The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+6
sKiZo
Bob Latino
New2Tubez
jasn54
arledgsc
mazeeff
10 posters

VTA ST120 Input Sensitivity

mazeeff

VTA ST120 Input Sensitivity Empty VTA ST120 Input Sensitivity

Post by mazeeff Wed May 16, 2018 3:41 am

Can someone tell me the input sensitivity on the ST120 for full rated output? This would be for the newer "low gain" board. My DAC has the ability to switch between 1 volt and 2 volt outputs, and I get less distortion using the 1 volt output. Just curious how much headroom that I give up by using the lower voltage.
    arledgsc
    arledgsc

VTA ST120 Input Sensitivity Empty Re: VTA ST120 Input Sensitivity

Post by arledgsc Wed May 16, 2018 12:33 pm

The ST120 assembly manual states sensitivity is 0.6v for 60 watts output. You should be OK with the low gain setting plus less noise perhaps.
    mazeeff

Post by mazeeff Wed May 16, 2018 12:50 pm

arledgsc wrote:The ST120 assembly manual states sensitivity is 0.6v for 60 watts output.  You should be OK with the low gain setting plus less noise perhaps.  

Never thought to look at my manual. It states the sensitivity as 1.4 volts for 60 watt output. You must have a different board.
    arledgsc
    arledgsc

Post by arledgsc Wed May 16, 2018 12:57 pm

Interesting... I have the low gain board. Perhaps Bob should answer. But if it sounds great with lower gain then use it.

From the manual I received with my low gain board.
    Sensitivity . . . . . . ………. 600 millivolts for 60 watt output
    jasn54

Post by jasn54 Wed May 16, 2018 1:36 pm

Uhhhh, my ST120 manual from 2015 specifies sensitivity as 1.1 volt in for 60 watt output.
    New2Tubez

Post by New2Tubez Wed May 16, 2018 2:01 pm

My ST-120 manual from 2/2018 reads: "Sensitivity.......... 1.4 volts for 60 watt output"
    arledgsc
    arledgsc

Post by arledgsc Wed May 16, 2018 3:10 pm

My low gain ST120 was ordered 2012 and Bob forwarded me a Word .doc of the manual while the unit was in shipment.

Obviously specs received are most likely for the high gain version of the amp. Sorry about that!
    arledgsc
    arledgsc

Post by arledgsc Wed May 16, 2018 4:01 pm

At 1.0V input the amp's output power is about 32W with 60W@1.4V sensitivity. And about 49W with 60W@1.1V sensitivity. 8 ohms impedance

Using a passive attenuator? Where is usually it set on the range control when listening? Cranking a passive attenuator all the way up would be a good thing. Are you running out of range?
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Wed May 16, 2018 4:10 pm

The input sensitivity of the new lower gain CCS driver board is about 1.3 - 1.4 volts for full output on the VTA ST-120.

The 600 millivolts for 60 watts out noted by arledgsc is for the older 12AT7 board used prior to April of 2012

Bob
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Wed May 16, 2018 6:46 pm

How about running 12AY7's on low input? That should put you in the ballpark for gain?
    mazeeff

Post by mazeeff Thu May 17, 2018 7:10 am

My ST120 is working well using the 1 volt output on my DAC, even though I'm running below the max of 1.4 volts. 40 watts or so, into a nice pair of Klipsch Cornwall's still makes things VERY loud!
    Kentley
    Kentley

Post by Kentley Sun May 20, 2018 8:22 pm

This brings up a topic which fascinates me, and which I've mentioned from time to time, in my inevitably non-techspeak manner. That is the sublety of soundscape when the relative levels of source, preamp, and power amp are fiddled with. My ears tell me that the whole "shape" of your sound is quite dependent on these balances. Which is why I advocate especially the obtaining of the stepped attenuator in ST-XXX models.
    One can materially change the way the system sounds by altering the levels. Nice to have sources adjustable as well; though I hear less difference, there is still a synergy which can be optimized to my taste. Try it. You'll love it.
    In tandem with the usual tube rolling, speaker placement, and room treatment odysissies, of course.
    tubenutr
    tubenutr

