The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

The (hopefully) future of electricity!

corndog71
    corndog71

The (hopefully) future of electricity! Empty The (hopefully) future of electricity!

Post by corndog71 Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:47 pm

sKiZo
    sKiZo

The (hopefully) future of electricity! Empty Re: The (hopefully) future of electricity!

Post by sKiZo Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:54 pm

Looking forward to paying 62% less for electricity when this is implemented ...

SLAP!
    (wake up, you're dreaming!)
    WLT
    WLT

The (hopefully) future of electricity! Empty Re: The (hopefully) future of electricity!

Post by WLT Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:54 am

I was a lead engineer designing electric substations for almost 40 years before retiring. I hope the high tech solutions outlined in this article can be implemented. The reality of what I see makes me somewhat skeptical however. Some basic grid info. Every power transformer has impedance of which some is pure resistance. The power lines obviously have some pure resistance. Substation circuit breakers are rated as 2000 or 3000 amp. Many times running that high that but still 1000 amps is not uncommon.

We always ran overheating calculations at peak loading of transformers, breakers, bus, etc. This heating is all watts loss from the high current thru the low but real resistance. All of that will remain regardless what the new technologies try to do with other portions of the electricity use.

Good luck to them as they optimize the grid. It needs optimizing but there may not be the level of efficiency they think available.
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:08 am

On an "At the Wallplate" level, bluntly, nothing needs "optimizing" unless it is an AC motor. That is what power-supplies do. And AC motors are such sloppy devices anyway, they just don't care that much unless the power is really wretched.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:59 am