the best sonics.

Simply put,  if you can afford and seek this level of sonics and musical satisfaction I know you'd be as overjoyed as I am with this dac.

And that's it!

www.whatsbestforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12666&d=1385227741

Peter, trust me you're suffering from a limited view.  

DILLY, DILLY cheers
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo on Wed May 23, 2018 9:47 am

CletusB wrote:Sorry to have strayed off topic guys. Let's not hijack the thread!

About time! Er ... what was the topic?

Oh, yeah ... Yaris clocks!

bluemeanies

Post by bluemeanies on Thu May 24, 2018 6:59 am

It's seems the thread WAS hi-jacked by a conversation about clocks!
    With that I can only ASSUME when people don't like what they hear/read they change the subject. RUDE! JUST CHANGE THE CHANNEL!
    Here is a website Overstock.com (Watches for Less)for you guys so invested in timepieces and wanting quality for less $$. 
    You guys can sit around a campfire, toast some marshmallows, maybe hots dogs on a stick and discuss developing a thread.
    tubes4hifi
    Admin

Post by tubes4hifi on Thu May 24, 2018 11:50 am

clocks . . . hummm . . . . maybe a link to a different forum . . . .? !!
    on the other hand, I can't give up this clock I bought about 30 years ago . . .  temp, humidity, and barometer, quartz clock
    WHAT ??? oh yeah, someone asked about tube DACs, well, maybe back to that . . . .

CletusB

Post by CletusB on Thu May 24, 2018 11:58 am

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:27 pm