Post by tubenutr Mon May 21, 2018 3:35 am

Kentley wrote:This brings up a topic which fascinates me, and which I've mentioned from time to time, in my inevitably non-techspeak manner. That is the sublety of soundscape when the relative levels of source, preamp, and power amp are fiddled with. My ears tell me that the whole "shape" of your sound is quite dependent on these balances. Which is why I advocate especially the obtaining of the stepped attenuator in ST-XXX models.
    One can materially change the way the system sounds by altering the levels. Nice to have sources adjustable as well; though I hear less difference, there is still a synergy which can be optimized to my taste. Try it. You'll love it.
    In tandem with the usual tube rolling, speaker placement, and room treatment odysissies, of course.

poppycock
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Mon May 21, 2018 7:56 am

poppycock[/quote]

Well... .
    Sometimes.
    Certainly multiple attenuators will wreak havoc if not properly managed. Reasons for them:

a) A wild mismatch between the amp and the source. I have a number of pre-amps capable of putting out 12 V or more. Were "step one" at say, 3 V, a passive attenuator on the amp would be necessary.
    b) Feeding a non-attenuated source directly into the amp - such as a tuner without a VC - which, actually, is not a multiple. But, this does happen to be a very good reason to have a power-amp mounted volume control.

Reason against them:

If one has a proper pre-amp - that is one with a working VC, putting one in the amp is an additional point of signal management (distortion).

A few very good pre-amps allow for matching output levels such that they all are controlled equally by the main VC. This is a nice feature, but I have always been suspicious of that additional control in the system. I am OK with varying the main VC between sources. Some are not.

Note that I have mentioned nothing about sound-stage - that is an entirely different discussion, with electronics - given a minimum level of quality - having little impact, and then only after speakers, speaker placement, recording quality, room dynamics and much more. But too much signal management will make mush of about anything.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Mon May 21, 2018 4:49 pm

Poppycock?
    (I assUme we're not talking male representatives of genus Papaveraceae?

And I agree with Kentley.
    (That may be a first, and I'm sure that has him worried)  What a Face

Being able to control the line level at every step can make a substantial difference in what comes out the speakers. Each component is fed exactly what it needs for best performance at it's particular sweet spot. I've got attenuation at the pre and amp, as well as the individual sources, and sometimes the slightest tweaks can really make the music bloom or collapse.

One advantage to having dual attenuators on an amp is they act to balance the system too ... that can change as the signal passes through the system, even more so as the system gets more complex.

VTA ST120 Input Sensitivity Volume-setting

PS ... don't worry about unused watts ... even though I don't max the controls, I use every bit for head room when cranking it.
    tubenutr
    tubenutr

Post by tubenutr Mon May 21, 2018 9:55 pm

sKiZo wrote:Poppycock?
    (I assUme we're not talking male representatives of genus Papaveraceae?

And I agree with Kentley.
    (That may be a first, and I'm sure that has him worried)  What a Face

Being able to control the line level at every step can make a substantial difference in what comes out the speakers. Each component is fed exactly what it needs for best performance at it's particular sweet spot. I've got attenuation at the pre and amp, as well as the individual sources, and sometimes the slightest tweaks can really make the music bloom or collapse.

One advantage to having dual attenuators on an amp is they act to balance the system too ... that can change as the signal passes through the system, even more so as the system gets more complex.

VTA ST120 Input Sensitivity Volume-setting

PS ... don't worry about unused watts ... even though I don't max the controls, I use every bit for head room when cranking it.

What I should have said, is the more devices in the chain, the more distortions are getting between the music and the ear. IMHO
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Mon May 21, 2018 11:46 pm

Exactly why I try to keep things simple here ...

VTA ST120 Input Sensitivity Stereo-Block-Diagram-2013
    mazeeff

Post by mazeeff Tue May 22, 2018 5:02 am

sKiZo wrote:Exactly why I try to keep things simple here ...

sKiZoiD. You have a sickness, and may need some professional help! There must be $20,000 worth of gear there. That Sansui QRX-9001 is worth its weight in gold, in Japan! What happened to the simpler days, when we just had a turntable and amp?
    CletusB
    CletusB

Post by CletusB Tue May 22, 2018 4:20 pm

sKiZo wrote:Exactly why I try to keep things simple here ...

Holy Crap!    ......SWEET! Laughing
    mazeeff

Post by mazeeff Tue May 22, 2018 5:55 pm

Skizo's setup looks like one big giant ground loop to me! He must need that "noise reduction" unit to reduce the hum!

Last edited by mazeeff on Wed May 23, 2018 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Tue May 22, 2018 7:46 pm

And yet it's dead quiet in operation. Only noise I hear is a slight hum in the center channel tube amp, but that's a 50 year old Williamson design, and it's to be expected ...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:28 am