The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

File music converter

cci1492
    cci1492

File music converter Empty File music converter

Post by cci1492 Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:20 pm

I'm looking to convert all my CDs to FLAC or something similar. What are you guys using to do this? I did a few using Windows Media Player, is this good enough? Thanks.
    Kramer
    Kramer

File music converter Empty Re: File music converter

Post by Kramer Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:40 am

As long as your settings are good it should be the same as any other ripping software. I have heard great things about using foobar2000 for ripping cd's and used it to re-encode my music collection.
    StevieRay

File music converter Empty A few solutions....

Post by StevieRay Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:41 am

I've tried several over the years, and have ripped my whole CD collection to FLAC files -- which Windows Media Player doesn't natively support, at least it didn't last time I tried -- but there is a FLAC 'plug-in' available for WMP.

These all work with good result, and can be bit perfect if setup correctly:

dbPowerAmp CD Ripper ($$):  https://www.dbpoweramp.com/

Exact Audio Copy (free):  http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/

JRiver Media Center ($$):  not just a ripper, but an excellent all-around ripper, player, swiss-army-knife of everything (even video/DVD's, etc).  Costs a little, but well worth it:  https://www.jriver.com/.  I't what I use, and it works well with all USB DACs I've ever tried.

Foobar 2000 is also very good, and is free, but much more fiddley to work with.  However if you're willing to learn all its features, it's very customizable, etc.
    cci1492
    cci1492

Post by cci1492 Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:13 am

Wow that's good information! Thanks for taking the time to educate me on this.
    aguaazul
    aguaazul

Post by aguaazul Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:21 pm

+1 for JRiver. EAC (Exact Audio Copy) is the best and it's what JRiver uses.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:24 pm

Big fan of jRiver Media Center. Pop the CD in the computer drive, click rip, sit back and watch the show. Software will automatically look up tags and cover images as well, then sort the new rips into your library for easy access.

jRiver uses EAC Lite as the ripping engine, so you get all the benefits without having to screw around with settings in the standard EAC package. Lots of format options, but just a one time setup to tell it what to do during conversion.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:04 am