The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

Wedding Present

Peter W.

Wedding Present

Post by Peter W. on Fri May 25, 2018 8:50 am

We sponsor two Seminary Students on our third floor (it is a large house), one of whom is getting married in June. He has been with us for three years and is a fine person. Cutting to the chase, over these years, he has observed (and heard) my habits around music and audio equipment, liking the music, curious about the equipment. He is not-yet-30 and a graduate civil engineer.

So, I asked if he would like a system for a wedding present. After consultation with his fiance, he came back with an enthusiastic YES! With the caveat that they do not have a great deal of space.

He will be getting:

Dynaco A35 speakers - Or the AR4xa, his choice.
    SCA80Q - rebuilt Blackwood vintage.
    FM3 - upgraded.
    Sony 5-disc changer w/remote.

And associated peripherals, wires and cords.

And I get some space.
    aguaazul

Re: Wedding Present

Post by aguaazul on Fri May 25, 2018 11:35 am

Pretty slick setup & gift Peter. I googled "Dynaco Blackwood" and came up with a quick blurb about Dynaco moving offices there in '73. Were there any sonic differences with that iteration? The blurb says the neighborhood was a little sketchy at times, and that speaker design, and SS gear was a main focus, but that is about it.

Thanks,

Aguaazul
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. on Fri May 25, 2018 12:33 pm

aguaazul wrote:Pretty slick setup & gift Peter. I googled "Dynaco Blackwood" and came up with a quick blurb about Dynaco moving offices there in '73. Were there any sonic differences with that iteration? The blurb says the neighborhood was a little sketchy at times, and that speaker design, and SS gear was a main focus, but that is about it.

Thanks,

Aguaazul

Blackwood, NJ was the last, dying gasp of Dynaco. David Hafler sold out to Tyco, and Tyco went 'full factory' and union all at once. At about the same time, home audio started to move very quickly and seriously off-shore. Dynaco held out in Blackwood until about 1978 or so, dying by inches along the way. Their last tube products were produced at Jefferson Street (Strawberry Mansion neighborhood in Philadelphia - very sketchy) and only a very few SS products survived the transition to Blackwood past consuming existing stock, being the PAT-5, ST416, SCA80Q, FM5 and AF6. There was a major excess of PAT-4 components, so even though there was no new stock made after the move, there were sufficient kits in stock that they were being remaindered at $19 each for the full time Dynaco was in Blackwood, and even after the factory closed. Look at the price of these beasts today!

There is no sonic difference between Blackwood produced and the latest iteration Jefferson St. produced products. But ONLY the latest iterations came out of Blackwood.

Dynaco speakers were very nearly 100% third-party designed and built, imported under the Dynaco name to take advantage of the existing Dealer, distribution, service and support networks. I was at the Blackwood factory twice, and other than a few speakers on display in their products gallery, nothing was done on-site. But, in the latter days, some design work was done  in the US via Ed Laurent becoming involved in those products. Again, produced in Denmark using SEAS drivers. There is nothing "Dynaco" about the Panor-produced speakers but the name.

One thing the Blackwood factory did was entirely eliminate the jobbed-out piecework aspect of "factory assembled" Dynaco products, raising factory product quality significantly. In the "olden" days there was every chance that a kit-built product would be better made than a "factory-built" product. However, with the PAT-5 and 416s, (having assembled both), I could see where product complexity was approaching the limits of reliable kit assembly.
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 on Sat May 26, 2018 12:48 pm

Peter W. wrote:We sponsor two Seminary Students on our third floor (it is a large house), one of whom is getting married in June. He has been with us for three years and is a fine person. Cutting to the chase, over these years, he has observed (and heard) my habits around music and audio equipment, liking the music, curious about the equipment.  He is not-yet-30 and a graduate civil engineer.

So, I asked if he would like a system for a wedding present. After consultation with his fiance, he came back with an enthusiastic YES! With the caveat that they do not have a great deal of space.

He will be getting:

Dynaco A35 speakers - Or the AR4xa, his choice.
    SCA80Q - rebuilt Blackwood vintage.
    FM3 - upgraded.
    Sony 5-disc changer w/remote.

And associated peripherals, wires and cords.

And I get some space.
    This a fine gift, PeterW.Tell him for me he's a fool if he doesn't snag those A-35s.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:23 pm